Xtr race brake levers vs zee brake levers

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Xtr race brake levers vs zee brake levers
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 21, 2017 at 16:00 Quote
my zee brake levers got busted and now i need to change it. my mate is going to sell me his xtr race brake levers m9000 for cheaps. cheaper than a brand new pair of zee brake levers because that's what friends for lol jk. anyway, do these xtr race brake levers have lesser stopping power than a pair of zee brake levers (im still gonna use the current zee calipers). what's better when it comes to modulation? any pros and cons? Thanks!

Posted: Dec 22, 2017 at 11:05 Quote
raident30 wrote:
my zee brake levers got busted and now i need to change it. my mate is going to sell me his xtr race brake levers m9000 for cheaps. cheaper than a brand new pair of zee brake levers because that's what friends for lol jk. anyway, do these xtr race brake levers have lesser stopping power than a pair of zee brake levers (im still gonna use the current zee calipers). what's better when it comes to modulation? any pros and cons? Thanks!

I've been reading some German forums where they are crazy about braking power and it seems that the XTR race has noticeably less power then all of the other Shimano brakes due to it's lack of servo-wave. You might be much better off with just some SLX levers. This is still an upgrade as the Zee levers are essentially a deore unit.

Posted: Dec 22, 2017 at 13:45 Quote
raident30 wrote:

Yes the XTR Race will have less power due to the lack of servo-wave

Only real issue I would see is the XTR Race would have some trouble pushing fluid to the caliper, the Zee/Saint hose inner diameter is bigger than those of SLX/XT/XTR, although I've never tested it. Some people reported having trouble bleeding etc using the saint/zee hose with the XTR, others didn't...

I'd do XTR Race levers and XTR Brake hose with the Zee caliper if I were you. Your brakes would have more of a linear feel instead of a ramp up like the Servo-wave. Some like it, some don't, although it's a pretty popular setup in the enduro world.

When I had my XT m8000 lever & hose paired to my Zee caliper, it felt awesome and I loved it.

Posted: Dec 22, 2017 at 15:53 Quote
sdken wrote:
raident30 wrote:

Yes the XTR Race will have less power due to the lack of servo-wave

Only real issue I would see is the XTR Race would have some trouble pushing fluid to the caliper, the Zee/Saint hose inner diameter is bigger than those of SLX/XT/XTR, although I've never tested it. Some people reported having trouble bleeding etc using the saint/zee hose with the XTR, others didn't...

I'd do XTR Race levers and XTR Brake hose with the Zee caliper if I were you. Your brakes would have more of a linear feel instead of a ramp up like the Servo-wave. Some like it, some don't, although it's a pretty popular setup in the enduro world.

When I had my XT m8000 lever & hose paired to my Zee caliper, it felt awesome and I loved it.

so if the zee levers is in the level of deore then going xtr levers would be an upgrade.

can you further explain a linear feels on brakes? is it about the modulation?

Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 6:28 Quote
raident30 wrote:
so if the zee levers is in the level of deore then going xtr levers would be an upgrade.

No. It's more complicated than that. First - Zee/Saint calipers are larger, and therefore need more fluid, and as such should have a larger master cylinder. The XTR master is small than the Zee/Saint master. That's one problem. Second, Zee/Saint levers are Servo Wave, XTR Race levers are not. This would completely change the feel of the brakes...if you are used to Servo Wave, there's a good chance you would hate this combination. But I highly recommend against doing it because of the master cylinder difference. You will experience a dramatic loss of power.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006477
Mobile Version of Website