Mach 5.5 or Bronson? Why must this be so hard!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Mach 5.5 or Bronson? Why must this be so hard!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 10:22 Quote
Picking up a new bike in the coming months, but I'm stuck with a difficult decision between two pretty awesome rides, and no option for test either of them before laying down the cash.

I love the look of the Mach 5.5, and appreciate that Pivot choose incredible suspension, no matter the build level. It also seems to be a pretty solid frame. The issue I have is that I'm not sure about the 2.6" rubber, and I will have a lot of pedaling to do. Moreover, I have no idea how the 5.5 will move forward, as I've never ridden a DW Link bike. Also, I'm not quite sure about the FOX DPS, but the X2 is definitely overkill for me.

On the flip side, I've loved the look of the Bronson since it was first announced, and know it to be pretty quick going up the hills. I like that it's running the DPX on the rear, but would I miss having that sweet sweet 160mm 36 up front?

Does anyone have experience on the Mach 5.5? I've done the usual read through the on-line tests, but honestly, I'd like an opinion from some people who have spent more time on it.

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 13:06 Quote
I’m wondering the same thing, adding in the 429 trail also..

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 20:38 Quote
Bronson, why? Cause it’s a SC, all u need to know

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 10:41 Quote
You really need to demo them. Generally picot and SC are Very different riding bikes. I think your choice will be clear after riding. Fwiw I've not ridden the 5.5. I have ridden a 429 trail and Bronson quite a bit. I personally really didn't like the 429 trail. I quite like the Bronson.

Also, the dps is very good. Better than I thought a simple inline shock could be.

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 13:02 Quote
BikePilotOne wrote:
You really need to demo them. Generally picot and SC are Very different riding bikes. I think your choice will be clear after riding. Fwiw I've not ridden the 5.5. I have ridden a 429 trail and Bronson quite a bit. I personally really didn't like the 429 trail. I quite like the Bronson.

Also, the dps is very good. Better than I thought a simple inline shock could be.

What didn’t you like about he trail?

I was also wondering about the 5010

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 13:47 Quote
BikePilotOne wrote:

Yeah, that's what makes it so tricky. We've got 3+ feet of snow everywhere around me, and I will be buying the bike way before it melts. Mind sharing your thoughts and preferences on the Bronson?

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 16:43 Quote
It's been a while since I've been on a Bronson, but honestly both are a great choice. The 2.6s on the mach5.5 did feel a bit much and I wonder how 2.4s would feel, but that's not possible on a demo bike. Personally I would take the Bronson because of the threaded bb, the pedaling feel, and the frame fit me better. Can't go wrong with either though.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009167
Mobile Version of Website