Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 7:43 Quote
For those interested, someone at a German forum found out that the chainstay guard from Raaw actually fits the AM9 really well

https://raawmtb.com/collections/parts/products/chainstay-guard

Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 8:54 Quote
Arierep wrote:
For those interested, someone at a German forum found out that the chainstay guard from Raaw actually fits the AM9 really well

I use the one for the Scott Ransom! Tiny bit of trimming and it fits perfectly!

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2020 at 4:44 Quote
holt1997 wrote:
Arierep wrote:

I use the one for the Scott Ransom! Tiny bit of trimming and it fits perfectly!

i use a one from a Forbidden bikes Druid, shortened it a bit and used the offcut on the underside of the seat stay, and only cost £8
photo

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2020 at 20:44 Quote
I have about 4 decent rides in on the am9 with the rrr link with a super deluxe and can confirm it is pretty great. I was planning on getting a meg neg can, but it is so good I don’t know that I will. I don’t feel like I’ve given up anything, but on drops / big hits there is way more support mid / mid late travel. Highly recommended.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 0:34 Quote
I have my AM9 V3 frame ordered!

I found some messages way back in this thread about chainring clearance. I was hoping to put a 34T oval ring (i.e. needs 36T clearance) but sounds like that isn't going to fit by a long way.

Is anyone using a wider chainline like the 55mm one on the 7120/8120 cranks? If yes could you get a 34 or 36 ring on there?

I know the answer is likely to be try it and see but any experience welcome to save ordering the wrong stuff!

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 7:09 Quote
mrbanks wrote:
I have my AM9 V3 frame ordered!

I found some messages way back in this thread about chainring clearance. I was hoping to put a 34T oval ring (i.e. needs 36T clearance) but sounds like that isn't going to fit by a long way.

Is anyone using a wider chainline like the 55mm one on the 7120/8120 cranks? If yes could you get a 34 or 36 ring on there?

I know the answer is likely to be try it and see but any experience welcome to save ordering the wrong stuff!

Send bird an email, they will let you know. In my experience they have been fantastic in that regard.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 9:11 Quote
Thanks handsomedan,

Yeah Bird have been great with email support already for me.

I asked here first because I expect more folks here have tried alternative setups while I think Bird only have 32T build options.

O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2020 at 1:00 Quote
For anyone wondering, Ben confirmed the 32T max at normal 52mm boost chain line but couldn’t confirm whether I’d get away with 36 at 55mm.

I found the great picture imbecile posted on page 32 of this thread showing 1.5mm clearance for a 32t (30 oval) at 52mm chain line (from what I can tell!) and with some dodgy extrapolation from that looks like 34T would be fine another 3mm out but 36 would be basically touching the stay. (Based on just over 4mm extra radius per size change.)

I guess I’ll wait for the frame and measure up but I’ll get cranks with 55mm chain line and see what the biggest I can run is!

Posted: Apr 17, 2020 at 1:03 Quote
I had oval 32t on mine, which I'd guess somewhat hints that 34t round would fit. Based on that 32t oval I wouldnt have dared to put 34t oval on it.

Posted: Apr 17, 2020 at 2:05 Quote
49 mm chainline is already a cleaner chainline. Push it out 6 mm and it's going to run poorly in the first couple of sprockets and there's no chance you'll be able to rotate the chain backwards in the first sprocket - maybe the first several sprockets.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 4:53 Quote
colourofsound wrote:
Uh oh

Aether C9

Carbon...?

Guess a short travel (130/120) carboiiing 29er trail bike.

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 5:15 Quote
I hope theres an Alu version too. I don't have the cash for carbon! Or the environmental guilt quotient

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 6:59 Quote
Wasn't expecting this one, quite a surprise

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 10:07 Quote
Bird Aether 7 M L
I gots a bird.
I likes the bird.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.118334
Mobile Version of Website