Bird Aeris owners thread

Author Message
Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 6:38 Quote
BB: Changes in fork length have about one-third the effect on BB height. 10 mm over spec. length will raise the static BB height roughly 3 mm. The fork will have the same length at bottom-out as an equivalent 140 mm version, so the dynamic BB height change is less than 3 mm.

Park: The 145 would be a better choice for occasional park use because you could purchase the 160 mm link and swap out for park days. (I happen to have a spare 145 mm link because my Aeris was stolen while in 160 mm configuration, so you could buy the bike with the 160 mm link and pick up my 145 mm link.)

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
Apologies if this has been covered previously, I've searched but not found an answer...
I'm thinking of getting an Aeris 145 but want to use my existing xt cranks which are non boost. Has anyone done this successfully?

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
riklegge wrote:
Apologies if this has been covered previously, I've searched but not found an answer...
I'm thinking of getting an Aeris 145 but want to use my existing xt cranks which are non boost. Has anyone done this successfully?

I used non-Boost on my 145 and am currently using it on my AM9. 28T chainring on both bikes. I forget how much clearance to the chainstay I had on the 145, but it's minuscule on the AM9. Drivetrain works better with non-Boost.

28T will work as-is. If you want a larger chaining, you could move around some BB spacers to gain a couple millimeters. Maybe the clearance is better on the 145 than the AM9, but I wouldn't count on being able to use a larger chainring than 30T.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 14:03 Quote
I'm just looking for a suspension set-up sanity check from your collective wisdom. Lock-down rules (and spirit of rules) in the UK mean I cant go out and actually ride it, so this is all slightly academic and just passing the time.

13st 10lb (87kg) in my pyjamas. AM9 XL with Lyric Ultimate and Deluxe Ultimate (i.e no piggy-back). Normal riding is Scottish trail centres. I have used the Seb Stott bikeradar guide.

Fork seems fine. 1 volume spacer, 115 psi, 4 clicks from slowest rebound, high and low compression fully open. Sag is a difficult experiment to repeat but I do consistently get 84% on the forceful bouncing progression test.

Shock is a slight puzzler. 200psi gives a good consistent 30% sag. Rebound 1 click from slowest. I'm only getting about 75% travel from the forceful bouncing progression test, but there are no spacers to remove. I know it's a progressive frame and I have the option to run more sag or go for the RRR linkage in the fullness of time. But for the moment, does it look like I'm in the right ball park?

Thanks all!

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 16:09 Quote
When you say "30% sag", I'm assuming that means 30% shock compression. If so, that's actually 35% wheel travel due to the non-linear nature of the motion ratio curve. Not a problem, just FYI.

Your settings sound reasonable. My one criticism of Seb's method pertains to fork rebound: we can't move our hands fast enough to replicate trail conditions, so I set fork rebound a fair bit faster than the point at which I can lift my hands faster than the fork can rebound.

Not sure I'd recommend the compression damping fully open on the fork. Low, but not wide open. You may get a more consistent feel between front and rear with a little less pressure, an extra reducer, and a bit of damping. Reducers are usually the last thing most riders need, though, so you may not want to fully balance the front and rear feel, so the sequence in which to try these things will be damping, pressure, reducers. Doesn't cost anything to experiment!

An air shock on the AM9 with the original link is a seriously progressive bike. For many riders, it may be reasonable to think of it as having 140 or 145 mm of travel and a wonderfully soft bottom-out bumper. As you noted, your options are either less pressure or the RRR link.



Note: One of the most striking differences between regular folks vs. top amateurs & pros is upper body strength. Unless you're benching far above your bodyweight, you probably don't need many reducers, if any.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 23:37 Quote
riklegge wrote:
Apologies if this has been covered previously, I've searched but not found an answer...
I'm thinking of getting an Aeris 145 but want to use my existing xt cranks which are non boost. Has anyone done this successfully?

I also use a non boost Saint crankset with a 32T ring on my Zero 29. And yes, it gives a better chain line running non boost but it will narrow down the range of usable chain rings.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 5:05 Quote
riklegge wrote:
Apologies if this has been covered previously, I've searched but not found an answer...
I'm thinking of getting an Aeris 145 but want to use my existing xt cranks which are non boost. Has anyone done this successfully?

I have a 145, couldn't use my non-boost XT with 34T chainring, had to get boost, used SLX with 34T.
I had incorrectly omitted one of the spacers on the drive side bottom bracket cup using non-boost, so it may have squeezed in by a micro-nothing but without the spacer it fully contacted the chainstay.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 5:15 Quote
I'm 82kg geared up, have 160 Lyrik Ultimate, different rear shock on 145LT (160).
At the moment my settings are
101 or 102 psi
No volume spacers
HSC 1 from closed
LSC 9 from closed
Rebound 10 from closed

Tried all combinations of more spacers (1 to 3) less and more pressure (115 down to mid 80s) less compression (all combinations down to none) and more rebound (up to 4 from closed), it felt squishy and less controlled, might call it bad chassis stability.

Now that I've got a good feeling on this might try 1 volume spacer and 2 from closed HSC and see what happens.

Let's say my riding is natural trails roots rocks as fast as I can.

crimsondynamo wrote:
I'm just looking for a suspension set-up sanity check from your collective wisdom. Lock-down rules (and spirit of rules) in the UK mean I cant go out and actually ride it, so this is all slightly academic and just passing the time.

13st 10lb (87kg) in my pyjamas. AM9 XL with Lyric Ultimate and Deluxe Ultimate (i.e no piggy-back). Normal riding is Scottish trail centres. I have used the Seb Stott bikeradar guide.

Fork seems fine. 1 volume spacer, 115 psi, 4 clicks from slowest rebound, high and low compression fully open. Sag is a difficult experiment to repeat but I do consistently get 84% on the forceful bouncing progression test.

Shock is a slight puzzler. 200psi gives a good consistent 30% sag. Rebound 1 click from slowest. I'm only getting about 75% travel from the forceful bouncing progression test, but there are no spacers to remove. I know it's a progressive frame and I have the option to run more sag or go for the RRR linkage in the fullness of time. But for the moment, does it look like I'm in the right ball park?

Thanks all!

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 2:52 Quote
the stock lyrik damper is total shit for anyone obave approx 85kg. it didn't feel any differnece between full closed and full open, high and lowspeed compression. i bought a Push hc97 damper and now have the support i need, and there is a noiticebale range of compression settings

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 6:58 Quote
on the AERIS 145, once it has the 160 link and 160mm fork,how much shorter is the reach on the large and xl and how much will the wheel base grow?

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
Connie2003 wrote:
on the AERIS 145, once it has the 160 link and 160mm fork,how much shorter is the reach on the large and xl and how much will the wheel base grow?

The geometry changes are minor. I don't have the exact numbers for the LT (160 mm), but messing about with my model for the 145 suggests the changes in reach and wheelbase will be less than 5 mm.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
Thanks for the advice.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 11:09 Quote
Hi! Hope everyone keeping safe out there!

I’m having to sell my Raw AM9 XL frame with brand new FOX Float X2 Factory (Frame has had 10 rides and been invisiframed)

Anyone interested let me know - doctor has stood me down from off road riding as I’m due a back operation so funding a boring stationary bike.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005829
Mobile Version of Website