Spider 275C Rear Shock Travel Increase

PB Forum :: Intense
Spider 275C Rear Shock Travel Increase
Previous Page |
Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 11:48 Quote
Hey guys,

I have a 2017 Spider 275C (Foundation build) and looking to upgrade the Monarch R it comes with to something with a little more tune-ability, and that would increase the rear travel to 140mm. I read another post mentioning getting a 57mm shock to get it to 140mm but looking for actual recommendations.

Thanks!

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 11:12 Quote
Pretty sure you'd need a recluse link as well as a 57mm shock to get more travel. I'm really happy with the fox DPS that was oem on my pro build.

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 at 6:55 Quote
mattborja wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a 2017 Spider 275C (Foundation build) and looking to upgrade the Monarch R it comes with to something with a little more tune-ability, and that would increase the rear travel to 140mm. I read another post mentioning getting a 57mm shock to get it to 140mm but looking for actual recommendations.

Thanks!

Any 57mm will boost your travel to around 140 with stock spider linkage but the recluse upper link will give you the clearance from shock air can touching your frame. So you will need recluse link if you want to use fox x2 or dhx2 for the shock not to make contact. You can use fox dpx2 57mm with stock link and have plenty of clearance, and as bike pilot says it’s a great shock. This is a great upgrade for these bikes with really no penalty at all.

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 at 19:20 Quote
That's great info! I think stock linkage and 57mm of stroke would be around 148mmof travel (it would be if it's linear, but maybe the curve ramps up a lot at the end?

Posted: Jan 9, 2018 at 22:02 Quote
ViceGrips wrote:
mattborja wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Any 57mm will boost your travel to around 140 with stock spider linkage but the recluse upper link will give you the clearance from shock air can touching your frame. So you will need recluse link if you want to use fox x2 or dhx2 for the shock not to make contact. You can use fox dpx2 57mm with stock link and have plenty of clearance, and as bike pilot says it’s a great shock. This is a great upgrade for these bikes with really no penalty at all.

Great info! Thanks!

Posted: Mar 11, 2018 at 21:53 Quote
My first post on here. Put together my spider with a 57mm dhx2 coil and boy was I amazed on how it performed the stock Evol dps wasn’t working out I’m 6 foot and weigh 225lbs I had to run over 250psi and rebound only had about 1-2 clicks left to slow it down and at this high psi with no volume spacers it felt like it was bottoming out and I would stop take a look and still had over 10mm of travel. I know it’s a 50 stroke not a 57 so it almost felt like the air can was getting trapped and locking up. The coil I’m using is the sls 650lb and today 5 foot drops good size jumps I was left with about 3mm before the bumper hit!! So for heavier taller riders I highly recommend the coil don’t waste your time with air on this bike night and day difference!

Posted: Mar 16, 2018 at 11:33 Quote
Nice! Did you swap to a recluse link or keep the spider link?

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 11:16 Quote
ViceGrips wrote:
mattborja wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Do you know what tune you need for the DPX or DPX2?

Posted: Sep 3, 2018 at 15:07 Quote
Has anyone tried a link from a tracer?

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 10:00 Quote
I ended up putting a cane creek double barrel in line 7.875 x 2.25 . With stock link, rides incredible. I was wondering if changing to a recluse link Will make any difference or is just a waste of money?

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 23:34 Quote
Curious myself...I am long shocking the fox x2 200x57 in the 115mm position for frame clearance, which brings it back to around 130mm. Anyone been on the spider & recluse links back to back to tell if it’s worth it?

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 at 16:34 Quote
the link is only $90 from Intense and includes bearings and crush tube. I realize it’s just as easy to spend someone else’s money as it is to talk poop on the internet, but that amount seems like just one more drop in the bucket you already filled up. If you already dropped several grand for 130mm then what it takes to get another easy 10mm seems like a real bargain.

https://parts.intensecycles.com/collections/link-kits/products/recluse-top-link

My understanding is that the Recluse link has a single shock attachment position located between the two on the Spider link. So you do lose that adjustment option. If you’re running the longer shock on the Spider link, are happy, and it’s not hitting anywhere then yeah, why buy it. Sounds like a shock with remote canister needs it for frame clearance. The posts above state that an inline shock has enough clearance without needing the link. It’s likely that the leverage ratio will change with it. The Recluse 140mm is a bit more progressive ratio than the Spider 130mm. So for bigger hits it would likely be a benefit. Pretty sure it’s what Intense is doing on the Enduro option Spider to get 140mm in the rear paired with a 160mm fork.

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 at 17:17 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
the link is only $90 from Intense and includes bearings and crush tube. I realize it’s just as easy to spend someone else’s money as it is to talk poop on the internet, but that amount seems like just one more drop in the bucket you already filled up. If you already dropped several grand for 130mm then what it takes to get another easy 10mm seems like a real bargain.

https://parts.intensecycles.com/collections/link-kits/products/recluse-top-link

My understanding is that the Recluse link has a single shock attachment position located between the two on the Spider link. So you do lose that adjustment option. If you’re running the longer shock on the Spider link, are happy, and it’s not hitting anywhere then yeah, why buy it. Sounds like a shock with remote canister needs it for frame clearance. Inline probably not. It’s likely that the leverage ratio will change with it. The Recluse 140mm is a bit more progressive ratio than the Spider 130mm. So for bigger hits it would likely be a benefit. Pretty sure it’s what Intense is doing on the Enduro option Spider to get 140mm in the rear paired with a 160mm fork.

Do those links fit on a 2015 spider? One with the VPP suspension.

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 at 17:39 Quote
Can’t say myself, but someone over on MTBR said not to do it on the aluminum frame

Posted: Oct 16, 2018 at 5:16 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
Can’t say myself, but someone over on MTBR said not to do it on the aluminum frame

Right on, that’s what I thought but just checking. I plan on getting a cane creek dbcoil in-line and run it 200x57 if it will fit. I am trying to get better small bump compliance and heard with the suspension design coil works best to achieve that.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018876
Mobile Version of Website