Snapped gear cable

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Snapped gear cable
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 at 5:08 Quote
Have you examined the cable housing and any frame bits that contact the housing? I wonder if a sharp housing edge or sharp bit on the frame or derailleur where the housing ends could be scraping the cable.

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 16:14 Quote
any updates on this? I am currently going through this problem. Have snapped 3 cables in the last 2 weeks right where you secure the cable in place on the derailluer (shimano slx). Riding at the bike park so in the smallest (harderst) cogs most of the time.

Posted: Dec 26, 2021 at 13:19 Quote
Late to this party….but my inners just keep breaking at the rear der clamp. At bike park not trail (so 2 smallest cogs and full hit all day), three consecutive bikes, Shimano mechs. So I’ve had LBS set it up instead of me, checked cable and outer tension with full travel, replaced SLX and XT with a Zee drivetrain….but still happening!? Only luck when I swapped in AXS from the trail bike (recommended if you don’t want to snap cables!) or ran a single speed setup (got an old Altus, 2 jockey chain tensioner - recommended if you don’t want to snap cables!) It’s just annoying…cables are cheap and I can always finish my runs stuck in top gear…but can’t understand what I’m doing wrong.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2022 at 6:46 Quote
Hi, having the same problem on a 11sp XT derailleur. It seems to me that the cable wears just before the clamp plate / bolt. Imo it is a bad design because the cable runs a short distance over a sort of guide. Mine breaks often after a week Holidays in the mountains with a lot of down hill, not so much with regular trail riding. So it seems the slapping of the derailleur causes the problem, not the shifting. It causes the cable to wear on the guide before the clamp bolt. My sons older 11 sp SLX derailleur has the cable running directly from the cable exit to the clamp and does not suffer from this problem. I am thinking of filing out the guide so it does not touch the cable anymore. Any other suggestions?

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 15:54 Quote
I had this problem when I rode park on my do-it-all bike, serviced the rear shock, problem disappeared.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 23:18 Quote
I have noticed that the cable enters the clamp through a narrow slot. When shifted, the cable is bent sharply at the entrance to this slot- bent one way in the small cogs and the other way in the large cogs. This constant flexing at one particular point weakens the cable until it breaks. There are sharp corners on the cable clamp slot. The cable needs a smooth, slightly curved surface to work against instead of sharp corners to lessen the stress on the cable. Modifying the slot entrance to some degree may help a lot, or only a little. Later Shimano derailleurs have such a guide that is curved in both directions, and the broken cable problem has disappeared.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011113
Mobile Version of Website