Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 13:18 Quote
Even if the bike wasn't a great climber (it is, though), it's better to have an imperfect type of bike that fits you. A big bike, like the AM9 XL, is a good choice.

I've been very happy with both the pedaling and descending of the AM9. The pedaling anti-squat is among the highest on the market, so it's very responsive to pedaling inputs. I recommend the new "3R" link option, as this will allow you to run less sag and still use full travel.

You might also consider Bird's new Aether. Wheel size isn't such a big factor, the geometry is well suited to descending, and the reduced travel will keep it feeling firm.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
I am 29er only. Stuck on that one. Thanks for the input. This is the way I am leaning. I do like a good fit. I also have a Ripmo AF parts kit that will fit nicely onto it.

I am also considering a a new Rakan 1.3 as I can get the whole bike for $2500 out the door. Only issue is the low stack height, but will still be (adjusted for spacers) about 15mm longer than my Ripmo AF...., but about 10mm shorter than the AM9. I just really like a good deal...

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 14:03 Quote
The Rakan is also a great choice, though it's effectively 16 mm shorter, once you account for stack.

Below are some others you may want to consider. I've included the reach, compared to the AM9 (accounting for stack; positive is longer). If you want a properly long bike, there's no substitute for a Pole or Nicolai, but the prices are obviously an issue.

Make - Model - Size - Reach Comparison
Giant Reign 29 XL -3
Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol 4 Long 4
Guerrilla Gravity Smash XL 11
Kavenz VHP 16 XL 1
Kavenz VHP 16 XXL 21
Last Glen XXL 6
Nukeproof Mega 290 XL -4
Raaw Madonna v2 XL 2
Santa Cruz Hightower XXL 8
Santa Cruz Megatower XXL 8
Santa Cruz Tallboy XXL 3
Transition Sentinel XXL -1
Trek Fuel EX 29 XXL 0

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 14:55 Quote
jtm wrote:
I am 29er only. Stuck on that one. Thanks for the input. This is the way I am leaning. I do like a good fit. I also have a Ripmo AF parts kit that will fit nicely onto it.

I am also considering a a new Rakan 1.3 as I can get the whole bike for $2500 out the door. Only issue is the low stack height, but will still be (adjusted for spacers) about 15mm longer than my Ripmo AF...., but about 10mm shorter than the AM9. I just really like a good deal...

Just out of curiosity, what made you part ways with the Ripmo AF?

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 15:02 Quote
wrote:
Arierep wrote:

I feel like top tube while sitting is short. Reach is also a little short. I have had to run a 60mm stem and still feels cramped on the climbs - getting numb hands.

Other than that - for me - it is great and I dig it. I have had some pretty good climbs on it. Cruises on the way down, not sure I would call it playful but it is okay...I hope they do a Ripley AF with longer measurements....

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 18:08 Quote
wrote:
jtm wrote:
Arierep wrote:

I feel like top tube while sitting is short. Reach is also a little short. I have had to run a 60mm stem and still feels cramped on the climbs - getting numb hands.

Other than that - for me - it is great and I dig it. I have had some pretty good climbs on it. Cruises on the way down, not sure I would call it playful but it is okay...I hope they do a Ripley AF with longer measurements....
what size were you on/height are you?

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 18:32 Quote
Lfcrik wrote:

• Last post on the previous page: He's 6'5".
• His Buy / Sell page: XL

jtm, in addition to getting a longer bike, would more rise help? One of my ride partners is 6'4" and is a lot happier on a bar with huge rise, even with his XL Bird. Answer and ProTaper make a 3" rise bar.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 23:33 Quote
jtm wrote:

Worth noting that if you can wait a bit, Bird will definitely be bringing out a 29er equivalent to the Aether; they confirmed it in Instagram comments. Seems they’re fine tuning it currently; I reckon it will be a summer release

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 23:45 Quote
colourofsound wrote:
Bird will definitely be bringing out a 29er equivalent to the Aether

It's about time!

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 3:41 Quote
Meanwhile, confession time:
After an year with my Stumpjumper Evo, I'm seriously considering to buy my old AM9 frame back. Love many things about the Evo, like the custom build I assembled and the way it corners, but miss the AM9s longer reach, higher BB and slightly steeper HA. Also, never bent shock bolts on that one...

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 5:16 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
colourofsound wrote:

It's about time!

I haven't quite understood if it's going to be a shorter travel 29er or a new 150(160)/150 bike changing out the AM9?

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 5:24 Quote
Thorjensen wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
colourofsound wrote:

It's about time!

I haven't quite understood if it's going to be a shorter travel 29er or a new 150(160)/150 bike changing out the AM9?

I'd be rather surprised if it was something longer than the current. Given that they seemed to be quite serious when they did that "whats next" poll year'ish ago (which was won by 120+- 29er)

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 5:57 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Lfcrik wrote:

• Last post on the previous page: He's 6'5".
• His Buy / Sell page: XL

jtm, in addition to getting a longer bike, would more rise help? One of my ride partners is 6'4" and is a lot happier on a bar with huge rise, even with his XL Bird. Answer and ProTaper make a 3" rise bar.

Correct. I am 6'5" and on the XL Ripmo which has decent stack but only 495 reach and 655 TT. On that bike, I run 30mm spacers, 40mm Stack 60mm Stem, and a 50mm Spank Spike 800 Vibrocore Bar. Seat is still higher (about an inch) than my bars.

Next bike I plan to lump down the cash on the Hope AM 50mm Stem with 20 degree rise. Will buy me about 15 mm additional stack.

So, basically, I am looking for long, slack, and tall. Pretty common for us tall riders.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 6:01 Quote
Given my backyard trails that I ride 9/10 times are pretty much blue trails the Aether fits better. However, I wonder if proportionally a 150mm bike is better for us bigger guys and I just need to accept the small decrease in pedal efficiency...Although I lock out quite often for my standard 3.5 mile/1200' climb, so maybe it doesn't matter that much....

Still also thinking the easy route which is buying the Rakan 1.3 for $2500 (US).

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 15:40 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:
I'd be rather surprised if it was something longer than the current. Given that they seemed to be quite serious when they did that "whats next" poll year'ish ago (which was won by 120+- 29er)

Ideally, they would split their 29er products into two: a slightly burlier bike than the AM9 and a "downcountry" 29er. Maybe we'll see a tweak to the AM9, but it's still too fresh for an overhaul - and still a great bike. The 3R link and larger seatstay are more than enough to keep it fresh.

I would be surprised to see anything other than a 29er equivalent of the Aether.

jtm wrote:
Given my backyard trails that I ride 9/10 times are pretty much blue trails the Aether fits better. However, I wonder if proportionally a 150mm bike is better for us bigger guys and I just need to accept the small decrease in pedal efficiency...Although I lock out quite often for my standard 3.5 mile/1200' climb, so maybe it doesn't matter that much....

Still also thinking the easy route which is buying the Rakan 1.3 for $2500 (US).

The Fuji is a great deal, but it's only 8 mm larger than the Ripmo AF, once you account for stack. You're not changing your situation.

The AM9 has one of the highest levels of pedaling anti-squat on the market. It's very firm under power, though you're coming off an Ibis, so your expectations will be high. The Rakan is also quite firm. Whether though careful selection or luck, these are all great choices for your pedaling preferences, it's just a matter of getting the length you need.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006020
Mobile Version of Website