Building on really steep terrain

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Building on really steep terrain
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 26, 2017 at 3:15 Quote
I'm trying to build a trail on a really steep hillside but I'm struggling to get the support any catch berms need, tried using logs with stakes to support them but even that isn't doing the job, any other suggestions?

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 at 4:22 Quote
try to build long straight traverses with bench cuts. Do you want a trail for just you and som mates to piss about on or do you want to build something for sustainable public use?

just for you and your mates a few dug in berms supported by logs and rocks will do, for a sustainable trail there will be alot of work that will be very complicated and depensing on te kind of soil and other material you have available

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 at 6:20 Quote
It's a secret trail so won't be getting much use at all, I think I may need longer stakes

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 at 10:49 Quote
what length stakes have you been using and what kind of soil are you building on.

when ever possible be lazy and use existing trees as stakes

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 at 11:50 Quote
Maybe 500mm at a guess, yeah where that's possible I do that and no trouble, maybe a slight redesign of the trail may be in order ????

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 at 13:20 Quote
yes that might be the point to get "back to the brawingboard"

i have built corners in such terrain but the were ALOT of work and it was on a legal trail where we were bound to regulations to where to build. it took 5 guys a day for just one corner. Not worth it when there is the chance taht it gets torn down again.

avoid going down the fall line, you gain speed and as a result you either need a massive catchberm(your problem) or you have alot of hard braking which will ruin a trail even if very few people ride on it.

i would rather go for long traverses with nice switchback corners. maybe even add a small negative pitch before corners to slow the rider down without him braking added benefit is less waste of altitude meters Wink

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 at 22:24 Quote
Yeah I think that's what I may do, thanks for the advice mate

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 at 8:23 Quote
I just recently made a chute, like the steepest part I've ever got to ride, about 30 feet long, and it was crazy off camber to not run into a ton of brush and cactus, so I just dug down the trail and used all the dirt to make a catch berm all the way down.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 11:09 Quote
Second use the trees as posts s nice big log off the tree to support your berm log should work well even if you jack up the log to reduce the angle so will push more directly onto the berm it's either that or loads of digging into hill side and trying to pack down the outside of berm.
Steep is more suited to slow and teccy . Faster traversing can be good if you kick the trail up hill to slow the speed and gives a better arc for the turn.

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 17:33 Quote
Don't forget to change the pitch up and down a bit On The traverses. This will provide multiple drainage points so ALL the water doesn't keep running down the trail. I like to have the entrance and exit or near the exit of a turn on a Switchback be lower than the traverses to allow draining before and after the turn to protect all the hard work in that corner. IMBA has a nice guide you can use for general rules of thumb.

Posted: Aug 11, 2018 at 11:47 Quote
Use existing trees as anchors, or dig deep holes and cut lengths to use as stakes to anchor your corners in, if you have lots of rock use that to armor. never build directly down the fall line unless you dig water bars to keep water off. If your benching, bench your trail so that its slightly off camber down hill so that water will sheet off the trail, wherever needed such as in a corner cut ditches on the inside parallel to the trail with a drain on one side of the dirt, you can cut a water bar across and use flat rocks to bridge your trail. If you want your trail to last minimize the grade, reverse the grade and use the terrain to maximize sustainability.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 0:36 Quote
u could try digging in the catch berm and then building it up

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
If there are trees then you can find two that are about 2 or 3 meters apart. Then lay some logs leaning on the trees. You can take dirt from the inside edge of the berm to fill in the space.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 9:04 Quote
Make a berm with a canal before it starts ie right berm before it starts to the left make canal with a left camber before the berm starts. Make vegetation after to strengthen the soil. When you are concerned about the dirt plants some plants there. It will make the soil way stronger because of the roots. That’s my advice.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027472
Mobile Version of Website