Santa Cruz Hightower LT

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Hightower LT
Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 19:02 Quote
rhinomtb wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
Mister-r21 wrote:

I currently have a 130mm Rockshox Recon 44 rake that came with my 2019 HTLT. Not sure if it was swapped out but it does have NX components so its obviously the base model....

I am trying to stay low budget by getting used parts and fox 34 fits the budget if I would notice a performance increase from going that route. But as usual its looking more like I should just buy a better build bike instead of slowly swapping components out....

NX is good stuff. Only thing holding he bike back is the fork. You can find a used base model 36 for under 500 bucks.

Agreed, NX is good stuff. I would spend the money on upgrading that fork to what it should be 150mm with I think a 44 offset (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Even with a used 150mm fork you'll start to see what the bike is really capable of. On buying used, just make sure that the fork steering tube is long enough to fit with a couple of spacers, and plan your budget to include a fork service. Hope this help and have fun riding.

150mm , 51mm offset is the stock fork setup from SC. I'm sure 44 wouldn't be too weird though..

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 19:23 Quote
rhinomtb wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
Mister-r21 wrote:

I currently have a 130mm Rockshox Recon 44 rake that came with my 2019 HTLT. Not sure if it was swapped out but it does have NX components so its obviously the base model....

I am trying to stay low budget by getting used parts and fox 34 fits the budget if I would notice a performance increase from going that route. But as usual its looking more like I should just buy a better build bike instead of slowly swapping components out....

NX is good stuff. Only thing holding he bike back is the fork. You can find a used base model 36 for under 500 bucks.

Agreed, NX is good stuff. I would spend the money on upgrading that fork to what it should be 150mm with I think a 44 offset (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Even with a used 150mm fork you'll start to see what the bike is really capable of. On buying used, just make sure that the fork steering tube is long enough to fit with a couple of spacers, and plan your budget to include a fork service. Hope this help and have fun riding.

Yeah definitely on the hunt for a fox 36 kashima or settle for lower end 36... I want match Kashima for the bling...

I went down on my favorite mountain and already setting PRs, HTLT is a tank and just wants to go (comparing to two gravel bikes, yeti hardtail)

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 19:25 Quote
nubbs wrote:
rhinomtb wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

150mm , 51mm offset is the stock fork setup from SC. I'm sure 44 wouldn't be too weird though..

I read somewhere 2019 went with 44. My current fork is 44. So far feels good...

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 6:39 Quote
Best Maxxis tire combo and width?

I wanna change the look and get tan walls and was wondering if there is a better combo than what I currently have:
2.4 rear Maxxis DHRII and 2.3 Maxxis DHF

Please let me know your favorite tire setup on your bike and why!?

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
Mister-r21 wrote:

I wanna change the look and get tan walls and was wondering if there is a better combo than what I currently have:

I am still using the 2.4 rear DHRII, but up front I swap to the Maxxis 2.5 Assegai and loving this setup. I mostly ride loose over hard pack dirt out in the Front Range in Colorado. I tried going to a larger tire in the rear, but it was causing rocks, mud to get stuck and scratch the hell out of the frame. So, i went back down to the 2.4 in the rear and I've not had issues since. I've tried an Aggressor in the rear, but hated it because I just kept sliding out on turns. For the front, the Assegai seems to me to have more traction then the DHF, but that's probably just what I feel.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 9:08 Quote
rhinomtb wrote:
Mister-r21 wrote:

I am still using the 2.4 rear DHRII, but up front I swap to the Maxxis 2.5 Assegai and loving this setup. I mostly ride loose over hard pack dirt out in the Front Range in Colorado. I tried going to a larger tire in the rear, but it was causing rocks, mud to get stuck and scratch the hell out of the frame. So, i went back down to the 2.4 in the rear and I've not had issues since. I've tried an Aggressor in the rear, but hated it because I just kept sliding out on turns. For the front, the Assegai seems to me to have more traction then the DHF, but that's probably just what I feel.

Love the feedback to my responses bro! thx! I hit a soft patch of loose dirt and sand in the front with my DHF last weekend and lost control n fell which sounds consistent about traction... I might look into Assegai...

Oh any reason why you went wider in front? Not sure what rule of thumb is in front tires but most setups seem to be a lower width than rear

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 9:59 Quote
I would get the proper fork on the bike before you say a tire is loosing traction.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 10:54 Quote
Mister-r21 wrote:
rhinomtb wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

Yeah definitely on the hunt for a fox 36 kashima or settle for lower end 36... I want match Kashima for the bling...

I went down on my favorite mountain and already setting PRs, HTLT is a tank and just wants to go (comparing to two gravel bikes, yeti hardtail)

I have my Perf Fox 36 from my 19 HTLT on my 17 HT. Thought about selling the 36 and going to a 34 on that bike. If interested, you can message me. My 2 bikes are currently too close to each other in set up.

As far as tires, I have settled on the Bontrager XR4 2.4 front and rear. I move front to back when rear gets worn and put new one on the front. I used lots of Maxxis and like these best. I can hit anything during one ride from mud, sand, hard, loose over hard, rocks, roots, loam.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 11:00 Quote
Mister-r21 wrote:
maxlombardy wrote:
Mister-r21 wrote:
Anybody using a fox 34?
Yeah this bike deserves a 36. With 150-160mm travel on a 29” fork a 34 is just too spindly and not enough bushing overlap. Most I’d go on a 29er 34 is 130mm.

Base model came with the Revelation at 150mm ... If thats the case, then a damper swap makes it a pike.

If you truly have a 130mm Recon ... then i'm not sure how you aren't just smacking pedals on the ground. the HTLT has a pretty low BB. I went to 160mm just to get a bit of extra clearance.

I've ridden mine with both lyrik 51mm offset and Fox 36 performance 44mm offset. Couldn't tell a difference between the offsets, but the newest version of the 36 performance is a really nice fork.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
sennaster wrote:
Mister-r21 wrote:
maxlombardy wrote:

Yeah this bike deserves a 36. With 150-160mm travel on a 29” fork a 34 is just too spindly and not enough bushing overlap. Most I’d go on a 29er 34 is 130mm.

Base model came with the Revelation at 150mm ... If thats the case, then a damper swap makes it a pike.

If you truly have a 130mm Recon ... then i'm not sure how you aren't just smacking pedals on the ground. the HTLT has a pretty low BB. I went to 160mm just to get a bit of extra clearance.

I've ridden mine with both lyrik 51mm offset and Fox 36 performance 44mm offset. Couldn't tell a difference between the offsets, but the newest version of the 36 performance is a really nice fork.

sennaster makes a really good point, and would save you some money.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 13:51 Quote
sennaster wrote:
Mister-r21 wrote:
maxlombardy wrote:

I got a half a foot clearance

Recon Silver RL - https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/specs/32t06990836
FS-RCNS-RL-D1 - 32t06990836
SERIAL NO
32T06990836
PART NO
MODEL ID
FS-RCNS-RL-D1
MODEL NAME
Recon Silver RL
WHEEL SIZE
29"
TRAVEL
130MM
STEERER
1.5" TAPERED
AXLE
15X110MM BOOST™
DAMPER TYPE
MOTION CONTROL
VOLUME REDUCER
N/A
DAMPER ADJUST
CROWN
SPRING
SOLO AIR
SPRING RATE
N/A
COLOR
DIFFUSION BLACK
FORK OFFSET
42MM (29")
MIN ROTOR SIZE
160MM

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 13:52 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
I would get the proper fork on the bike before you say a tire is loosing traction.

Yup, getting a fork first.

Posted: Sep 3, 2021 at 6:15 Quote
Post a pic of the bike with this said fork. I am curious what it looks like.

Posted: Sep 5, 2021 at 0:06 Quote
fourfourone wrote:

https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb21238740/p5pb21238740.jpg

Posted: Sep 5, 2021 at 9:01 Quote
Mister-r21 wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb21238740/p5pb21238740.jpg

That's not right. You bought the bike like that?...

I'd get a 150/160mm fork on that bike before upgrading or tweaking anything.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008059
Mobile Version of Website