Snapped gear cable

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Snapped gear cable
Previous Page |
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 at 12:46 Quote
I keep snapping my rear gear cable near the derailleur. On average I keep snapping them every 2 to 3 months. I have taken my bike to a number do different shops and all the spanner monkeys can't tell me why it's happening. I know it's not my bike as this has happened to every bike I have owned. Just wondering has this happened to anyone else and what did the do to stop it.
Cheers . .

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 17:16 Quote
Forearm too massive, hand strength too beastly... lol.

Seriously, how's your bike shifting and have you had someone else install the cable and set the tension or are you doing it yourself? Make sure your cable is routed correctly on the derailleur. Are you on or going into the largest cog when it snaps, hitting the limit screw? If so, refer to opening statement Smile

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 7:15 Quote
JasonGoss wrote:

Seriously, how's your bike shifting and have you had someone else install the cable and set the tension or are you doing it yourself? Make sure your cable is routed correctly on the derailleur. Are you on or going into the largest cog when it snaps, hitting the limit screw? If so, refer to opening statement Smile

LOL Bike shifting well and never changed cables myself. in fact different bike shops and mechanics fitting cable.

Tends to snap after a down hill section and about to change from smallest cog. Local bike mechanics say i am the only person they know who keeps doing this. My forearms are more like Olive than Popeye. LOL

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 7:16 Quote
JasonGoss wrote:

LOL Bike shifting well and never changed cables myself. in fact different bike shops and mechanics fitting cable.

Tends to snap after a down hill section and about to change from smallest cog. Local bike mechanics say i am the only person they know who keeps doing this. My forearms are more like Olive than Popeye. LOL

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 9:16 Quote
Well that's interesting. I'm curious as well as I'm not a mechanic, but wrench on almost all of my repairs and maintenance. 2-3 month cycles seems really low for cable stretch and ultimately failure.

Which drivetrain combo are you running?

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 12:36 Quote
What model derailleur?

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 12:44 Quote
I AM RUNNING 1 x 10. Sunrace 11-42 cassette shimano Deore shadow plus derailleur, 32 tooth chainring and shimano zee shifter . It is very worn and due an upgrade . This drivetrain is fitted to a Santa Cruz heckler 2015.

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 14:17 Quote
Got a picture? I used to have this problem and it turned out to be the outer casing of the cable between the derailleur and the frame was too long and bending the cable in a way that was wearing it down at the point the cable enters the derailleur.

Does it brake in the same place every time, if so, where?

The other thing to watch out for is all cables are not created equal, if your mechanics are using a shitty off brand cable it might be breaking quicker. If I used shitty cables often I would only get a month out of them, but the shimano ones I would get 3 or so with the problem above.

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 15:53 Quote
Snaps above the clamp on the derailleur same place every time. This has happened with shimano cables and on different bikes eg on my Orange 5. And Kona Cadabra. Have you managed to cure the problem with your bike ? Only thing I can think that might be happening is during full suspension that my outer cable might be to short and placing to much pressure on my cable . Will try and put pictures on the next few days

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 20:45 Quote
ntd14 wrote:
Got a picture? I used to have this problem and it turned out to be the outer casing of the cable between the derailleur and the frame was too long and bending the cable in a way that was wearing it down at the point the cable enters the derailleur.

Does it brake in the same place every time, if so, where?

The other thing to watch out for is all cables are not created equal, if your mechanics are using a shitty off brand cable it might be breaking quicker. If I used shitty cables often I would only get a month out of them, but the shimano ones I would get 3 or so with the problem above.

Definitely could see insuffiecient cable housing length could be an issue creating a hard turn. Easy enough to fix if that turns out to be the case.

Posted: Jan 13, 2018 at 3:37 Quote
I have snapped 3 rear shifter cables in the last 9 months on my DH bike ,My guess is sudden friction or binding of cable on sudden impacts , broke twice near the derailleur and once inside the cable housing and not visible , 15 dollar fix but still a hassle , I would also like to know a solution

Posted: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:10 Quote
Yeah, fixed mine by replacing the housing. When I pulled it out there was heaps of ware in the housing where the cable had been rubbing. Mine was breaking consistently where the housing ends at the derailleur though.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 18:26 Quote
Melv40 wrote:
I AM RUNNING 1 x 10. Sunrace 11-42 cassette shimano Deore shadow plus derailleur, 32 tooth chainring and shimano zee shifter . It is very worn and due an upgrade . This drivetrain is fitted to a Santa Cruz heckler 2015.

I run that EXACT drive chain set up. I’ve have zero problems If this happens to you a lot regardless of the bike or shop set up I would guess the problem might be ride habits maybe? You shift under load? I’m puzzled as well here

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 6:44 Quote
I am extra careful when changing gear as i have had this problem for a while. I always back off the power when changing gear.
I have had a go of changing the gear cable myself and found it quite easy really. I let all the air out of my rear shock and compressed the suspension fully down to make sure i have enough outer cable without it being tugged.

I also pulled some outer cable towards the derailleur to have more of a natural loop.

hopefully this might help

Posted: Mar 28, 2018 at 3:04 Quote
From experience I would agree that it’s sounds like your cable is short, replace and make sure there is sufficient slack to take harder hits through your rear travel.

Make sure that the cable isn’t holding your rear swing arm up by even a few mm’s

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015021
Mobile Version of Website