Looking for advice on purchasing a new bike

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Looking for advice on purchasing a new bike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 8:17 Quote
Hi, ladies -

I am new to mountain biking and bought my first bike a year ago. It is a basic model specialized bike that is a piece of junk -- the Ruze. I was told it is a 2014 model. It is a 10 speed -- 2x10 -- with 29 in tires, medium frame (I believe).

I am looking to upgrade but don't know where to start. I would appreciate any advice you ladies have to start my search.

I am 5' 6'' and 140 pounds and still a newbie but loved being on the trail (even if the chain on the bike fell off on inclines and wouldn't always shift when I needed it to). I am looking for a reliable bike that can I have to help push me and get better at biking.

Thoughts?

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 11:55 Quote
Are you looking or a whole new bike or do you want to upgrade parts on this one? What’s your budget?

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 at 19:50 Quote
I hadn't thought about upgrading parts -- not sure it would be worth it on the old bike. My original thought was a new bike and on a budget of $1,500 to $2,000 max.

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 11:26 Quote
Oh, gotcha! Yeah, it'd probably be worth just looking at a new bike to be honest. The upgrade game can be a pain in the ass! If you want to stick with Specialized, maybe consider the Fuse? It comes in a 29 and a 27plus version, and it's a fun little trail bike that will let you have lots of fun. You're tall enough to be able to ride a small or possibly a medium, so I'd say call up your local shop and see if they have one available. I would definitely recommend trying both sizes. The top end aluminum version seems to come in at $1500 and it comes with a dropper.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fuse-comp-6fattie-29/p/129201?color=240177-129201

Hope that helps!

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 16:58 Quote
I'm not tied to specialized at all. I'd even buy used. I was hoping that maybe some ladies here would be able to recommend bike components and parts to be looking for - or a place to learn more. I want to learn about bikes to help me buy something I'm going to love.

Like... Hardtail vs full suspension? Dropper posts - what should I know about them? 2x10 cassette or 1x12, what's a good combo? What kind of materials should I be looking for the frame to be made out of? Disc brakes or something else?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015368
Mobile Version of Website