Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: May 5, 2020 at 12:54 Quote
XL. It will feel different, but that's the size for your height.

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 5:45 Quote
P1fp4f wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm thinking to add a full-sus to complete my GT Zaskar, and I'm quite interested by Bird bikes framesets.

I'm 6'3" high, with a short 86cm inseam + 1.04 ape index , and I'm not 100% sure about the necessary size to target.

My GT Zaskar is a L-sized with 462 reach, 73° STA and a 70mm stem , anto be honest it's a quite comfortable bike to ride with. As reach are way much longer on Bird's, what will you suggest ?
I'm wondering if an XL won't be too long even with a very short stem...

Second question about the AM9 frameset: Are V3 framesets currently sold on the website or are they still V2?

Cheers!

Iam also 6.3" / 1.92 cm tall with 92 cm inseam , i just bought a Bird Aeris frame with 55% discount in Anodized black size XL, just recieved the frame, very nice! Really like the finish on it. I don't think this frame will be to big for me, waiting on few parts to come in and than iam building it up. i had 450 reach on my old frame and it was to small for me, this XL frame seems just a bit longer, have a feeling it will fit perfectly.

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 5:47 Quote
Can someone tell me what waterbottle i can put on my XL Aeris 145 frame? I see some people use adapters, would like the fidlock style bottle. Will 600 fit with Rockshox super deluxe ultimate piggyback?

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 16:21 Quote
Thinking about replacing the quick release axles with a maxle stealth or similar on my AM9 now that I have a tray style rack. Does anyone have the length and thread pitch of rear axle handy?

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 10:55 Quote
jazzythemost wrote:
Can someone tell me what waterbottle i can put on my XL Aeris 145 frame? I see some people use adapters, would like the fidlock style bottle. Will 600 fit with Rockshox super deluxe ultimate piggyback?

Nope, the smaller 450 wil.

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 3:46 Quote
tlassy wrote:
Thinking about replacing the quick release axles with a maxle stealth or similar on my AM9 now that I have a tray style rack. Does anyone have the length and thread pitch of rear axle handy?
Just replaced mine with a Burgtec axle, depends what fork you have? Mine was a boost rockshox fitting 110 by 15mm.
Not all fork brands use the same size thread I believe.

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 7:48 Quote
simondean56 wrote:
tlassy wrote:
Just replaced mine with a Burgtec axle, depends what fork you have? Mine was a boost rockshox fitting 110 by 15mm.
Not all fork brands use the same size thread I believe.

Thanks, Got the front sorted, it's the rear that's a bit harder. I think I have it figured out now, 180mm length, M12x1.75 for the thread pitch

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 9:56 Quote
Just checked - that’s the same as in my 120. 20mm thread length too (if that helps).

Rich

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 14:40 Quote
To the ones riding AM9 with coil, how did you find your correct spring rate?

Does the linkage (original version) work well with the TF-tuned calculator?
(https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator)

Also, is Bird's mount kit the same as TD-tuned's?
Just realized that their image and descriptions are identical.

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 15:19 Quote
I use a softer spring than recommended by the TF Tuned calculator because the AM9 v1 linkage is so progressive and my shock has additional bottom-out valving.

You could take the TF recommendation and go down maybe 10%, if you don't mind a lot of sag, or use the TF recommendation and only rarely get full travel.

Posted: May 10, 2020 at 1:36 Quote
nsandstrom wrote:
To the ones riding AM9 with coil, how did you find your correct spring rate?

Does the linkage (original version) work well with the TF-tuned calculator?
(https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator)

Also, is Bird's mount kit the same as TD-tuned's?
Just realized that their image and descriptions are identical.

Started with 400lbs which i had in my garage and went on from that by sag and feeling. As the AM9 is so progressive you should use over 30% sag and then add much damping as needed fir a controlled ride

Posted: May 10, 2020 at 2:01 Quote
bansaiman is correct. I normally recommend against any more preload than absolutely necessary, but the AM9 will work with a small amount, which gives some flexibility to tune the sag without ruining initial compliance and rebound top-out.

Posted: May 10, 2020 at 6:30 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
bansaiman is correct. I normally recommend against any more preload than absolutely necessary, but the AM9 will work with a small amount, which gives some flexibility to tune the sag without ruining initial compliance and rebound top-out.

I meant compression damping not preload. I only use as much as to stop the coil from ruttling:-D

Posted: May 10, 2020 at 8:38 Quote
Yes, I assumed that's what you meant. A good suggestion.

The preload suggestion was my own and I wanted to mention it because I'm normally so strongly against it, but the AM9 allows a little without serious detriment to the performance.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006655
Mobile Version of Website