Santa Cruz Hightower LT

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Hightower LT
Author Message
Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 17:00 Quote
Wheels came in today...SC Reserves with I9 Torch hubs, 27mm ID (1760 grams). IDK what SC has done, or I9 has done, but these wheels are all but silent on the trail. I know the carbon rims help with the sound deadening, but they don't make ANY noise when riding. They are like adding another level of susp suppleness to the ride. Pick any line, carve, but dampens the chatter I would normally get, and my Stans/I9 wheels were a vast improvement over OEM stuff. The only thing I don't like about these wheels are the short valve stems. The core came out and lost the small white teflon like bushing. Valves seem cheap so I will be replacing those.

The shock: Really impressed at how composed the rear is now. Not a drastic change in pedal firmness when standing up like I would like to have, but man how it works to keep the rear planted.

Weighs right at 31 lbs right now, and I don't have all my preferred components on this bike at this point.

Can't wait to get it on some real trails this weekend.


Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 9:17 Quote
gmoss wrote:
...

Weighs right at 31 lbs right now, and I don't have all my preferred components on this bike at this point.

Thank you for the write up. I am too looking to upgrade to the SC Reserve wheels.

I'm very curious though.. even with the new carbon wheels the bike remains in the low 30s lbs?

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 9:37 Quote
rixMTB wrote:
gmoss wrote:
...

Weighs right at 31 lbs right now, and I don't have all my preferred components on this bike at this point.

Thank you for the write up. I am too looking to upgrade to the SC Reserve wheels.

I'm very curious though.. even with the new carbon wheels the bike remains in the low 30s lbs?

The Reserve wheels aren't especially light. That combined with the NX drivetrain will certainly add up.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
This only has NX cranks. I have a mix of XT, XTR, and Sunrace drivetrain on this bike. Running XT brakes. As far as I am concerned, these wheels are pretty dern light at 1760 grams. I can't imagine getting much lighter and be sturdy enough for anything major.

My other bike has the other componnents, I am just not sure yet if I want to move them over. If I do, it will have XT 12 speed, XTR single piston brakes, Fox Transfer post, Turbine cranks. Will be hard to shed a lot more weight off, but maybe another half a pound or so. The shock is heavier than what came on it, and the 36 is not a lightwieght fork.

Will be picking up a hanging scale soon so I can get a more accurate #. Bathroom scale right now. LOL

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 20:02 Quote
You can definitely get it at or under 28 lbs if you really wanted to. I'm at 28 even with X2, 36, and 2000 grams in tires. And that's an XL.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 20:23 Quote
Under 28lb with pedals? That’s extremely light. Mine is a bit under 30 with a working class kinda build.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 5:07 Quote
Yeah, I just don't see where 2 to 3 lbs can come from currently. I compare weights often and most of the components I have are not much heavier than the really expensive lightweight parts available. I am on a C as well, so about a half lb there. Heck, my XL TB CC was 29.5 lbs with similar build.

Please tell us your parts list. Seriously, I am interested.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 14:59 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Yeah, I just don't see where 2 to 3 lbs can come from currently. I compare weights often and most of the components I have are not much heavier than the really expensive lightweight parts available. I am on a C as well, so about a half lb there. Heck, my XL TB CC was 29.5 lbs with similar build.

Please tell us your parts list. Seriously, I am interested.

This was before putting an Assegai on the front. It's now 28 lbs even.
I know it's not a cheap build, but these are components that have migrated from my last couple bikes over 5 years and upgraded here and there. If you dont mind 11 speed, you can save a lot of weight. Although X01/XX1/XTR 12 speed is only 130-150 grams heavier.

This was before putting an Assegai on the front. It's now 28 lbs even.
CC XL Invisiframe, bolt thru axle
Nobl TR-36 with I9 Torch hubs, 1700 gr.
Next-R 170 cranks
Chris King BB
Wolftooth elliptical 30 tooth Chainring
KMC X11-SL
XTR M9000 shifter and Derailleur
XX1 11 speed cassette
Fox X2 shock
Fox Factory 36 NA with Grip-2 damper, bolt thru axle, Invisiframe
Chris King headset
Next-R 35 stem 40mm length
Next-R 35 bars, 20mm rise, 780 width
ESI chunky grips
XTR 9020 brakes
Shimano RT-86 rotors, 180 f/r
KS Lev Ci 175mm dropper, Wolftooth ReMote
Ergon SMR3 saddle
HT ME03 pedals
Pictured is a Dissector EXO 2.4 rr and DHF 2.5 fr. 4 oz Orange seal per tire. The Assegai on it now weighs 1170 grams.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 17:12 Quote
There really should not be that much difference in our weights. You have a 1/2 lb on me with the frame, and a little on some other parts, but I am lighter on some. Certainly not 3 lbs worth. Of course, I am using the bathroom scale with me, them me holding the bike. But, it does not feel particularly light when held.

I am running light tires, Rekon 2.6 up front, 770 grams or so and a DHR II rear at about 850 grams. Cranks add a little over what you have, wheels are about the same. IDK where any more substantial weight can come from. I am also running a Fatbar Lite and Renthal Apex stem.

Have you checked the scale against other scales? I know they can be off sometimes. I am going to pick up a scale soon. My scale could be off for sure and often wonder, but my bike doesn't feel like a 28 lb bike. I only ask because I used to trust my floor pump before being made aware it was off by 10+ lbs. Haha

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 17:24 Quote
that drivetrain and brakes combo is pretty light and the Next R cranks are extremely light. Still seems very light for the build listed. All well, rad bike dude!

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 17:36 Quote
Still only talking about a half pound or so. I am running 11 speed on this bike right now and my tires are a lot lighter than his. Very nice build though. Once I combine the best parts from both my bikes, I will save some weight, but I just understand where so much comes from.

Next cranks are maybe 100 grams lighter than the Turbines, which I have. I am running XTR shifter and chain, XT der, Sunrace cass. Cassette is a heavier, but what, maybe another 100 grams or so. I am nearly a lb lighter on tires.

Thanks for sharing info.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 18:10 Quote
Sram cassette work well with shimano shifter? Hmm

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 19:13 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Have you checked the scale against other scales? I know they can be off sometimes. I am going to pick up a scale soon. My scale could be off for sure and often wonder, but my bike doesn't feel like a 28 lb bike. I only ask because I used to trust my floor pump before being made aware it was off by 10+ lbs. Haha

We have 2 calibrated hanging scales at work. I'll check them tomorrow.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 19:24 Quote
I don't doubt yours is accurate. That was more rhetorical. LOL I don't trust my weighing method. Haha

Thanks though.

I just need to buck up and get one.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 20:16 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Sram cassette work well with shimano shifter? Hmm
It really works great. I have been on different versions of this setup for a few years. Doesn't hurt that the X01 and XX1 only weigh 260 grams.
gmoss wrote:
I don't doubt yours is accurate. That was more rhetorical. LOL I don't trust my weighing method. Haha

Thanks though.

I just need to buck up and get one.
It's not a bad idea to double check it. I've had plenty of scales be off over the years. I had a cheap scale that I used for my draw board for Compound bows before buying the Park Tools. They were identical, so I just went with it. I'm pretty sure its within a couple ounces of being accurate though.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010084
Mobile Version of Website