Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 5:49 Quote
What size of Aeris would you guys suggest for a 180cm tall person? I fall right between the size guide so i'm not sure.

My current bikes are both 455mm reach which I ride with a 50mm stem.

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 7:07 Quote
aldo56 wrote:
What size of Aeris would you guys suggest for a 180cm tall person? I fall right between the size guide so i'm not sure.

What are the stack values? Reach is incomplete without factoring in stack.

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 8:13 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
aldo56 wrote:

What are the stack values? Reach is incomplete without factoring in stack.

Hardtail:
Reach: 456mm
Stack: 610mm
50mm stem

Fully:
Reach: 455mm
Stack: 610mm
50mm stem

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 8:24 Quote
aldo56 wrote:

I'm 177cm and ride a Medium-long. Just switched from a 45mm stem to a 35mm, both felt good though.
I like the extra length compared to my last bike. I don't think I'd want the seattube etc any higher though!

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 8:27 Quote
Same stack, too. Neat.

I'm about 183 cm. Rode a Large Aeris 145 / 160 and now a Large AM9 with 40 mm stem. I like it. It's long enough that not-very-technical trails are now boring and slow-and-tight trails are a bit trickier. The real difference is that fast-and-rowdy trails are dramatically changed - more than I expected, and I expected a lot.

If you prefer a more agile bike and your trails are tight, you'll probably prefer the ML. If you can live with a slight feeling of trying to parallel park a limousine on janky trails, the L will be more rewarding at high speeds.

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 9:17 Quote
I am 183, I got the ML.

That’s spot on for me. Works well on technical terrain and in the tights, but still stable at speed.

Posted: Sep 29, 2019 at 13:37 Quote
AM9 Riders and Shredders!

I've been asking around about rear tyres as my frame is on the way!

I have been reading a lot of conflicting answers some say 'insert brand' 2.5 is great on 30mm rim then someone else same 30mm rim and 2.5 tyre rubs in corners etc and would love to know what you are running successfully without rubbing when riding hard and what width rim?

Keen to get the widest tyre I can as I love the volume but do not want to be rubbing the seat stays etc every hard turn. Any 2.6 Specialized tyres fit? Running 2.5 Maxxis? Fire away!

Posted: Sep 29, 2019 at 15:12 Quote
I'll repost our conversation from my photo gallery. Maybe someone else here will find the information more valuable.

phlhughes wrote:
Hows the clearance for the 2.6 on the rear? Did you stick with that?

R-M-R wrote:
Depends who's measuring!

Tightest spot is on the seatstays, beside the side lugs. Clearance elsewhere is always adequate.

• Specialized Purgatory 2.6": Loads of clearance ... because it's not really a 2.6".
• Vittoria Martello 2.6": Adequate clearance. Lugs are clustered toward the centre of the tire, so they don't stick out as far, providing good clearance.
• IRC Tanken 2.6": Tight, but okay.
• Kenda Nevegal2 2.6": Trimmed about 1 mm off the outside of the side lugs; still buzzes the seatstays frequently. It measures 2.6" on a 30 mm rim and about 2.65" on a 36 mm rim, which is what I mainly used for testing.

phlhughes wrote:
Thanks for that - someone mentioned their Spec Eliminator 2.6 rubs when cornering on a 30mm rim. Is the 2.6 purgatory ok when charging hard? Cheers trying to choose the widest non- rubbing tyre I can but everyone saying 2.5 maxxis is great and someone else says 2.5 maxxi rubs etc so who knows lol

R-M-R wrote:
Specialized can write whatever they want on the sidewall, but that doesn't make it true. The 2.6" Purgatory simply isn't a 2.6" tire - it's smaller than some nominally 2.5" tires. On my 36 mm (internal) rims, it does not rub the stays. The tire's box lists the actual width of the tire on various rims and all measurements are well under 2.6", so Specialized even acknowledges the problem - and these listed widths are still a tiny bit short of the actual width.

It's possible Specialized has become more honest with their sizing on the Eliminator. Would be easy to do: just use last year's also-fraudulently-sized 2.8" casing and rename it 2.6".

I can only reiterate what I wrote earlier:

• 2.6" Kenda Nevegal2: Rubs frequently, even with at least 1 mm trimmed off the outer edges of the side lugs. Slightly oversized. Visibly larger than the other tires.
• 2.6" IRC Tanken: Rubs occasionally. True to size.
• 2.6" Vittoria Martello: May rub once in a rare while, but not enough to worry about, if at all. Slightly undersized. Tread is clustered toward the centre: looks like a 2.4" tread on a 2.5" casing.
• 2.6" Specialized Purgatory: Doesn't rub because it's not 2.6". GRID casing is fragile, too: three punctures in about a dozen rides.

And yes, this is charging hard.

My recommendation is the Vittoria Martello as largest tire that will fit with minimal rubbing. The combination of large casing and narrow tread makes full use of the available space and the tire has a nice ride quality, especially for the rear.

Posted: Sep 29, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
Good info there for people - hoping anyone has any ideas on other options. Butcher, Shorty, HillBilly, DHF, DHR, WTB's, Schwalbe etc

Posted: Sep 29, 2019 at 15:45 Quote
I'm familiar with WTB's pre-production Vigilante and Trail Boss. If these are what went into production, without modification, they were originally going to be labelled 2.65" and are larger than other 2.6" tires. If they were scaled down at the last minute, I can't speak to the volume. WTB's website indicates they're 65 mm wide, which is slightly less than the CAD drawings, so maybe there was a last-minute adjustment to bring them in line with other 2.6" tires. A true 65 mm tire (on 29 mm rim) would still be too wide for the AM9, but Vittoria's CAD also indicates 65 mm on a 30 mm rim and it measures 64 mm on my 36 mm rims, so there's no way to be certain without testing. Kenda's CAD shows 66 mm on a 35 mm rim, which should be narrower than the others, but it's true to size.

WTB's 2.5" Convict and Breakout fit on the rear of my Aeris 145 without any rubbing. The casing of the Convict is 2.6", but the lugs are small and centralized. The Breakout has a more modest casing, but large lugs with considerable wrap, resulting in about the same clearance as the Breakout. Minor lug trimming would guarantee a fit for the Convict. I was a big fan of the Convict's lugs, by the way, but WTB's "Light" casing was too fragile prior to their factory change and the "Tough" was too heavy and slow for my taste.

A Maxxis Rekon 2.6" should fit, based on my experiences with it on other bikes, but a Minion warrants testing to confirm.

Posted: Sep 29, 2019 at 23:22 Quote
The British U21 team crushed the competition today to take home gold
GB = Great Bird !

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 2:51 Quote
Having the tightest spot at seatstays seems like a slight oversight, but if i recall Dan H. mentioned at some point in bird fb gruppo that if enough want they can do more clearance seatstay upgrades.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 4:16 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:
Having the tightest spot at seatstays seems like a slight oversight, but if i recall Dan H. mentioned at some point in bird fb gruppo that if enough want they can do more clearance seatstay upgrades.

Yes, they mentioned they're testing a rear with a bit more clearance and stiffness, both of which would be welcome.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
Thought I'd post my Bird. Built it this summer and I've been riding it pretty much exclusively except for some XC races.
Bird Aeris AM 160
It's a Bird Aeris 160, size XL. The fork is a MRP Bartlett at 180mm travel, not really supported by Bird so I guess my warranty is void.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 3:36 Quote
SiriW wrote:
Thought I'd post my Bird. Built it this summer and I've been riding it pretty much exclusively except for some XC races.
Bird Aeris AM 160
It's a Bird Aeris 160, size XL. The fork is a MRP Bartlett at 180mm travel, not really supported by Bird so I guess my warranty is void.

Check the a2c. Someone asked about using a dual crown fork a ehile ago in the fb grpup and someone from bird replied that as long as the a2c is less than a 170 mmlyric its fine Smile

Now to the real question, how does it compare to a single crown fork?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011185
Mobile Version of Website