close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

HELP! Need to decide between 2 hardtails

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
HELP! Need to decide between 2 hardtails
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 25, 2017 at 9:25 Quote
I'm not a seasoned rider and don't really have a super extensive knowledge on mountain bikes. I love hardtails and 27.5 bikes. Haven't tried 27.5+ but I'm very open to the idea since it adds a little bit more cushion. I live in Charlotte NC and do a little bit of all riding but really prefer downhill and trail riding. I travel a lot though and plan on taking this next bike through a beating.

I currently have a Diamondback Hook but the components are all crap. Not worth putting hundreds of dollars into a bike I paid $400 for.. sooooo I'm looking to upgrade to an intermediate bike (not sure if that's a thing).

I'm not too familiar with the performance of different components (SRAM vs Shimano, Rockshox vs Fox, etc) and need help deciding between the following bikes:

2017 Diamondback Sync'r Pro
https://www.diamondback.com/sync-r-pro-23192#

2017 Santa Cruz Chameleon
https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon

I've seen the video made by Seth's bike hacks about the Sync'r and that helped a little, but I was wondering if anyone owned one of these bikes. If so, what are the pros/cons?

Price range is $2,000 or less. Preferably less since ya boy is a broke college kid...

Thanks!

Posted: Dec 25, 2017 at 13:28 Quote
Ride them both first. Components are pretty darn cheap in the end and fit and geometry are much more important. That said, if you're gonna buy a bike based on anything make it frame first, fork secondary and wheelset third. Everything else on the bike is completely replaceable and not too expensive for good quality performance parts. I think a full geagle setup is 450 now.

You could probably get a lot more for your money used. Just save a couple hundred bucks to rebuild forks\shocks and replace worn drivetrain parts.

At a glance the diamondback has the better kit and fork.

Posted: Dec 25, 2017 at 15:40 Quote
If I were getting a hardtail, I would prefer 27.5+. Out of those 2 bikes, my preference would be the Santa Cruz, but like Gotohe said, test ride them and see what suits you.

Posted: Dec 25, 2017 at 18:12 Quote
I've been intrigued by plus sized hardtails. I think it's a great combo. I built my son one using an '18 Honzo frame and my plus sized wheelset from my Hightower since going 29. Things a freaking beast!

A question you may want to consider is really thinking if this is going to be your only bike, and for how long you plan on keeping it before purchasing a new one. If it's going to be your all purpose all of the time bike that you're gonna ride hard, you may want to consider a steel frame.

I would definitely go that route if that was the case. Hell, you could buy a frame and find all of the rest of the parts in the buy/sell forum here, spend your 2k budget and build yourself a rig that would cost you $2500+ if not more.

Posted: Dec 25, 2017 at 18:42 Quote
From the two, I'd go with the Santa Cruz Chameleon. The Trek Roscoe 9 is also worth checking out, it comes stock with a dropper post, has the same suspension, and is cheaper than the Chameleon.

Posted: Dec 25, 2017 at 19:23 Quote
or go used... 2000 dollars for a hardtail with 27.5 can get you a whole lot used

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 19:41 Quote
Are you sure that you’re sure you don’t want to try a full sus’r for that price? Check out the Marin Hawk Hill (MSRP starting at $1500) with decent comps and designed for trail... You could save the $500 and buy like three years worth of Ramen Wink Cook

If you are settled on those two, I personally like the Diamondback.

If still considering a 650B+ Diamondback also makes the All-Mountain Mason which was $1500 last time I checked. I currently have a 650B+ on the Raleigh Tokul 3 (which is owned by the same company as Diamondback: Accell Group) and I really enjoy it! (Especially in the snow). I do have to say that I really do notice the rolling resistance in soft dirt or grass. There is actually the feel of braking since the tires grip so well.

Good luck on the new bike, please let us know what you decide and what helped make your decision!

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 14:31 Quote
[Quote="sugarl14"]
2017 Diamondback Sync'r Pro
https://www.diamondback.com/sync-r-pro-23192#
2017 Santa Cruz Chameleon
https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon
Price range is $2,000 or less. Preferably less since ya boy is a broke college kid...

Dude hunt for a used one. But also I would look at kona. They make a good one. But if you bought one already- what did you buy?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005792
Mobile Version of Website