Help/advice for an upgrading idea for my trail bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Help/advice for an upgrading idea for my trail bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 0:58 Quote
Hello. I will be upgrading my DB Recoil 29er. Shock is a Monarch RL but the fork is an XCT 100 100mm. I will soon buy a Recon Silver [100mm too] My rationale is not to look for more travel, instead better quality of the fork. No tapered or 15 mm thru axle stuff. I dont think that is possible feasible and/or desirable. Besides,I dont want to mess with the bike's geometry.
And here comes my question; would an upgrade ''only for the front rim'' be a good idea?[a 2 rim upgrade is beyond my budget] I'm moving progresively to steeper, rougher trails with more downhill. Thinking that a stronger and lighter front rim might help the fork cope with the rougher trails [my bike doesnt have the tapering , nor the thru axle stuff of stronger bikes]. Can this kind of upgrade make my bike unbalaced [I mean too light on front wheel in relation to the back]?
Any advice?

FL
Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 3:40 Quote
If you are only going to upgrade one wheel do the rear. This is where you will actually see some benefit from quicker freehub engagement, smoother and more durable bearings, more or less spokes, etc. I would suggest buying better brakes instead of one wheel and then upgrading your wheelset at a later date.

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 8:44 Quote
The rear wheel is more important and usually the one people break.

IMO, upgrading lots of components always ends up costing more and being more trouble. You'll usually come out better if you wait for a used bike to show up that is speced to your liking or save up for a new one with the spec you like.

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 15:40 Quote
In fact, recently I've been offered hydraulic brakes at a very nice price. Thanks for the advice. For now I think I will upgrade just fork and brakes. After all, there's nothing wrong with my bike,s rims. So far fork and brakes seem reasonable and cost effecive. Wheels are another story.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010099
Mobile Version of Website