Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 5:28 Quote
piersgritten wrote:
Hey, just wondering if anyone is selling a coil shock to fit an am9 (230*65)
Cheers!

If I'm allowed to promote my own, yes, I have a like new, freshly rebuilt DHX2 for sale

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
piersgritten wrote:
Cheers!

Get a dvo jade for 299 euros.

Cheers

Patrick

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 12:31 Quote
bansaiman wrote:
piersgritten wrote:
Cheers!

Cheers

Patrick
where can I find one for this price?

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 13:02 Quote
piersgritten wrote:
bansaiman wrote:
piersgritten wrote:
Cheers!

Cheers

Patrick
where can I find one for this price?

Bike24 in Germany has the 230x65 Jade for 315euro

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=308359;menu=1000,2,119;mid%5B843%5D=1;sort=price_desc

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 1:36 Quote
Great. Just canceoled my order on another shop snd ordered the jade at Bike24. Tuesday it ll findits way into my Birdy

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 7:56 Quote
wrote:
wrote:

Bike24 in Germany has the 230x65 Jade for 315euro

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=308359;menu=1000,2,119;mid%5B843%5D=1;sort=price_desc
Looks great! Does anyone have one and do they work well?

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 11:47 Quote
Had it in my patrol. It is great. Very smooth. Good damping design

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 14:34 Quote
Hi All, I'm a previous Mk 1 owner and I'm just spec'ing up an AM9 build. Going to go with the RockShox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate RCT option as part of a full build (unless anyone can give me a reason not to). Given how progressive the frame is I'd like some advice on spring weight. My riding weight varies between 89-93kgs depending on where I am in a strength training program and how much water I carry. The TFTuned spring calculator is recommending a 393-411lb spring range for that weight at 33% sag. Should I just go with 400lb or is there a general pattern that others have found of consistently needing to go above/below the TF recommendations for the AM9? Thanks!

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 15:54 Quote
drwavey wrote:
Hi All, I'm a previous Mk 1 owner and I'm just spec'ing up an AM9 build. Going to go with the RockShox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate RCT option as part of a full build (unless anyone can give me a reason not to). Given how progressive the frame is I'd like some advice on spring weight. My riding weight varies between 89-93kgs depending on where I am in a strength training program and how much water I carry. The TFTuned spring calculator is recommending a 393-411lb spring range for that weight at 33% sag. Should I just go with 400lb or is there a general pattern that others have found of consistently needing to go above/below the TF recommendations for the AM9? Thanks!

I'm around 80 - 85 kg, depending on how much gear I'm bringing and how much "winter hibernation preparedness" I have yet to shed. My link is the original (more progressive) and my spring is 350 lb/in with an EXT Arma shock - i.e. the hydraulic bottom-out feature lets me run a slightly softer spring than I might otherwise.

First - and most importantly: Bird is switching to a less-progressive link. The original link is very progressive; the new link is moderately progressive. Know which link you're getting.

Highly progressive bikes can run more sag, since the linkage firms up enough to avoid bottoming out. To put it another way, if you aren't bottoming out excessively on a less progressive bike with 33% sag, you may never see full travel with the same sag on a highly progressive bike. For this reason, the original link works best with a softer spring and the new link is best with an average to slightly softer spring. You might want a bit more than 33% sag with the original link; that amount should be fine with the new link.

Consider the damper tune you want to use. At your weight, you could use either a Low or Mid compression tune; you'll probably want a Low rebound tune either way.

Contact Bird to get their ideas, as no one will be more familiar with the product than them. Some configurations I would suggest:

• Most glued-to-the-ground: Original link, Mid compression, soft spring (i.e. at least 35% sag)
• Most lively: New link, Low compression, medium spring with a little preload or firm spring without preload (max. 30% sag)
• Most aggressive: Original link, Mid compression, medium spring (around 33% sag)
• For the rider who rarely bottoms out: New link, Low compression, medium spring
• Middle ground for a fairly aggressive rider: Original link with Low compression or new link with Mid compression, medium spring

If you get the original link, 400 lb/in is pretty firm. Might be okay with a Low compression tune; likely too much with a Mid tune. 375 lb/in could work with either compression tune.

If you get the new link, 400 lb/in should be fine with a Low compression tune. I'd still suggest 375 lb/in with a Mid tune. 375 lb/in could work even with a Low tune, unless you generally have issues with excessive bottoming out.

Posted: Feb 2, 2020 at 0:31 Quote
drwavey wrote:

I weight pretty much exactly the same. My specs:

AM9 Large, original link
Öhlins ttx22m, C45 compression tune
450lbs spring

I rode a 425lbs spring for some months and thought it was good. I then tried the 450lbs spring and it really unlocked the potential of the bike for agressive riding, both up and down the hill. Sure it's a matter of preference to some extent. I have no idea what the sag is, I go by riding feel. FWIW, I think the guys at bird recommended a 450 spring for my weight when I briefly had a Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil on the bike.

Posted: Feb 2, 2020 at 0:36 Quote
Interesting. Maybe I've underestimated how much compression damping I have, relative to the Super Deluxe. I do run a lot of sag with the original link.

If so, the suggested set-ups are still valid, but raise the suggested spring rates.

Posted: Feb 2, 2020 at 1:05 Quote
@R-M-R Thoughts on the new Aether 7? I’m holding out for that 29er version; but this does look rad

Posted: Feb 2, 2020 at 7:09 Quote
colourofsound wrote:
@R-M-R Thoughts on the new Aether 7? I’m holding out for that 29er version; but this does look rad

It's a freshened-up Aeris 120 with tweaks to the geometry and kinematics:

• Modern geometry, but not too extreme. Short chainstays will be fun, albeit a little imbalanced with the long front-centre. Fits with the character of the bike.
• Progressive motion ratio. More than the Aeris; less than the original AM9.
• Low pedaling anti-squat. Same as or similar to the Aeris 120; considerably lower than the AM9. Minimal kickback while pedaling, but not as "crisp" as most bikes released recently.

The anti-squat could be a deliberate change in thinking in response to the high kickback of the AM9 or just a reuse of the existing BB + pivot extrusion. Although I like the high anti-squat of the AM9 and can live with the kickback, I can understand why some people would want less. A bike with less travel will already have less kickback, simply due to having less travel, so I was hoping for higher anti-squat; maybe we'll see it on an Aether 9.

Posted: Feb 2, 2020 at 7:24 Quote
TLa wrote:
drwavey wrote:

I weight pretty much exactly the same. My specs:

AM9 Large, original link
Öhlins ttx22m, C45 compression tune
450lbs spring

I rode a 425lbs spring for some months and thought it was good. I then tried the 450lbs spring and it really unlocked the potential of the bike for agressive riding, both up and down the hill. Sure it's a matter of preference to some extent. I have no idea what the sag is, I go by riding feel. FWIW, I think the guys at bird recommended a 450 spring for my weight when I briefly had a Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil on the bike.

Excellent, thanks very much. Did you not get on with the Super Deluxe?

Posted: Feb 2, 2020 at 7:37 Quote
drwavey wrote:
Excellent, thanks very much. Did you not get on with the Super Deluxe?

I actually never got to ride a functioning one. I first had a faulty SD Air, then that was replaced by a SD coil as a warranty upgrade. The SD coil I got was faulty also, and that was replaced with another faulty SD coil. All the faulty ones apparently were assembled poorly, and thus had what I think was play in the main piston. The poor assembly was confirmed to me while I was in possession of the second SD coil. It's actually easy to fix once diagnosed. I had the shock rebuilt and sold it. Bird/Sram recalled the faulty batch, and Bird's support in the matter was outstanding as always. The reason I ended up with the sweet Öhlins shock was that a friend sold his and it was too good a deal to pass.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005744
Mobile Version of Website