Upgrading Brakes For Trail/Enduro

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Upgrading Brakes For Trail/Enduro
Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 12:15 Quote
skibbe wrote:
Guides have good modulation but are a nightmare to deal with.

Perhaps that why he hates them lol Cheers for the help anyways!

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 12:19 Quote
cbro7092 wrote:
skibbe wrote:
Guides have good modulation but are a nightmare to deal with.

Perhaps that why he hates them lol Cheers for the help anyways!

yeah i empathize with him haha. I spent 3 hours yesterday replacing levers.....

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 12:51 Quote
skibbe wrote:
any sram guide brake made before june 2017 needs to warrantied due to the pistons swelling in high temperatures and the levers seizing. I just warrantied 40 LEVERS from all my shops demo bikes. buy Shimano and be set. Guides have good modulation but are a nightmare to deal with.

Do you think they would warranty mine even if I got them on a second-hand bought bike?

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 13:14 Quote
I cannot suggest tech 3 E4 by hope strongly enough. They have gone on my past three bikes. I've never found a shimano or sram brake that comes anywhere close. The only other brakes I've ever been completely happy with were formula R1.

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 13:51 Quote
My opinion:

I have ride Elixir 1/3/5 and DB 5, little power and measurable, blooding is kinf of hard...

Shimano Deore (in my hardtail) and XTR, Good power and measurable, but, it's juste for long or powerful braking (enduro/downhill).

Magura MT5 (actually in my enduro) : It's juste the most powerful brakes that i tested ! Great measurable, great power, tested in 1500 km actualy in enduro with 5 day in downhill station.

The only downside, i have changed 3 brake pads in front and 2 in rear... but the power is very great !

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 18:42 Quote
mfranzen wrote:
I cannot suggest tech 3 E4 by hope strongly enough. They have gone on my past three bikes. I've never found a shimano or sram brake that comes anywhere close. The only other brakes I've ever been completely happy with were formula R1.

This!

FL
Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 18:49 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
cool3, Sorry you are a delusional fun boy :p
Mind to elaborate?

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 1:50 Quote
cool3 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
Mind to elaborate?

I think he was joking with you. He was berated for his views, views which you agree with. I don't think he meant offense.

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 9:51 Quote
mfranzen wrote:
cool3 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
Mind to elaborate?

I think he was joking with you. He was berated for his views, views which you agree with. I don't think he meant offense.

This^^^

Thanks man!

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 10:31 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
mfranzen wrote:
cool3 wrote:

Mind to elaborate?

This^^^

Thanks man!

With that being said you are objectively incorrect and hope tech3/E4 are better (and cheaper, my hopes were 190). This is fact, not opinion. It's the internet and I say so.

Posted: Jan 18, 2018 at 11:03 Quote
mollow wrote:
skibbe wrote:
any sram guide brake made before june 2017 needs to warrantied due to the pistons swelling in high temperatures and the levers seizing. I just warrantied 40 LEVERS from all my shops demo bikes. buy Shimano and be set. Guides have good modulation but are a nightmare to deal with.

Do you think they would warranty mine even if I got them on a second-hand bought bike?

Any good bikeshop should be able to take care of you. I only send in the serial numbers of the brakes, they dont ask for a proof of purchase. If your shop is stingy they may make you give them a receipt...

Posted: Jan 18, 2018 at 12:55 Quote
Had Hope V4s, Avid Code, Elixer, Guides, Shimano M7000s and Shimano M615's. The 615's are my fav! Had them on my DH rig, HT and Enduro rig. Too many people hash the set up of their brakes: Loosen caliper bolts, spin wheel, pull brake, tighten bolts. This sucks and results in a mushy bite, squeals and less power. Get some M615's or M6000's, balance the pistons and bed in properly. Awesome brakes. I'm 195lbs in gear and they work brilliantly. If ya planning on hitting really steep +5 min decents, then maybe not, but all the British riding I do they have been flawless. Check out Dirts review.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016353
Mobile Version of Website