Santa Cruz Hightower LT

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Hightower LT
Posted: May 19, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
Within a few hours of sending santa cruz the picture of the tire rub, they sent me the link to fill out a warranty claim. I talked to one of the reps on the phone and he said the rear tire should never hit there no matter what. He did mention they have zero hightower LT frames anymore.

Included in the pictures I uploaded for the claim, I sent this. You can see how close the tire sits at full compression with the air out of the shock. It makes sense the tire would hit on bottom out.

photo

I assume the rub area lines up with the tire in that location? I should check mine. I doubt they will warranty just based on a photo like that, probably want to see actual rubbing. I guess that is one way to get a new bike...

Would shock air spring pressure, volume reducer ran, affect this occurrence?

I also ride a large.

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
They did see that its rubbing. I sent them the same picture I posted here. Its clear as day that the tire is hitting.
Like mentioned before this has happened to others. Its not like this a a fluke. I hate to warranty the bike for this reason but 100% a bike should not do this and will hurt the value. No one is going to want to buy a used bike that has a rear tire that hits it.

220 psi in the shock and a .6 volume spacer is a stiff ride for someone who is only 175 pounds. I sit at around 20% sag

Last thing I want is a new bike and have to pay a shop $$$ to swap it all over.

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 14:14 Quote
If I didn't have frame protection there, it would have gouged the carbon pretty good.

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 14:33 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
They did see that its rubbing. I sent them the same picture I posted here. Its clear as day that the tire is hitting.
Like mentioned before this has happened to others. Its not like this a a fluke. I hate to warranty the bike for this reason but 100% a bike should not do this and will hurt the value. No one is going to want to buy a used bike that has a rear tire that hits it.

220 psi in the shock and a .6 volume spacer is a stiff ride for someone who is only 175 pounds. I sit at around 20% sag

Last thing I want is a new bike and have to pay a shop $$$ to swap it all over.

nope, should not happen, which is why they will warranty it. next time I deflate my shock, will check clearance.

I run 240-250 psi with one of the blue reducers, cannot remember which one, but close to the largest I can run.

I do my own work and build up from frames so I don't mind a bit if I had to swap frames.

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 11:02 Quote
update.

Santa cruz was great to deal with. They are going to warranty the frame. I had the option between a hightower and megatower. I went with the hightower. They said the ETA is looking like early august. I am lucky that I can still right the LT until the new frames comes in.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
Anyone here have more recent experience with a Push 11-6 on their HTLT? I'm trying to get mine set correctly but want to ensure I'm going about it the right way.

They have pre-set tunes for 2 rider weights and I'm smack dab in the middle. I went for the lower one and think I should have gone for the higher. Right now, I'm getting 30% sag, but I went 2 spring weights up from their recommendation, 525lbs to 575lbs. I still feel like it goes through travel quickly and gets hung up on square edges but that might just be the result of me being out of the tuning range now.

I'll reach out to them soon, just thought I'd hear from any others on here too. Rider weight, spring, settings, and your opinion of how it rides would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 at 0:22 Quote
Anybody using a fox 34?

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
Mister-r21 wrote:
Anybody using a fox 34?

I am still running the stock 36 on mine. Is there a reason you want to go to a 34?

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 at 9:49 Quote
Mister-r21 wrote:
Anybody using a fox 34?
Yeah this bike deserves a 36. With 150-160mm travel on a 29” fork a 34 is just too spindly and not enough bushing overlap. Most I’d go on a 29er 34 is 130mm.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 at 18:07 Quote
maxlombardy wrote:
Mister-r21 wrote:
Anybody using a fox 34?
Yeah this bike deserves a 36. With 150-160mm travel on a 29” fork a 34 is just too spindly and not enough bushing overlap. Most I’d go on a 29er 34 is 130mm.

I currently have a 130mm Rockshox Recon 44 rake that came with my 2019 HTLT. Not sure if it was swapped out but it does have NX components so its obviously the base model....

I am trying to stay low budget by getting used parts and fox 34 fits the budget if I would notice a performance increase from going that route. But as usual its looking more like I should just buy a better build bike instead of slowly swapping components out....

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 at 18:58 Quote
I have a 19 LT and a 130mm fork was never stock on this bike. It wasn't even on a Hightower which I also have. The LT came with 150, and needs it. Used parts wise, I would think a late model 36 would be about the same as a late model 34.

Get a 36, 150mm.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 at 22:17 Quote
Or even a pike or Yari at 150 would be a big improvement! Go for a burly 150-160 fork the bike needs it!

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 4:39 Quote
Mister-r21 wrote:
maxlombardy wrote:
Mister-r21 wrote:
Anybody using a fox 34?

I currently have a 130mm Rockshox Recon 44 rake that came with my 2019 HTLT. Not sure if it was swapped out but it does have NX components so its obviously the base model....

I am trying to stay low budget by getting used parts and fox 34 fits the budget if I would notice a performance increase from going that route. But as usual its looking more like I should just buy a better build bike instead of slowly swapping components out....

NX is good stuff. Only thing holding he bike back is the fork. You can find a used base model 36 for under 500 bucks.

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 6:17 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
Mister-r21 wrote:
maxlombardy wrote:

NX is good stuff. Only thing holding he bike back is the fork. You can find a used base model 36 for under 500 bucks.

Agreed, NX is good stuff. I would spend the money on upgrading that fork to what it should be 150mm with I think a 44 offset (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Even with a used 150mm fork you'll start to see what the bike is really capable of. On buying used, just make sure that the fork steering tube is long enough to fit with a couple of spacers, and plan your budget to include a fork service. Hope this help and have fun riding.

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 6:30 Quote
What’s your budget? *IF* I can source a 38mm fork, I’ve got a Marz Z1 w/coil conversion (adjustable from 150-170mm) I’d let go for a reasonable price.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011523
Mobile Version of Website