Spider 275C Rear Shock Travel Increase

PB Forum :: Intense
Spider 275C Rear Shock Travel Increase
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 10:37 Quote
Edit: well upon pulling my head out of my butt and measuring properly, a 200x57 shock at full compression would only be 143mm long, which is approx. 5.63”. However when the top link contacts the underside of the top tube the disance between the long travel position shock mounting holes is roughly 5.75”. So in theory the top link will bottom out against the top tube before the shock does. This ignores a bumpstop being in there and preventing some travel at the end, but it seems to me that the Recluse link is needed to avoid that possibility.

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 21:59 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
Edit: well upon pulling my head out of my butt and measuring properly, a 200x57 shock at full compression would only be 143mm long, which is approx. 5.63”. However when the top link contacts the underside of the top tube the disance between the long travel position shock mounting holes is roughly 5.75”. So in theory the top link will bottom out against the top tube before the shock does. This ignores a bumpstop being in there and preventing some travel at the end, but it seems to me that the Recluse link is needed to avoid that possibility.

Based on the numbers, would the reverse not be the case with shock bottom out occurring ~3mm before the link made contact?

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 20:55 Quote
If anyone is still interested / cares:

You CANNOT use a 57mm stroke shock with the stock carbon linkage of the SL version when run in the 130mm position as the upper lingage makes contact with the underside of the top tube before bottom out (at about 55mm stroke). You CAN. run a 57mm stroke shock in the 115mm position.

I am running a Dpx2 57mm in the 130mm position BUT using nylon washers have reduced the stroke to 52mm and its AMAZING. I had a tuned DPS factory and this blows it away.

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 6:19 Quote
gravityfreak wrote:
If anyone is still interested / cares:

You CANNOT use a 57mm stroke shock with the stock carbon linkage of the SL version when run in the 130mm position as the upper lingage makes contact with the underside of the top tube before bottom out (at about 55mm stroke). You CAN. run a 57mm stroke shock in the 115mm position.

I am running a Dpx2 57mm in the 130mm position BUT using nylon washers have reduced the stroke to 52mm and its AMAZING. I had a tuned DPS factory and this blows it away.

I recently set up my Spider 275C SL with a 57mm Topaz. Overpumped the shock and haven't put it through its paces yet but I will take all the air out tonight and test in both positions to confirm if there are any frame strike issues.

edit: I can confirm as gravityfreak has said, there is frame contact in the 130mm position but not in the 115mm position.

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 7:07 Quote
Here is a photo of my bike with the Topaz installed. I also picked up a DVO dropper post and Sapphire fork. Hard to see from the photos but the front end is 29". The bike will be getting Di2 treatment and a few other trick parts very soon Smile

The purpose of this bike is to stay comfortable riding long days in the mountains, not to have the lightest or best climbing/descending bike. I am building another bike for doing laps in the bike park.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016520
Mobile Version of Website