Santa Cruz Hightower LT

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Hightower LT
Author Message
Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 11:35 Quote
stevenEK9 wrote:

that looks the titties !! Drool

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 12:42 Quote
Welp, I think I’m going to pull the trigger on some i9 wheels with the hydra hubs and blue spokes.

Anyone have any better suggestions that may not involve me paying $1500?

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 15:16 Quote
The regular I9 hubs are great and you can have a set built at Colorado Cyclist for about half that. They have built me 2 sets.

I have been checking and wondering when they will get the new hubs. Need to call them.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 15:27 Quote
gmoss wrote:
The regular I9 hubs are great and you can have a set built at Colorado Cyclist for about half that. They have built me 2 sets.

I have been checking and wondering when they will get the new hubs. Need to call them.

So those are with the older i9 Torch hubs? And you're saying they're about $750 or so for the set?

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
Yep. I paid $800 or less for my I9/Flow wheelset with the black lighter spokes, 1.8/2.0 I believe.

CC almost always has a 10% coupon that says it doesn't apply to wheels, but both sets I bought did.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 21:25 Quote
For anyone wondering, yes it does.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 22:57 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
Welp, I think I’m going to pull the trigger on some i9 wheels with the hydra hubs and blue spokes.

Anyone have any better suggestions that may not involve me paying $1500?

I’ve got 2 sets of I9 wheels, go for it, I also have a set of wheels with just the hubs, when you have just the hubs you’ve got half the system, yes they sound the same, they don’t ride the same at all, the full wheels are much more precise

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 4:37 Quote
A lot of variables at play in respect to ride, build, rims, terrain, rider weight, etc. I have ridden both on same model bike, back to back. Marginal difference for double the money, at least for what and how I ride. I'd rather use that money somewhere else, or even another set of wheels. It is a decision we all have to make for ourselves. For me, $1500 for wheels is something I cannot justify, especially when the other option is available for much less. Now, if I rode really rough terrain, was a lot faster, etc, I could have a different perspective.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 10:49 Quote
gmoss wrote:
A lot of variables at play in respect to ride, build, rims, terrain, rider weight, etc. I have ridden both on same model bike, back to back. Marginal difference for double the money, at least for what and how I ride. I'd rather use that money somewhere else, or even another set of wheels. It is a decision we all have to make for ourselves. For me, $1500 for wheels is something I cannot justify, especially when the other option is available for much less. Now, if I rode really rough terrain, was a lot faster, etc, I could have a different perspective.

Yeah 1500 for a wheelset is crazy.... But then I bought a chris king/reserve wheelset and... They're pretty rad. Never need another set of wheels now!

Om the topic of the Hydra hub. I have some on another bike. They are way easier to service/lube than the old design. So if you prefer a quieter freehub they take seconds to lube up. Then if you like loud hubs. Holy shit they sound rad when you run them nearly dry. Very good for ratcheting up tech climbs. Bearing quality isn't as solid as a king hub in the long run though.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 11:14 Quote
nubbs wrote:
gmoss wrote:
A lot of variables at play in respect to ride, build, rims, terrain, rider weight, etc. I have ridden both on same model bike, back to back. Marginal difference for double the money, at least for what and how I ride. I'd rather use that money somewhere else, or even another set of wheels. It is a decision we all have to make for ourselves. For me, $1500 for wheels is something I cannot justify, especially when the other option is available for much less. Now, if I rode really rough terrain, was a lot faster, etc, I could have a different perspective.

Yeah 1500 for a wheelset is crazy.... But then I bought a chris king/reserve wheelset and... They're pretty rad. Never need another set of wheels now!

Om the topic of the Hydra hub. I have some on another bike. They are way easier to service/lube than the old design. So if you prefer a quieter freehub they take seconds to lube up. Then if you like loud hubs. Holy shit they sound rad when you run them nearly dry. Very good for ratcheting up tech climbs. Bearing quality isn't as solid as a king hub in the long run though.

I have a set up built CK wheels on my old Superlight. Been bulletproof since 2001 or so. I went I9 this time just to change it up, and they are fairly local to me. Once you have a tight engagement, near impossible to ride anything else.

Good to know about the Hydras. I would like to upgrade, selling mine at some point.

2019 HTLT light blue - What accent colors have you guys been using? The bronze on the side is tough to do anything with. The Jagwire carbon silver brake lines look like the match well enough, but not sure. I hope to upgrade the fork at some point and will go with the orange Fox Factory, which will break up the blue and black. Liked the matte finish to start, but realize I like the gloss better.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 11:15 Quote
MikeAzBS wrote:
For anyone wondering, yes it does.

what did that come off of? Megatower?

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
I just ordered it from SC. It was $8 plus shipping.
Its listed as "Chainstay Protector Type 4"

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 14:06 Quote
MikeAzBS wrote:
I just ordered it from SC. It was $8 plus shipping.
Its listed as "Chainstay Protector Type 4"

Was it hard to ge the old one off?

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
gmoss wrote:

2019 HTLT light blue - What accent colors have you guys been using? The bronze on the side is tough to do anything with. The Jagwire carbon silver brake lines look like the match well enough, but not sure. I hope to upgrade the fork at some point and will go with the orange Fox Factory, which will break up the blue and black. Liked the matte finish to start, but realize I like the gloss better.

Mine is the light blue with an All Mountain Guards grey camo frame protection kit. Almost everything else is black. Some colour certainly would help. It's a pretty subdued blue so I'm sure you could mix in almost anything bright.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 14:31 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
MikeAzBS wrote:
I just ordered it from SC. It was $8 plus shipping.
Its listed as "Chainstay Protector Type 4"

Was it hard to ge the old one off?

Not hard to get off. Had mine off to install invisiframe.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016247
Mobile Version of Website