Trek Roscoe any good?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Roscoe any good?
Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 9:57 Quote
MitchatTrek wrote:
velo-suburbia wrote:
I'm using a RaceFace Turbine crank which is not boost specific, but the chainring is offset 3mm to work with a boost chainline.

Bingo, either a boost chainring with a 3mm offset or a boost crank that provides the chainline you want will suffice!

Got an 2020 roscoe 8 and I am wanting to upgrade the bottom bracket. Just not sure about the boost thing, the actual chainring is a 3mm offset and on trek website the specs are showing the crank to be a boost one.
So this means that I should get a boost crank with a 3mm offset chainring ?

Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 13:58 Quote
Just so you know, a non-Boost drivetrain on a Boost bike produces a better chainline! Most Boost bikes have enough chainstay clearance for a small chainring, but not for one on the larger end of the spectrum, and you could have issues with the chain interfering with the tire if you plan to max out your tire size.

Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 16:30 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Just so you know, a non-Boost drivetrain on a Boost bike produces a better chainline! Most Boost bikes have enough chainstay clearance for a small chainring, but not for one on the larger end of the spectrum, and you could have issues with the chain interfering with the tire if you plan to max out your tire size.

Yeah, I've read that also, getting non-boost cranks on boost frame could help to get a better chainline.
I do have already a chainring 3mm offset from old crankset. Maybe I will get the new crank non-boost and try it to check the chainline and if not ok then I will just replace the chainring. As if I understand well the only difference on boost and non-boost is the chainring 3mm (boost) vs 6mm (non-boost).

Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 19:23 Quote
Boost positions the drivetrain 3 mm farther outward than non-Boost. Various companies label the chainrings in different ways, but that 3 mm difference is always true.

Posted: Apr 16, 2020 at 12:35 Quote
I loved my roscoe!
I stripped it completely...lol put on a reba rl fork
Line pro 40 carbon wheels and kovee pro 30 29er wheels
Xo1 carbon crank
Xo1 cassette
Gx derailleur/ shifter
Level tl breaks
Race face stem
Race face o6 carbon bars.
Loved the geo of the bike. Wishe they would just make it a 148 boost so we don't have to mess with endcaps!
Unfortunately I didn't spend enough time before I bought it and found after a season the reach in my frame size was just too short! Had I sized up I'd still be on it for sure! If it was 148 I would have just found a larger frame. So sadly I've stripped it again and replaced the frame.
Over all it made a decent bike!

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 0:19 Quote
I have had my 2020 Roscoe 7 for about 8 months now and I am very happy with it. The big change I have made was I put 29er wheels and tires on it this season. I gave the 27.5 + tires a chance, and I just did not love them. If you want good components for the price, the Roscoe models are great. However, if you want a 29er go with the X caliber.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 11:47 Quote
I want to buy a Roscoe 8 2020 and i was wondering if it is too small for me... It's a m/L wich usually fit all the way up to 5'11'' but I'm 6'2''. Althought I'm use too ryde bmx and dirt bike wich are a lot smaller... what do you think?

Also, i was wondering if the bike would be compatible with a 150mm fork or 140mm fork... what's the max?

Thank you!

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 12:19 Quote
Philflow,

The Roscoe fits extremely short. The 410 mm reach is halfway between the average reach values for XS and Small frames from the trail, all-mountain, and enduro categories in 2019. I recommend a larger size.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 2:44 Quote
Kodo28 wrote:
MitchatTrek wrote:
velo-suburbia wrote:
I'm using a RaceFace Turbine crank which is not boost specific, but the chainring is offset 3mm to work with a boost chainline.

Bingo, either a boost chainring with a 3mm offset or a boost crank that provides the chainline you want will suffice!

Got an 2020 roscoe 8 and I am wanting to upgrade the bottom bracket. Just not sure about the boost thing, the actual chainring is a 3mm offset and on trek website the specs are showing the crank to be a boost one.
So this means that I should get a boost crank with a 3mm offset chainring ?

Hi y'all. Sorry I'm totally unaware of the whole boost technology since I'm mostly a roadie. I currently have a totally stock Trek Roscoe 8 2019, but I want to replace the chainring to make it at least 34 tooth. It's slightly unclear to be whether the Truvativ Decesdent crankset is already boosted, or whether the chainring is.

Essentially, I need to know whether to get a 3mm offset chainring (such as this one https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/raptor-chainring-sram-boost-direct-mount-narrow-wide.htm)
or a standard?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and again I'm sorry if this question is too redundant, I'm just still at a bit of a loss!

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 17:52 Quote
I am new to this after being out of the mtb scene for 12 years. Just got 2020 Roscoe7 and really like the bike but like many have found the stock components lacking. Looking to upgrade cranks from SX Eagle to XX1 or something comparable but $500 for crank is out of budget. Looking for suggestions on cranks set and bottom bracket. Already have oneup oval chain ring so would like to stick with sram if it makes sense. Goal is to build this one with components that are worthy of swapping onto different frame down the road. Thank you!!!

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 10:41 Quote
rotnjetski wrote:
I am new to this after being out of the mtb scene for 12 years. Just got 2020 Roscoe7 and really like the bike but like many have found the stock components lacking. Looking to upgrade cranks from SX Eagle to XX1 or something comparable but $500 for crank is out of budget. Looking for suggestions on cranks set and bottom bracket. Already have oneup oval chain ring so would like to stick with sram if it makes sense. Goal is to build this one with components that are worthy of swapping onto different frame down the road. Thank you!!!
I have Truvativ Stylo DUB cranks on 2 of my bikes and no complaints here. They are pretty much the same as a GX level crank and will work with your chainring. You can get pretty much any bottom bracket standard in the DUB spindle size so swapping them to a different frame later on is easy.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
Thank you. I think I'm going to try the DESCENDANT Carbon DUB™ Crankset. Its same family as the one you have, 1/2 the price of the XX1 and only 50grams heavier than the XX1.
velo-pepperell wrote:
rotnjetski wrote:
I have Truvativ Stylo DUB cranks on 2 of my bikes and no complaints here. They are pretty much the same as a GX level crank and will work with your chainring. You can get pretty much any bottom bracket standard in the DUB spindle size so swapping them to a different frame later on is easy.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 5:39 Quote
Good morning everyone. I have had my 2020 Roscoe 8 for about a month now. I'm 5'11" and bought a Large, should I have gotten a M/L? Or is it all by preference? I did go shorter on stem and swapped my 60mm to 35mm. Reading online I would have fallen in between both a M/L and L. I just felt like I didn't want to be too cramped up.

I do have another question, I wanted to use matchmaking system, but I see that the NX shifter has a built in bar clamp, am I able to get a GX shifter and just swap it out?

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 22:15 Quote
Doub1eR wrote:
Good morning everyone. I have had my 2020 Roscoe 8 for about a month now. I'm 5'11" and bought a Large, should I have gotten a M/L? Or is it all by preference? I did go shorter on stem and swapped my 60mm to 35mm. Reading online I would have fallen in between both a M/L and L. I just felt like I didn't want to be too cramped up.

I do have another question, I wanted to use matchmaking system, but I see that the NX shifter has a built in bar clamp, am I able to get a GX shifter and just swap it out?

I’m 6’, so just slightly taller, and my L fits perfect. Preference? Probably or possibly but there are other things to take into account when fitting a bike. I have long arms so having a smaller bike would have made me feel cramped. I’m swapping out the dropper as I think I’ve worn it out and want one with more range but other than that, it’s been the right fit.

I’ve been looking at upgrading to GX as well and SRAMs website says you can mix and match. I would confirm with your local bike shop though.

I’ve had my Roscoe 8 for two years now and am just as happy (and ecstatic) with it today as I was on day one.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 0:01 Quote
addy1897 wrote:
Doub1eR wrote:

I’m 6’, so just slightly taller, and my L fits perfect. Preference? Probably or possibly but there are other things to take into account when fitting a bike. I have long arms so having a smaller bike would have made me feel cramped. I’m swapping out the dropper as I think I’ve worn it out and want one with more range but other than that, it’s been the right fit.

I’ve been looking at upgrading to GX as well and SCRAMs website says you can mix and match. I would confirm with your local bike shop though.

I’ve had my Roscoe 8 for two years now and am just as happy (and ecstatic) with it today as I was on day one.

thanks for the reply! Yeah, after tinkering and just riding, large fits perfect. I also want to replace my dropper post so I can have more travel. Would love to get more travel so I don't have to higher it from the seat stem. Riding almost everyday, checking what to upgrade everyday, lol. Little things here and there.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035516
Mobile Version of Website