CommuterJumper

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 20:40 Quote
So for the past 5 years I've used a bottom of the barrel cheap 700c singlespeed as my commuter bike, it does just fine, but it's just not 'fun'.

From the time I was 5 years old until I moved to Chile 6 years ago, something like 20 years, I rode BMX bikes on trails dug behind my house, and on street. But then when I moved to Chile, some locals introduced me to mountain biking, and I was hooked. Now, I'm a private English tutor in Santiago, Chile, so I spend most of my day riding from office to office, from one side of the city to the other, giving classes, on this fast, but real lame, 700c singlespeed.

I've got this idea floating around of building a hardtail dirtjumper into a commuter, putting a reasonable close geared cassette on it to move around the city, and a dropper so I can suddenly get rad when I want, or take it to the trails to play.

Does it sound feasible? Is it worth doing? Has anyone else done the same thing?

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 5:21 Quote
Sounds like a cool job and city to live in.

Check out this thread:

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=170716

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 7:11 Quote
yup. absolutely do it. commuting on DJs is how I ended up in mountain biking. it is great. putting gears on can help if you are in a really hilly city, but put the power down and single speed can work great too.

for reference, just last night I logged 11 miles on my single speed dirt jumper in Denver. not a ton of hills but there are a few.

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 7:19 Quote
I ride 6 miles to and from my office when the weather is a bit warmer/drier on a SS dirt jumper. Plenty of hills too just gotta grind it out...and bring extra deodorant to work tup

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005112
Mobile Version of Website