Bird Aeris owners thread

| Next Page
Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 2:27 Quote
pdono325 wrote:
im 6ft (185cm) the large i rode had a 170mm dropper on it with no post showing out the seat tube along with 170mm cranks and it was absolutely perfect for me.

I am leaning towards M/L as this would allow a longer dropper and the reach is still more than enough based on other bikes I've tried. But I recall some people here with the exact same height as I am (183 cm) were riding both L and M/L, all of them happy with their choice Smile

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 11:15 Quote
Joemmo wrote:
I'm not really getting the strap-all-the-things-to-your-bike trend. What's the advantage? I just have a bag ready with all the things in that I put on my back. Nothing rattles, gets dirty or falls off.

1. Cooler and drier back.

2. Nothing bounces around and feels clumsy; unencumbered.

3. Less fatigue from less weight to support.

4. Suspension works better due to improved sprung:unsprung mass ratio.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 15:46 Quote
My new AM9
Size L
Rockshox Lyrik Select
Rockshox Deluxe Select +
New XT 4 pot
XT 12spd drivetrain

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 13:53 Quote
Hi, sorry if this had already been asked on the thread.
I currently ride a Kona Process 134 but I'm looking at getting either the aeris 120LT with the 130mm linkage or the 145.
How much difference is there in climbing ability between the two?
Also which one would be the better all rounder?
Thanks

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
Counterintuitively, I recommend the 145 as the better climber.

If you set up the shock of the 145 with a little more pressure (less sag) and no volume reducers, the 145 will benefit from:

• a steeper seat-tube angle that offers better ergonomics
• firmer spring rate early in the travel to keep you higher in the travel
• higher anti-squat for less pedal-induced squat

Unless you're a big guy, ensure the shock has a Low-Low tune to keep it supple, as that can be the main drawback of the 145, especially if it has a Mid-Mid tune. If you get a RockShox shock, I recommend the MegNeg air can on the 145.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 22:10 Quote
I weigh approx 68kg and usually run my suspension with less sag, so in theory the 145 should be all good?

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 22:47 Quote
Yes, that sounds reasonable.

The "LT" versions have revised leverage curves that favour more sag. If you like a firm, minimal sag set-up, the kinematics of the original models may suit you better. The "LT" versions aren't extreme, though, and you wouldn't dislike either version. The AM9, however, does require more sag than typical.

Ensure the shock has a Low-Low tune and I recommend the MegNeg if you get a RockShox shock.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 3:55 Quote
i currently have an am160 with a deluxe select plus, would a megneg be a worthwhile choice on the am160? i am also running a 150mm yari (going to up it to 160mm air shaft soon), is a vorsprung luftkappe a decent choice on top of the debonair shaft or is the debonair good enough as it is.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 6:14 Quote
pdono325 wrote:
i currently have an am160 with a deluxe select plus, would a megneg be a worthwhile choice on the am160? i am also running a 150mm yari (going to up it to 160mm air shaft soon), is a vorsprung luftkappe a decent choice on top of the debonair shaft or is the debonair good enough as it is.

I will almost always vote in favour of larger negative springs. The leverage curve of the AM160 isn't in desperate need of the MegNeg, as is the case for the 145, but I can't see why a person wouldn't want softer initial travel and firmer midstroke on an air shock.

Same goes for the Yari. The only argument against a Luftkappe is that you might be better off spending the money to upgrade the Motion Control damper to the Charger.

Here's what Vorsprung says about the Debonair and Luftkappe:

bigquotes9. What about 2018 Debonair? Does that make the Luftkappe redundant?

For 2018, the Pike's Solo Air spring was updated to be more similar to the Lyrik/Yari, which had a larger negative chamber than the Pike. Lyrik/Yari were essentially unchanged except the shape of the topout bumper. All of them were given the "Debonair" name even though only one of them changed substantially. 2018 Pikes, Lyriks and Yaris benefit every bit as much from the Luftkappe as the previous generations.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009588
Mobile Version of Website