What is to Light?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What is to Light?
Posted: Mar 2, 2008 at 21:34 Quote
c0tt0nm0uth wrote:
Im starting to count some grams on a few products I just order so can anyone tell me the weight of a e13 supercharger 36t. I cant find it anywhere. thanks

204 grams for the 36t.

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=796

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 at 12:25 Quote
if your lookin at the ultimate light bike look at the sunn radical. they come stock at 37 - 38 pounds, you could easily dropthat to 35-6

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 at 12:27 Quote
And they flex like a wet noodle.

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 at 12:35 Quote
youll get that with anything that light

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 at 13:21 Quote
No not really. I can post several bikes in the 35-37 pound (sorry not at home but give me an hour) range that aren't nealy as bad as the Funn bikes. Don't get me wrong it's a cool looking bike, but has more in common with an ECD frame than it may want.

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 at 13:23 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
c0tt0nm0uth wrote:
Im starting to count some grams on a few products I just order so can anyone tell me the weight of a e13 supercharger 36t. I cant find it anywhere. thanks

204 grams for the 36t.

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=796

Gamut guides are just over half that.

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 at 13:28 Quote
let me clarify what i mean. the sunn is a very light frame, and stock out of the factory it is not specced with super light gear and still claims to be 17 kilos, a touch over 37 pounds. for the parts that are on the bike it is a very light bike. this apparent weight saving has to come from somewhere and the result of it is a light yet flexible frame.

this bit is just speculation but im guessing that the bikes your goin to show me are built with much lighter parts than the sunn in order to be that light

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 at 13:59 Quote
schwimble wrote:
let me clarify what i mean. the sunn is a very light frame, and stock out of the factory it is not specced with super light gear and still claims to be 17 kilos, a touch over 37 pounds. for the parts that are on the bike it is a very light bike. this apparent weight saving has to come from somewhere and the result of it is a light yet flexible frame.

this bit is just speculation but im guessing that the bikes your goin to show me are built with much lighter parts than the sunn in order to be that light

Well it depends, you right to the most part the bikes I had in mind are very light parts on a somewhat heavy frame (around 10 pounds). Though, I must ask what constitutes a light frame. This year several frames have been released that are under nine pounds with 8+ inches of travel and do no suffer the same flex as the Sunn. It's more its design and pivot placement that lead to it's downfall.

I want to say the Sunn is finally an answer to what is too light, but again, I think it's the design of its linkage that kills it not its weight.

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 at 14:54 Quote
haha what does constitute a light frame, good question. it seems the goalposts are constantly changing. i would consider a 10 pound frame pretty light, not super light, but light enough for me.

i havent actually ridden a sunn so i cannot say how flexible it is, but i have heard that it is quite flexible, fom the owner of one.

What 08 frames are coming in at that weight though?

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 at 14:57 Quote
Off the top of my head the 2008 Wilson 4 is 8.8 pounds, the Socom is 8.5 with air shock, or 8.8 with coil (I know I'm missing two I'll remember them just having a brain fart).

Session 8 which is coming out this summer will be right along the 9 pound mark as well as the GT DHi.

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 at 15:34 Quote
my new astrix huckster is 8.7 pounds with a ccdb ti spring, stripped paint and some custom tuning on the frame.

super stiff,strong and amazing geo

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 at 16:34 Quote
the Commencal VIP Supreme DH is 9.2 with a roco and steel coil. get an air shock or a Ti spring an it will be in the 8's.

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 at 17:05 Quote
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
the Commencal VIP Supreme DH is 9.2 with a roco and steel coil. get an air shock or a Ti spring an it will be in the 8's.

The real weight is 5,300kg with the complete shock, the seat clamp and the rear axle. It is the weight from a Supreme DH 2008.

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 at 17:07 Quote
spag wrote:
PedalUpBombDown wrote:

The real weight is 5,300kg with the complete shock, the seat clamp and the rear axle. It is the weight from a Supreme DH 2008.
do you mean 5,300 grams? 5,300 kg would not be able to move under human power.

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 at 17:09 Quote
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
spag wrote:
PedalUpBombDown wrote:

do you mean 5,300 grams? 5,300 kg would not be able to move under human power.

thats the email i received from commencal, i guess they mean g

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011844
Mobile Version of Website