Brake rotor - Paint or replace? Bling my bike!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Brake rotor - Paint or replace? Bling my bike!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 3:54 Quote
Hi all.

I'm running a 2016 specialized stumpjumper carbon expert.

Since this photo, I've installed some bright orange blackspire 808 handle bars (from my old bike) but the bike still needs some bling-ing / brightening up for my liking.

Here's my old SX trail, which I really liked the look of.

2009 Specialized SX Trail ii

I think the best area to focus on is the brakes / wheels area. The wheels have been upgraded and the brakes are xt calipers with slx levers. Ideally I'd throw some hope m4/ e4/ v4's on there, but £350 seems a bit steep!

I'm considering spray painting the xt ice tech rotors for now. But for the cost, I'm considering replacing them with some new rotors.

I've been running alligator windcutter rotors on my hartail with hope m4 evo brakes and they seem fine. Work out about £40 for a pair of rotors and they look the nuts. But would they affect the brakes compared to losing the shimano ice tech rotors? My riding is 'mountain biking' (all-mountain) 10-25mile treks generally.

Any thoughts on the rotor situation appreciated.

Paint?
Replace?

Also, any way to brighten up the rims at all?

Anything else to brighten/ bling the bike up a bit without spending loads?

Thanks,

Si

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 8:53 Quote
I painted the spokes on my old Avid rotors on my last bike.

Use tape to make sure you don't ruin the braking surface, and use an oven to bake the paint. Worked pretty well for a while.

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 9:32 Quote
Will1848 wrote:

Use tape to make sure you don't ruin the braking surface, and use an oven to bake the paint. Worked pretty well for a while.

Thanks for the reply. What paint did you use? Any photos please?

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 13:47 Quote
Si2j wrote:
Will1848 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. What paint did you use? Any photos please?

Probably just whatever Rustoleum stuff I had laying around. Sorry no pictures, those rotors were thrown out a few years back.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 1:44 Quote
Cheers.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 16:23 Quote
If it was me I'd paint to suit, but I'm cheap LoL I also happen to think the ice tech rotors are good.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021493
Mobile Version of Website