Trek Roscoe any good?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Roscoe any good?
Previous Page |
Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 2:15 Quote
Hi just asking if any one has tried the Trek Roscoe yet 7, 8 or 9 model and wondered what your thoughts are.

I cant decide on the Trek or Commencal Meta HT plus bike.
anyways what can or is the Trek able to handle trail wise with it being 120mm. Is that enough compared to Commencal 150mm.

ride trails and like techy decending with bit messingn around etc.

I have test rode the Roscoe 9 but didnt get to use it as crap wether kn demo day and wasnt set up to my liking but what did ride of it wasnt to bad.

any thought on them as driving me nuts Trek or Commencal, 120mm or 150mm.

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 at 15:09 Quote
Roscoe 9 is not available in the States. I bought an 8 on employee purchase in Oct. and it's still on backorder, I should hopefully get it in the next week or so. I've ridden a 7 around the shop and some light trails out back of the shop. It seems like a decent bike, but I'm not a fan of the coil spring fork.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 3:26 Quote
velo-suburbia wrote:
Roscoe 9 is not available in the States. I bought an 8 on employee purchase in Oct. and it's still on backorder, I should hopefully get it in the next week or so. I've ridden a 7 around the shop and some light trails out back of the shop. It seems like a decent bike, but I'm not a fan of the coil spring fork.

Cheers for your reply. Have you got your Trek yet, if so whats your thoughts. Yh the 7 got coils while the 8 and 9 has air forks. I just so cant decide on the Trek or Commencal ht with plus tyres.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 7:36 Quote
I still haven't gotten it yet. Hopefully soon though. The 7 is the entry level model with a coil Judy fork, no dropper, and 1x10 Deore to make it even more affordable.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 at 16:24 Quote
My Roscoe will be delivered to the shop tomorrow! Looks like I'll build it up after work!

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 9:43 Quote
velo-suburbia wrote:
My Roscoe will be delivered to the shop tomorrow! Looks like I'll build it up after work!

Cool stuff look forward to hear your thoughts on it.

Ps this is my other account im also Flowrider661.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 10:09 Quote
Hmmm.......2 accounts??

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 1:56 Quote
slope wrote:
Hmmm.......2 accounts??

I decided make new one as other one is old and I have asked if can change user name but never had reply. Bored and fancied change in user name.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 12:42 Quote
I got it built up last night. There are a few things that will definitely be upgraded pretty quickly such as the crank, brakes, and hubs but I knew that before I even bought the bike. The NX drivetrain is fine for now and the fork is decent, I'll ride it till it dies and put something better on.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 5:20 Quote
I just returned from my maiden voyage with the Roscoe 8 and figured I'd post my impressions so far:

Pros:
-Fun and very confidence inspiring!
-27.5+ tires are super grippy in muddy conditions and when climbing
-Dropper post works well and has a nicely designed lever
-Comfortable cockpit, no sore back or arms after my ride
-Accepts a front derailleur, rear rack, etc. and would be great for an off-road tour
-Tires ran great at lower pressures even without a tubeless conversion
-Orange and black looks cool!

Cons:
-Below average paint and finish (unevenly applied, chips easily)
-Boost 141 with a QR limits upgrades at this point
-The brakes are the weakest link on this bike in my opinion
-Kinda heavy but I suppose not unreasonable for the price
-Mix of internal and external cable routing seems weird

Since I got the bike I swapped over parts from my old bike as well as removing the reflectors, stickers, etc. Here's what got added: XT brakes, XT shifter, XT 11-42 cassette, XT crank w/ Oneup 34T chainring (very tight fit), and some Race Face Chester pedals. I have no plans to upgrade any more for a while as the bikes limits far exceed my skill level.

Granted I've only been on a few rides but I kinda see this bike as a jack of all trades, master of none. It can feel at home on a variety of terrain but won't excel any any one style.

At the end of the day this bike puts a huge smile on my face and to me that’s all that matters!

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 7:53 Quote
Still too icy around me to get a good ride in.
A boost DT 350 hub will work in the back all you have to do is swap out the thru axle end caps with QR end caps. I'm pretty sure any boost hub with removable end caps will work.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 16:33 Quote
velo-suburbia wrote:
I got it built up last night. There are a few things that will definitely be upgraded pretty quickly such as the crank, brakes, and hubs but I knew that before I even bought the bike. The NX drivetrain is fine for now and the fork is decent, I'll ride it till it dies and put something better on.
'

How d o you like the Ron's??

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 at 11:42 Quote
Got my first ride on it today. It was icy in spots but not as bad as I thought it would be. This bike is pretty great! The Rocket Rons are grippy. The only time I lost traction was climbing and I hit a patch of mud in the middle of the trail, but that would happen with just about any bike. The ice that I came across was pretty soft and I had no problems going through it.

Posted: Feb 3, 2018 at 3:10 Quote
velo-suburbia wrote:
Got my first ride on it today. It was icy in spots but not as bad as I thought it would be. This bike is pretty great! The Rocket Rons are grippy. The only time I lost traction was climbing and I hit a patch of mud in the middle of the trail, but that would happen with just about any bike. The ice that I came across was pretty soft and I had no problems going through it.

Thanks for your update. Im still thinking getting one soon, well in. Couple months to be exact as got couple things sort out first. Look so nice in the orange and when you look at it its alomost two tone orange and red. So we know it climbs well etc whats it like with the more techy section Ie roots and rooky section. Can it decend ok as hesr dthe geo is bit off but would that help relearning some skills again.

Looks like a good starter bike after being off a bike for couple yrs.

Thanks

Posted: Feb 4, 2018 at 9:58 Quote
flowrider661 wrote:
velo-suburbia wrote:

Thanks for your update. Im still thinking getting one soon, well in. Couple months to be exact as got couple things sort out first. Look so nice in the orange and when you look at it its alomost two tone orange and red. So we know it climbs well etc whats it like with the more techy section Ie roots and rooky section. Can it decend ok as hesr dthe geo is bit off but would that help relearning some skills again.

Looks like a good starter bike after being off a bike for couple yrs.

Thanks
Where I rode wasn't all that technical, but the few spots that are I had no problem with and it handles downhill sections better than my 29er. It's a pretty great trail bike and seems to do everything well.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007004
Mobile Version of Website