Solid Tires for Commuting on Cross / Road bike

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Solid Tires for Commuting on Cross / Road bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 8, 2018 at 13:18 Quote
Greetings All,
Looking for input on a tire/tube, tubeless or solid tire setup for commuting.

I'm a large cyclist (clydesdale at 6'2 and 260lbs) and get a flat 1 of 5 rides a week. I my RT ride is 40km each day, so i ride approx 200km weekly.

Current setup: 2016 Norco Threshold AL with 2017 Shimano 105 Groupo - Armadillo 700cX30 tires with standard tubes to fit.

Tried and failed: tubeless goop in the tubes (MEC brands), never worked and just made a mess

Thoughts:
1 - those solid core tires like - http://www.tannus.com in a "firm" compound.
2 - better tubes with another kind of tubeless goop inside
3 - Tank Treads
4 - HomeDepot's expanding foam inside my tubes (jk)...

Cheers and Thanks!
C

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 at 6:53 Quote
Clowden wrote:
Greetings All,

I'm a large cyclist (clydesdale at 6'2 and 260lbs) and get a flat 1 of 5 rides a week. I my RT ride is 40km each day, so i ride approx 200km weekly.

Current setup: 2016 Norco Threshold AL with 2017 Shimano 105 Groupo - Armadillo 700cX30 tires with standard tubes to fit.

Tried and failed: tubeless goop in the tubes (MEC brands), never worked and just made a mess

Thoughts:
3 - Tank Treads

Cheers and Thanks!
C

Do not do it! Solid tyres ride like shit, give no grip, wear quickly.

Get some new tubes with stans sealant.

Whats causing the punctures?

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 16:16 Quote
Solid tires are a bad idea on a number of levels. They can slide against the rim under braking, i.e. the rim stops rotating, but tire doesn't stop rotating (which means YOU don't stop). Also, since they have no air, they have no cushioning effect, which can beat rims and bearings to death. In addition to that, they can be a real bitch to get back off the rim in the event that you need to replace a spoke.

Stan's, Orange Seal, and Trucker Co. sealants all work well for simple punctures, but if you pinch flat a tube bad enough no sealant can fix that. If pinch flatting is your problem you need to run higher tire pressures, or better yet, run tubeless on something more like a 32mmm-40mm tire.

I commute to work day in/day out and also ride singletrack on my gravel bikes to the point where I have no earthly idea how many miles I do in a year, and both of my gravel bikes are set up tubeless. In over 3 years of running tubeless tires I have yet to find myself stranded with a flat. Tubeless just works.

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 15:14 Quote
ryanme wrote:
Clowden wrote:
Greetings All,

Thoughts:
3 - Tank Treads

Cheers and Thanks!
C

Do not do it! Solid tyres ride like shit, give no grip, wear quickly.

Get some new tubes with stans sealant.

Whats causing the punctures?

Thanks very much - TBH - I had a string of really bad luck with my tires and was completely fed up.

I'm riding on Specialized Armadillo All Season's right now, 700x30's and they are terrific! Logged a few thousand km's on them with no issue.

Now to solve my Disc Brake Squealing in all conditions.
Cleaned with IsoPropyl and clean rag, cleaned the pads, replaced the pads = no success.
New Discs are the next step with cleaned pads...

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 15:16 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Solid tires are a bad idea on a number of levels. They can slide against the rim under braking, i.e. the rim stops rotating, but tire doesn't stop rotating (which means YOU don't stop). Also, since they have no air, they have no cushioning effect, which can beat rims and bearings to death. In addition to that, they can be a real bitch to get back off the rim in the event that you need to replace a spoke.

Stan's, Orange Seal, and Trucker Co. sealants all work well for simple punctures, but if you pinch flat a tube bad enough no sealant can fix that. If pinch flatting is your problem you need to run higher tire pressures, or better yet, run tubeless on something more like a 32mmm-40mm tire.

I commute to work day in/day out and also ride singletrack on my gravel bikes to the point where I have no earthly idea how many miles I do in a year, and both of my gravel bikes are set up tubeless. In over 3 years of running tubeless tires I have yet to find myself stranded with a flat. Tubeless just works.

Many Thanks for the honesty
As my previous post - just BAD luck with tires and conditions. Specialized Armadillo's 700x30 have been my savior all winter and i'm really pleased with them.

Cheers, C

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 10:50 Quote
Clowden wrote:
Now to solve my Disc Brake Squealing in all conditions.
Cleaned with IsoPropyl and clean rag, cleaned the pads, replaced the pads = no success.
New Discs are the next step with cleaned pads...

Sounds like you pads might be glazed. Are they organic or metallic? You can reface them by lightly sanding them on a flat block but you should rebed them after doing such.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010800
Mobile Version of Website