Santa Cruz Hightower LT

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Hightower LT
Posted: May 3, 2019 at 21:22 Quote
Possibly...if you have damage and you are the original owner. That being said, they might just replace the swingarm/shock mount.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 1:49 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
I wonder if I can get mine warranteed - absolutely no way mine will fit a Hope rotor. I wonder if mine fit in to that group of misfits.

Well I sent in pictures of the wear at the frame.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 9:25 Quote
I am not a fan of the post mount on the frame, but it is what it is. Is there documentation, confirmation there were some that were "wrong", or is this just speculation?

This sounds like a Hope compatibility issue than bike issue.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 11:55 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I am not a fan of the post mount on the frame, but it is what it is. Is there documentation, confirmation there were some that were "wrong", or is this just speculation?

This sounds like a Hope compatibility issue than bike issue.

I did not use Hope brakes or rotors. It was a Trickstuff UL Rotor. I don't like PM on the frame either. If you tighten a bolt too much on an IS-PM adapter, you screw up €15 at most. If you tighten it too much on the MT or HTLT you screw up a lot more. (I do have a couple of torque wrenches though).

Regarding the bad batch. It's just what my dealer told me. There were some faulty Nomads too if I'm not mistaken.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 12:04 Quote
Gotcha.

Same reason I don't like it. Coming from an 18 Tallboy, this was one of the first things I noticed.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
I was lucky to get a 2019 frame that has a new owner already. I got 200€ les than I paid in 2018 and now am patiently waiting for my Megatower frame to arrive.

gmoss wrote:
Gotcha.

Same reason I don't like it. Coming from an 18 Tallboy, this was one of the first things I noticed.

Posted: May 5, 2019 at 14:57 Quote
New to me, 2018 Hightower LT. Great build and spec for the interior mountains of British Columbia!

Posted: May 5, 2019 at 15:04 Quote
Nice! If that is an XT 46 cassette, dump it for the Sunrace. So much better shifting it is shameful. Much better transition to the 46 too with a 36 40 46 step instead of 37 to 46.

I would like to hear from anyone that has gone from the dps to the dpx2 or x2. My goal is better support on climbing. Coming from the TB, I would like to eliminate a little of the squishiness on the climb. I figure the high and low compression circuit on the x2 may be the ticket.? Or, there may be enough difference in the dpx2 and dps that I can go that route.

Posted: May 5, 2019 at 16:27 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Nice! If that is an XT 46 cassette, dump it for the Sunrace. So much better shifting it is shameful. Much better transition to the 46 too with a 36 40 46 step instead of 37 to 46.

The shifting can be better on the Sunrace but I've had a couple that creaked. Questionable quality for sure.

Posted: May 5, 2019 at 17:21 Quote
Mine has been flawless, but I will take a creak over grinding shifting, burred up cassette anytime. I have been really disappointed in the xt cassette quality. Plus, there are 7 cogs on 2 carriers instead of 6, which means less biting into my freewheel body of the single cogs.

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
NachoManRandySalad wrote:
New to me, 2018 Hightower LT. Great build and spec for the interior mountains of British Columbia!

Is that a HTLT rear triangle and a OGHT front triangle?

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 12:24 Quote
Solway06 wrote:
NachoManRandySalad wrote:

Is that a HTLT rear triangle and a OGHT front triangle?

Correct it is!

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 10:36 Quote
gmoss wrote:

I would like to hear from anyone that has gone from the dps to the dpx2 or x2. My goal is better support on climbing. Coming from the TB, I would like to eliminate a little of the squishiness on the climb. I figure the high and low compression circuit on the x2 may be the ticket.? Or, there may be enough difference in the dpx2 and dps that I can go that route.

I went from DPS to DPX2. Stock shock had zero vol spacers. Adding next to smallest made a nice change with the DPS. Before that i felt i needed to always be in pedal mode of the shock, which limited downhill performance.

I came off of a dbinline, so i knew tuning the dps was going to be a bit of a limitation, but i gave it a few months of riding and shockwizing.

At 190lbs i was 4 clicks from full closed and there was too much compression, but i couldn’t do anything about it.

With dpx2 I’m in the middle of the rebound range and have backed off compression, so it much nicer to have some adjustments if i need them. I also added the next to smallest vol spacer and the dpx2 feels noticeably better both up and down compared to dps. The only time i reach for the pedal mode is extended gravel climb or maybe a very smooth pump-able trail

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 11:34 Quote
sennaster wrote:
gmoss wrote:

I went from DPS to DPX2. Stock shock had zero vol spacers. Adding next to smallest made a nice change with the DPS. Before that i felt i needed to always be in pedal mode of the shock, which limited downhill performance.

I came off of a dbinline, so i knew tuning the dps was going to be a bit of a limitation, but i gave it a few months of riding and shockwizing.

At 190lbs i was 4 clicks from full closed and there was too much compression, but i couldn’t do anything about it.

With dpx2 I’m in the middle of the rebound range and have backed off compression, so it much nicer to have some adjustments if i need them. I also added the next to smallest vol spacer and the dpx2 feels noticeably better both up and down compared to dps. The only time i reach for the pedal mode is extended gravel climb or maybe a very smooth pump-able trail

I need to check what volume spacer is in mine. In both my TB and this bike, I run the switch in the middle.

What do you mean by "there was too much compression" and "4 clicks from full closed? Are you talking about the DPS or the DPX2? which circuit, rebound or compression damping?

I spoke to Fox yesterday about the DPX2 and the person I spoke to said the middle setting was not recommended on the DPX2 as it really was not designed to do a whole lot, that folks wanted it so they provided it. LOL Said running in the "climbing mode" would be likely what I want. IDK about that though. I know this shock has 10 clicks of compression damping in full open. On my DPS from the TB, only 3, which I never used because I ran it in the middle. Fox also said the X2 was specifically designed as a descending shock and not for my application. So now, just focusing on the DPX2.

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
gmoss wrote:
sennaster wrote:
gmoss wrote:

I need to check what volume spacer is in mine. In both my TB and this bike, I run the switch in the middle.

What do you mean by "there was too much compression" and "4 clicks from full closed? Are you talking about the DPS or the DPX2? which circuit, rebound or compression damping?

I spoke to Fox yesterday about the DPX2 and the person I spoke to said the middle setting was not recommended on the DPX2 as it really was not designed to do a whole lot, that folks wanted it so they provided it. LOL Said running in the "climbing mode" would be likely what I want. IDK about that though. I know this shock has 10 clicks of compression damping in full open. On my DPS from the TB, only 3, which I never used because I ran it in the middle. Fox also said the X2 was specifically designed as a descending shock and not for my application. So now, just focusing on the DPX2.

if its the stock shock, there's probably no spacer in the DPS.

when i say there was "too much compression" in the DPS, i mean the LSC circuit was too slow to open for my repeated rock hits ( in full open ). nothing i could do about it, since no adjustment. when i would ride fast in rough terrain, the bike felt relatively harsh to the point my feet would hurt. I was 4 clicks from full closed on the rebound adjuster of the DPS. All that was after months of riding and a couple shockwiz sessions. Adding the vol spacer made the bike climb better, but i still felt like it needed to be in "climb mode" all the time ( or medium in fox speak ).

Switching to the DPX2, the bike felt much more controlled when things got rough, but also pedaled better as well in open mode. The LSC adjustment on the DPX2 allowed me to open it up faster, similar to how my dbinline was tuned. I just got back from multiple days in pisgah/dupont and i was very happy with the DPX2 compared to the last trip with DPS.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023733
Mobile Version of Website