Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 6:33 Quote
MTBRemco wrote:
Thinking about changing from the aeris 145 LT to an AM9. Just wondering about the sizing. I am 177 cm and previously I rode an canyon spectral medium with 400 reach and 50 stem. I moved on to the bird aeris. Much better sizing wise with 481 reach and 32 stem.

Following the sizing guide I should be on a M/L AM9. Though wondering to chose a medium with slightly longer stem (40 or 50). Reason is that I find the aeris not that playfull, and really hard to get on the back wheel properly (with a mates spectral large i fly over the back wheel with ease during a manual attempt).

Has anyone downsized? Was planning to equip it with a 160mm fork.

I ride xc tracks, bikeparks (winterberg, verbier, pila, la thuille) and also alpine tracks (la grave, solden, verbier, garda lake). The short switchbacks are ok to do when i remember myself to weigh the front enough.

Any suggestions, ideas, tips etc?

A shorter front end won't help with manuals.

The AM9 has 5 mm longer chainstays, which may seem like it would reduce the ability to manual, but the suspension is softer off the top (i.e. more progressive), so it's easier to sink into the travel when you pull up. Neither bike is the easiest to manual, but you can adapt to it eventually.

I'm a fan of long bikes, so I would put you on the M/L size to take advantage of the stability the AM9 can offer. Size M will fit you like a mainstream brand's size Medium or Large, if that's what you prefer. Neither is a clearly right or wrong choice.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 9:55 Quote
I haven't come across any comments on AM9 (or other Birds) equipped with RS Megneg air can. Anybody riding one? I just ordered one out of curiosity so asking for comments is a bit late, but how does it play with AM9?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:04 Quote
TLa wrote:
I haven't come across any comments on AM9 (or other Birds) equipped with RS Megneg air can. Anybody riding one? I just ordered one out of curiosity so asking for comments is a bit late, but how does it play with AM9?

I have just fitted one to my 120LT, so a bit different but it is really supple early on in the travel. You have to add around 10% more air pressure to achieve the same sag. So it will make bottoming out harder and offer more mid stoke support. I need more time on it, but happy with the upgrade so far.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:05 Quote
TLa wrote:

Since I just finished writing a message to another AM9 owner on the topic, I might as well copy and paste!

bigquotesMy view is that all air springs need as much negative spring as they can get, so there's rarely a case when the MegNeg isn't ideal. If there ever is a case for not having the MegNeg, it's on a super progressive bike, so the AM9 isn't a bike that desperately needs the MegNeg. As I said, though, it's generally not a bad thing.

If the bike is too progressive, indicated by inability to use full travel with proper sag and compression damping, the solution is to make the positive spring less progressive. You can do this with a larger volume positive chamber or a coil shock. I'm not sure whether the MegNeg comes with a higher volume positive chamber or whether a standalone high-volume positive chamber is available for the Super Deluxe.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
I remember reading that the pos chamber is the same, it's just an increase in the neg side. I figured the can could work on AM9 with max amount of spacer bands in the neg side. We'll see...

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 5:39 Quote
Calling all Large AM9 Owners - how does the long wheelbase play with bike bags? I've got an EVOC pro which says it can take up to 1240mm, but off the top of my head i think the large clocks in at about 1265?

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 7:43 Quote
I had to deflate the fork to make my L fit in an Evoc XL bike bag, and even then it was tight but doable.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 8:22 Quote
TLa wrote:
I had to deflate the fork to make my L fit in an Evoc XL bike bag, and even then it was tight but doable.

And what about the shock, Did you deflate that too? Dont think theres a huge difference between the normal and XL bags

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 10:20 Quote
holt1997 wrote:
TLa wrote:

And what about the shock, Did you deflate that too? Dont think theres a huge difference between the normal and XL bags

Just the fork.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
holt1997 wrote:
Calling all Large AM9 Owners - how does the long wheelbase play with bike bags? I've got an EVOC pro which says it can take up to 1240mm, but off the top of my head i think the large clocks in at about 1265?

Deflate the fork and/or flip the fork backwards to create negative offset. My Aeris 145 fit into the previous generation base-model EVOC bag; haven't tried the AM9.

The 27.5" wheels with 2.5" tires barely fit in the bag. No chance to fit my 29" x 2.6" tires without fully deflating them, so pack a good pump!

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 11:45 Quote
Yeah, 29er wheels with any real tires are the real problem eith the normal Evoc. Deflated 2.35 schwalbes are about the maximum, and even then it'll take sweat and swearing. In that regard the XL bag was super easy, plenty of wheel space.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 6:46 Quote
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the bird owners Club, ordered a XL aeris am9. I am 190 cm tall (inseam 91,5 cm). Can't wait!! It's already in the building queue... I'll post a Picture when it hast arrived.

Greetings!

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 2:46 Quote
A prospective am9 owner here;
Considering You can now spec a super deluxe coil on the aeris’, would a deluxe ultimate with the megneg air can be a better option than the super deluxe ultimate coil with the correct spring weight or vice versa, both overall amount to about the same cost in the full build,
Any advice is much appreciated

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 7:55 Quote

my aeris 145
xtr groupset with sram carbon crank
xtr 4 pot brakes
lyrik ultimate with Push hc97 cartridge
nextie carbon rims

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 8:07 Quote
pdono325 wrote:
A prospective am9 owner here;
Considering You can now spec a super deluxe coil on the aeris’, would a deluxe ultimate with the megneg air can be a better option than the super deluxe ultimate coil with the correct spring weight or vice versa, both overall amount to about the same cost in the full build,
Any advice is much appreciated

The coil will always be a little better, if the kinematics are favourable (as they are), but the difference is getting small. A Super Deluxe with the MegNeg and zero volume reducers isn't far off from a coil and there's about a pound of difference in weight.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012648
Mobile Version of Website