Santa Cruz Hightower LT

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Hightower LT
Posted: May 7, 2019 at 16:37 Quote
sennaster wrote:
when i say there was "too much compression" in the DPS, i mean the LSC circuit was too slow to open for my repeated rock hits ( in full open ). nothing i could do about it, since no adjustment. when i would ride fast in rough terrain, the bike felt relatively harsh to the point my feet would hurt. I was 4 clicks from full closed on the rebound adjuster of the DPS. All that was after months of riding and a couple shockwiz sessions. Adding the vol spacer made the bike climb better, but i still felt like it needed to be in "climb mode" all the time ( or medium in fox speak ).

Switching to the DPX2, the bike felt much more controlled when things got rough, but also pedaled better as well in open mode. The LSC adjustment on the DPX2 allowed me to open it up faster, similar to how my dbinline was tuned. I just got back from multiple days in pisgah/dupont and i was very happy with the DPX2 compared to the last trip with DPS.

open mode to me feels too wallowy, but most of what I ride is more XC. If I rode more up, then down, open and closed mode for each, simple enough. But, that is not my riding most of the time.

coming form a dirt bike background and being heavily into the susp part of that sport, I have a good insight as to what is happening. This is why I ride in the mid setting because it is forcing more through the stack than bypassing it, giving a more controlled response. riding too low in the stroke, full open, can certainly give a harsh feeling on a motorcycle and I am sure it can be the same here. Also, I like a more active rebound. too closed and it can get harsh, to me. I wonder if both of those settings working together on your dps was causing the harshness you felt. I ran almost no R damping on my TB, but find I am running more on this bike to help keep it up in the stroke and control the kick. I am running just enough to keep the bike from pogo'ing, kicking, etc. I need to check where it is. Of course, this shock has a different tune than my TB had.

I may try a volume spacer if mine does not have one, relatively cheap experiment.

Now, I like what you are saying about the DPX2. Seems like what I am looking for if/when I make the change, though I am not dissatisfied with how the DPS is working at the moment.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 6:37 Quote
Got the new hope brakes on!

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 6:45 Quote
Cool. What were you running before? Be interested to here how they work. I have been pleased with XT, but have been eyeing those for a bit.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 9:37 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Cool. What were you running before? Be interested to here how they work. I have been pleased with XT, but have been eyeing those for a bit.

I think they feel amazing - but I was also coming off the stock Sram Level T brakes so I think anything's an upgrade. I like them better than my old XT brakes just because they're blue. LOL. And more adjustable.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 10:06 Quote
Envious you got to spend a few days riding in Pisgah. Yep, the Level brakes are nothing to write home about. We will have to ride at some point, compare.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
hightower LT dupont state forest
wicklow green in DuPont

Posted: May 11, 2019 at 15:22 Quote
After endlessly debating between this, the megatower, and whatever they are going to do with the hightower this year, I picked this bad boy up yesterday (on clearance) after testing them out. Just took it on its maiden voyage. Pretty damn sure I made the right choice, this bike is incredible!

Its a C S build in XXL, and man I love that Clay/Flat Dark Earth color!

Posted: May 11, 2019 at 18:07 Quote
theprofessionaljerry wrote:
After endlessly debating between this, the megatower, and whatever they are going to do with the hightower this year, I picked this bad boy up yesterday (on clearance) after testing them out. Just took it on its maiden voyage. Pretty damn sure I made the right choice, this bike is incredible!

Its a C S build in XXL, and man I love that Clay/Flat Dark Earth color!

Very cool. I was the same, got at such a good deal, I could not pass it up. Was not even really thinking about another bike a week earlier. Just a little mushier standing while climbing, but it ain't much worse than the tallboy I came from, and it handles everything else so well. Congrats!

I got the light blue.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 1:38 Quote
The HTLT is an awesome bike for most riders. It‘s more a trailbike than an Enduro though. I know that many people ride it Enduro but I‘m a heavy rider and didn‘t get it dialed to my liking.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 21:01 Quote
niconj wrote:
The HTLT is an awesome bike for most riders. It‘s more a trailbike than an Enduro though. I know that many people ride it Enduro but I‘m a heavy rider and didn‘t get it dialed to my liking.

Being more of a long legged trail bike is what drew me to the htlt. This bikes rips both uphill and down.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:43 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
niconj wrote:

Being more of a long legged trail bike is what drew me to the htlt. This bikes rips both uphill and down.

Can anyone comment on the technical climbing ability of the HTLT vs MT? I'm still looking at the HTLT as a near do-it-all bike. Does the MT improve on every aspect or does the HTLT hit a sweet spot where it blurs the lines between AM and enduro? I worry that Santa Cruz will discontinue it soon now that they have the regular HT and MT.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 11:10 Quote

Got my blue pedals - bike is getting dialed in. Next up? My i-9 stem and the blue Hope rotors.

And for the guy above - this bike climbs really well but I thought it struggled mightedly with 160mm on the front and at 51mm offset. I reduced it to 150 and put a 44mm offset fork on there, slammed the seat forward and this bike climbs just like my old jeffsy, if not better because the VPP system. I think it's a great bike now - so much so that I canceled my 2019 YT JEffsy order to keep riding this bike.

I can't speak to the Megatower though - it looks like a bike slightly more for parks and enduro rather than trail which is what im using my HTLT for at the moment.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 16:54 Quote
SeaLegs26 wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
niconj wrote:

Can anyone comment on the technical climbing ability of the HTLT vs MT? I'm still looking at the HTLT as a near do-it-all bike. Does the MT improve on every aspect or does the HTLT hit a sweet spot where it blurs the lines between AM and enduro? I worry that Santa Cruz will discontinue it soon now that they have the regular HT and MT.

Megatower is definitely more of a DH sled feel than hightower lt. My mega should be here soon... Hopefully next week then I'll will ride it a shit ton and report back

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 21:09 Quote

2019 Santa Cruz HTLT CC 29 L
Fox Factory Float 36 Grip2 160mm
Fox Factory DPX2
Chris King dropset
Invisiframe

# wheelset
NOX Farlow Carbon 29 Wheelset
Hadley Hubs
CushCore inserts
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 MT
Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 MT

# drivetrain
Raceface Next R Cinch 170mm crank
Raceface 30T DM NW Chainring
Sram X01 Eagle speed trigger
Sram XO1 rear deraileur
Sram GX Eagle 1x12 10-50 cassette
Raceface Cinch BB
MRP bash/guide

# brakes
Magura MT5 Brakes
DMR Vault flats

# cockpit
Renthal Fatbar carbon 780mm
Renthal Apex stem 50mm
DMR Deathgrips
Fox Transfer Dropper
WTB Pure saddle

very stoked to get this thing assembled and ready to rip.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 21:10 Quote
drs66 wrote:

2019 Santa Cruz HTLT CC 29 L
Fox Factory Float 36 Grip2 160mm
Fox Factory DPX2
Chris King dropset
Invisiframe

# wheelset
NOX Farlow Carbon 29 Wheelset
Hadley Hubs
CushCore inserts
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 MT
Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 MT

# drivetrain
Raceface Next R Cinch 170mm crank
Raceface 30T DM NW Chainring
Sram X01 Eagle speed trigger
Sram XO1 rear deraileur
Sram GX Eagle 1x12 10-50 cassette
Raceface Cinch BB
MRP bash/guide

# brakes
Magura MT5 Brakes
DMR Vault flats

# cockpit
Renthal Fatbar carbon 780mm
Renthal Apex stem 50mm
DMR Deathgrips
Fox Transfer Dropper
WTB Pure saddle

very stoked to get this thing assembled and ready to rip.
Looks awesome. Line up your Maxxis logos with the valve stem.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029155
Mobile Version of Website