Turbine dropper - can it be rebuilt with a 9point8 kit?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Turbine dropper - can it be rebuilt with a 9point8 kit?
| Next Page
Posted: May 2, 2019 at 15:13 Quote
shoots wrote:
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but my turbine is so dry inside that the threads are bound tight. I can't for the life of me get the top nut off. I'm going to use a pipe wrench which will marred it up pretty bad so I'm wondering if the 9point8 top not will work as a replacement? Or does race face make a rebuild kit yet?

Take a soft head mallet (not rubber, something that will not leave a mark hut still tap it good) and go around the top nut threads tapping. Fo it for a good solid 10 minutes. Let some WD-40 soak into the top nut threads. Repeat this process a few times. You will need a strap wrench and a vice for the next part. Put the post in the vice between two blocks of woods and tighten it down good. Use the strap wrench to loosen off the nut. It takes a while and it sucks. Repeat the tapping and WD-40ing I til its offSmile

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 21:07 Quote
Folks - just to update on my earlier post, per all the experience here, the 9.8 rebuild kit matches flawlessly with the RF Turbine post (I finally got around to doing it....). My post now operates quite smoothly at 24 psi. Recommend to anyone with a duff Turbine that won’t hold air....

Couple points noted previously by others but perhaps worth restating:

1. I used a 3.25 inch long bolt with 3 washers to act as spacers instead of the proprietary brake release tool - works fine.
2. Upon completion, re-tightening of the collar is probably best done using a clamp with rubber jaws, e.g. ParkTool bike repair stand. Initially i didn’t crank it enough and could still observe air bubbles at the join when submersing the post in water. A bit more grimacing and it is now airtight.

Cheers all!

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 7:34 Quote
Hi guys,

I have the same question - i've got a turbine dropper, which worked Ok for 2 eyars, and started leaking air. During disassembly i've discovered that brake actuator seized in the brake assembly. So to unscrew it we needed to disassmble the brake. RF is not selling anything for these posts. Is there any chance than 9point8 brake assembly will work, and what service kit should i buy? v1 or v2?

Regards,
Mike

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 7:49 Quote
You need the V1 to V2 conversion kit from 9point8.

I don't know for sure, but I'd say the 9point8 brake assembly is exactly the same as the RF one. Pretty much everything on these posts internally is identical from what I can tell.

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 19:45 Quote
Hi.

very curious at how important really is the brake release tool?

Reason I am asking is, I have opened my RF turbine post for service, and everything comes apart without much problem, but I do think it is essential to have an axle vise thou.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 6:36 Quote
evilsg wrote:
Hi.

very curious at how important really is the brake release tool?

Reason I am asking is, I have opened my RF turbine post for service, and everything comes apart without much problem, but I do think it is essential to have an axle vise thou.

You don't need to buy the brake release tool from 9point8, but you do need to use something to release the brake and disassemble the post. All the tool from them is is a piece of threaded rod, a nut and a washer. Can easily be made yourself for a fraction of the cost with parts from the hardware store. I decided to save myself the trouble and bought the tool from 9point8. I also bought the key install tool which makes things WAY easier when installing the keys. I have 2 9point8 posts and 2 Turbine posts so figured investing in the tools was a worthwhile investment.

Out of curiosity, what axle vise clamps did you use? I've just been using the tube wrapped around the shaft with pliers method that 9point8 shows in their video, but an axle clamp is for sure a better solution. And I did manage to put a scratch on the shaft on one of the Turbine rebuilds I did where the nut was installed super tight with red loctite.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008595
Mobile Version of Website