Santa Cruz Hightower LT

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Hightower LT
Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 10:17 Quote
Has anyone here gotten a chance to ride the new HT 2 and compare it to the HTLT? Wondering about making the jump but I don't want to lose any of the confidence on the downhill with the longer shock in the rear (even though it's only 10mm). I think the longer slacker aspect of the new Geometry may still make the ride better than the HTLT but want to talk to someone who has experience riding both.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 10:28 Quote
Kind of curious myself, but I did talk with SC the other day figuring out some stuff about my bikes. He said the new HT kind of feel in between the old HT and the LT as far as progressiveness and feel. The LT is designed in a way that just makes it what it is, and what has me scratching my head so much. I would like to throw a leg over one of the new designs, but not at the point of paying a rental fee for it...need to check on when the next local demo day is....

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 10:42 Quote
I feel the same way too - I kind of want to ask the shop here if I can take it for a spin. I feel like it would be better than the HTLT in all aspects now that it's longer and slacker in the front. However - I'm not sure that that equates to it feeling more confident on the downhills than the HTLT. I do think that I like the slightly steeper headtube on the HTLT because I can' whip that front left and right during fast switchbacks on our trails and it feels SUPER nimble. The only aspect I want to change is that seat tube angle lol.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 10:43 Quote
But I don't know if that's worth me losing $1500 selling my HTLT frame and picking up the new HT2 frame.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 12:11 Quote
I haven't ridden the new HT2. I have owned the HTLT and now have a Megatower though. I would almost guarantee that the HT2 is more capable than the HTLT. I think the lower link design will make up for the lost 10mm but more importantly is the geometry. I never felt comfortable riding the HTLT on really steep DH tracks. The slacker hta makes a big difference in the steep stuff.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 16:28 Quote
My DPX2 will be here Monday, and getting ready to order a set of SC Reserve wheels with I9 hubs. Really looking forward to seeing how this bike rides with some rotational weight shed and a more tuned shock. I have debated on whether to just go I9 wheelset with straight pull spokes, but for basically the same money I can order the Reserves. Curious about how they ride comparatively.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 17:44 Quote
Good move with the Reserves. Lifetime warranty vs 2 year. I love love love Industry 9, and I bet the 305's are awesome, but wheel warranty is really important imo.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 17:49 Quote
Thanks, I didn't even think about that. Great point.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 6:03 Quote
Got the DPX2 installed yesterday and got a short ride on it. Anyone have thoughts on settings to start, volume reducers? I have not checked the reducer yet, but could tell it was not as plush as the shock that came on it with no spacers.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 14:08 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Got the DPX2 installed yesterday and got a short ride on it. Anyone have thoughts on settings to start, volume reducers? I have not checked the reducer yet, but could tell it was not as plush as the shock that came on it with no spacers.

i swapped from DPS to DPX2 ... i needed the gray vol spacer, which is the next to smallest. Also, just FYI, for this size dpx2 you can only use the smallest 3 spacers. Also, my DPX2 came stock with 4 clicks of LSC in the micro adjuster ,which i reduced to 1.

i'm 225psi, 8 clicks of reb from full closed and 1 click of LSC. I weigh ~190lbs and like everything about the DPX2 over the DPS i removed. It was OK, but at my weight, style, i was only 2 clicks away from being out of rebound adjustment and it only ever felt that great to me in climb mode. The DPX2 feels much more controlled and i have more range of adjustment.

i definitely shockwiz'd the two shocks while dialing them in. It was after the DPS shockwiz session that i went ahead with the DPX2 because i couldn't get it any better.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 16:12 Quote
Very good info. I appreciate it. I will be working with this more later this week. Right now, the bike feels like a turd with the heavy wheels and tires. That will be changing later this week with the addition of a set of Reserves. I need to check what spacer is in it, too.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 18:33 Quote
sennaster wrote:
Also, just FYI, for this size dpx2 you can only use the smallest 3 spacers.

On this, why is this the case and what determines otherwise? There is no mention on the pack and someone could easily mess something up not knowing.

This one has the gray reducer installed. I am trying to find the balance between pedaling efficiency while retaining the trail travel, suppleness it had stock.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 19:14 Quote
gmoss wrote:
sennaster wrote:
Also, just FYI, for this size dpx2 you can only use the smallest 3 spacers.

On this, why is this the case and what determines otherwise? There is no mention on the pack and someone could easily mess something up not knowing.

This one has the gray reducer installed. I am trying to find the balance between pedaling efficiency while retaining the trail travel, suppleness it had stock.

It’s listed in the vol spacer chart per fox:
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=568

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012565
Mobile Version of Website