Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 4:50 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
KnoblyKnees wrote:
AM9 owners, Anyone gone up to a 160mm fork?

Yes.

KnoblyKnees wrote:
did it make much difference to the handling?

No.

Same here.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 1:59 Quote
My AM9 turned up yesterday! Need to get a cable for my dropper but am looking forward to the first ride, my only complaint is the excessive length of the brake cables lol Will shorten those at some point

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 3:03 Quote
holt1997 wrote:
My AM9 turned up yesterday! Need to get a cable for my dropper but am looking forward to the first ride, my only complaint is the excessive length of the brake cables lol Will shorten those at some point

Noice. Really itching for a full suss frame now. Anyone wanna donate me a 120LT? Beer

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 9:43 Quote
God I wish they would do a 145 in raw.

Wanna pull the trigger now but don’t like any of the colours on offer.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 9:46 Quote
Lfcrik wrote:
holt1997 wrote:
HardingTrail wrote:
Ah not such a bargain after all then. A few carbon frames I’ve seen for around that so I need to decide what I’m doing.

Intense, Bird, Orange or Canyon for this build.

Cheers for the info

Yeah, I think the value for bird comes through buying complete bikes. Before buying a full bike from Bird I looked just getting a frame but, for me, I didn't think it was worth it.

I disagree, I built mine from frame only, I found it refreshing that I could purchase as a bare frame without being forced to purchase a shock I didn’t want to use and really enjoyed the process and found through shopping around and scoring a few deals I could build up a bike exactly as I wanted for a fraction of what a similar spec should have cost on the configurator.

I think £1000 ish for a bare brand new alloy frame is a pretty good price, slightly undercutting commencal - there are regularly nearly new shocks going through eBay that will fit for £100-200 if you want to keep it cheap.

Personally I already had a really good rear shock from my previous bike and for around £200 I had it tuned, serviced, the stroke lengthened and custom shimmed to fit and suit the AM9s suspension curve

Where did you buy your shock and mounting hardware?

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 12:40 Quote
J-tech for both mate - im on an ohlins TTX

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
Max rider weight regarding annoying flex when stretching a 2018/2019 27.5 boost Pike from 140 to 160mm?

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 13:06 Quote
So, i'm going to have about anywhere from £2650-2750 fairly soon to spend on an am9, what's peoples absolute best recommendations spec wise for my money?
many thanks

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 13:38 Quote
Do you have an old bike from which you can transfer parts or do you need everything new? Because if you build it up completely yourself I would recommend the manitou mezzer pro. Absolute stellar fork. If you go for a complete bike, take the basic model and use the rest of the money for tuning the suspension

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 14:12 Quote
bansaiman wrote:
take the basic model and use the rest of the money for tuning the suspension

Exactly. Put your money into suspension and tires. And ensure your saddle and grips are very comfortable. The performance of everything else is almost a binary system: i.e. it works or it fails, not a matter of how well it works.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 6:11 Quote
Anyone bought a 145 recently and it’s come branded as an AM?

Mine came today and I was expecting all the graphics to say 145, like the top tube etc but it says AM.

I thought the AM was a different frame.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 6:13 Quote
Ignore that Bird got back to me.

For anyone else buying one you get an AM with the revised cable routing.

Very happy and can’t wait to build now.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 15:29 Quote
HardingTrail wrote:
with the revised cable routing.

Judging by previous pictures, I think I've got one of the first few AM9s with the revised routing as well. It's cleaned it up well but the mount I got to put a bottle cage on didnt match up to the bolt holes (got a new one coming in the post).

Although I'm not too sure if this mount will let me fit a bottle in the frame anyway, I tried to fit my bottle and cage on top of the mount earlier and it didnt work.

I've seen that people have been using di2 adapters - is this the right one?

https://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360038136/shimano-duraace-battery-mount.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 15:35 Quote
Picked my second hand Mk 1 aeris up earlier this year.
Excellent spec and £650.
Wonderful bike.
So much fun, and seems to be able to do anything and everything.
Proud to own it.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 15:41 Quote
If i could figure out how to post a pic I'd put one up for a collective appraisal and a bit of mutual aeris back slapping.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012410
Mobile Version of Website