Mountain bike just doesn't 'feel right'

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Mountain bike just doesn't 'feel right'
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 at 0:51 Quote
Hey everyone, this might sound a bit odd, or possibly even stupid to veteran riders, but i just want some input on this one. I have a 2017 Scott Genius LT 720 plus bike, i worked my ass off to afford this bike. It is an awesome bike but it just doesn't feel right!?

It feels very sluggish and heavy (i've yet to buy some tyres that have less rolling resistance, it has Maxxis minions at the moment, probably half the problem) and getting air it just feels like a brick! I've adjusted the suspension multiple times but still can't get it to feel right. I rode my mates 2017 Trek Remedy RSL and i felt right at home. It was fast, felt lightweight and handles well in the air. Is my bike just setup wrong or is it just the characteristics of the bike?

I'm asking for help here, not for any abuse or smart a** comments. Cheers guys, and happy holidays!

~Elias

Posted: Dec 23, 2017 at 2:26 Quote
Yea I would definitely try thinner tires. Try 2.6 or even 2.5 tires, if you can fit them on your rims (which are wide I believe, 40mm internal?).
Double check your suspensions settings as well.

The Genius should be a good bike for pedaling.

Posted: Dec 23, 2017 at 10:05 Quote
I think that's mostly down to it being a plus bike with heavy dh oriented rubber. Can it also run 29" regular tires/wheels? If so that should make it a bit more sporty feeling. First off try smaller,, lighter tires.

Another potential cause is the regressive rear suspension. It's designed to be really plush and mushy. Try making the shock as progressing as possible to add some support and pop. Run the lowest air volume you can and set sag on the low end of the recommended range.

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 at 13:02 Quote
From the spec this FS bike is heavy, 33.3 pound without pedals. Is is correct?

Anyway, my Ibis Mojo3 is a 650 plus FS Bike and it rides great with both the Maxxis Rekon+ tires and the Minion DHF+/DHR2+ tires. The Minion, however, feels a bit heavier, Rekon+ is 200 grams/tire lighter. Maybe change the rear to a Rekon+.

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 at 17:01 Quote
Could be the sizing too. My brother should ride medium frames but feels more confortable on a large. But that is personal preference

Posted: Dec 23, 2017 at 18:48 Quote
melias24 wrote:
Hey everyone, this might sound a bit odd, or possibly even stupid to veteran riders, but i just want some input on this one. I have a 2017 Scott Genius LT 720 plus bike, i worked my ass off to afford this bike. It is an awesome bike but it just doesn't feel right!?

It feels very sluggish and heavy (i've yet to buy some tyres that have less rolling resistance, it has Maxxis minions at the moment, probably half the problem) and getting air it just feels like a brick! I've adjusted the suspension multiple times but still can't get it to feel right. I rode my mates 2017 Trek Remedy RSL and i felt right at home. It was fast, felt lightweight and handles well in the air. Is my bike just setup wrong or is it just the characteristics of the bike?

I'm asking for help here, not for any abuse or smart a** comments. Cheers guys, and happy holidays!

~Elias

Your impressions match my impression of the one and only time I rode plus tires. Bike was light as hell but felt sluggish and mushy to me. I'm also a very lightweight rider, so I'm guessing that plus tires just don't offer the same benefit to everyone. I'm betting lighter, narrower rubber might help.

Posted: Dec 23, 2017 at 22:04 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
melias24 wrote:

~Elias

Your impressions match my impression of the one and only time I rode plus tires. Bike was light as hell but felt sluggish and mushy to me. I'm also a very lightweight rider, so I'm guessing that plus tires just don't offer the same benefit to everyone. I'm betting lighter, narrower rubber might help.

I demoed a 2017 Genius Plus, and I felt the same way. It's much more of a plow bike than playful, I wasn't a big fan of it. It's a weird combo I think to have that much suspension with plus tires. OP, if you could take it out to really chunky trails with lots of areas that don't have grip, you could probably smoke all your buddies in a race, but it isn't really a playful bike to throw around.

Posted: Dec 24, 2017 at 3:22 Quote
Bushamster21 wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:
melias24 wrote:

~Elias

I demoed a 2017 Genius Plus, and I felt the same way. It's much more of a plow bike than playful, I wasn't a big fan of it. It's a weird combo I think to have that much suspension with plus tires. OP, if you could take it out to really chunky trails with lots of areas that don't have grip, you could probably smoke all your buddies in a race, but it isn't really a playful bike to throw around.

Yes, that's the problem we dont really have chunky loose trails in my area. Most involve a lot of climbing, and limited downhill but pretty extreme when the downhill sections come along. I guess i'll try new tyres maybe, and if it still doesn't feel right i may have to part with it...

Posted: Dec 24, 2017 at 5:22 Quote
Don't forget to take volume out of the rear suspension also. That should help along with the lighter tires

FL
Posted: Dec 24, 2017 at 9:21 Quote
Doesn't the bike have adjustable Geo. Might try the other geometry.

Posted: Dec 24, 2017 at 11:24 Quote
melias24 wrote:
Bushamster21 wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:

Yes, that's the problem we dont really have chunky loose trails in my area. Most involve a lot of climbing, and limited downhill but pretty extreme when the downhill sections come along. I guess i'll try new tyres maybe, and if it still doesn't feel right i may have to part with it...

I would sell it, and move on. You win some, you lose some. I have done this before. It’s not fun to lose money, but it’s worth it so you can be on the right bike for your style.

Posted: Dec 24, 2017 at 11:27 Quote
I have a 29er Santa cruz hightower, which I love... Bought a Specialized fuse plus bike for the winter a few months back and find it a drag, only feels fun on descents just sluggish every where else. I can see mates pulling away on flats and climbs on normal width tyres... Even swopped part way through rides and my mates trek 29er just felt like a rocket after the plus tyres. I will swop to 29er wheels in the new year.

Posted: Dec 25, 2017 at 16:29 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
melias24 wrote:
Bushamster21 wrote:

I would sell it, and move on. You win some, you lose some. I have done this before. It’s not fun to lose money, but it’s worth it so you can be on the right bike for your style.

Yes i think your right, this bike has really put me off riding, and i will loose some money but it'll be worth it to get a bike that'll make me love the sport again

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 at 1:02 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
Doesn't the bike have adjustable Geo. Might try the other geometry.

Yes it does, i've yet to touch it. Cheers for the idea.

Posted: Nov 18, 2023 at 9:58 Quote
I would spend the money on ditching the plus wheelset and going to 29. Been managing bike shops for 20+ years and plus bikes suck ass. Adjust the suspension and play with the geometry. Trying to sell a bike right now is horrid as the market is so cluttered.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010689
Mobile Version of Website