Internal dropper routing help on the Fuji Auric

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Internal dropper routing help on the Fuji Auric
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 17:57 Quote
Hi, If anybody has a fuji auric then I could do with some help- I'm trying to put an internal dropper in, but there is no port in the frame. I tried going through the BB, but it turns out that it is sealed off from the rest of the frame, like a tube the BB slide into. There is a small hole above the BB (on the inside), but I don't know if the cable can get around that. It is a 2017 fuji auric 3.7. Anyone with that bike if you could, please tell me how the cable routing works then that would be awesome, but any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 4:33 Quote
jamesashton2 wrote:
Hi, If anybody has a fuji auric then I could do with some help- I'm trying to put an internal dropper in, but there is no port in the frame. I tried going through the BB, but it turns out that it is sealed off from the rest of the frame, like a tube the BB slide into. There is a small hole above the BB (on the inside), but I don't know if the cable can get around that. It is a 2017 fuji auric 3.7. Anyone with that bike if you could, please tell me how the cable routing works then that would be awesome, but any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You’re prolly gonna need an externally routed dropper

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 4:54 Quote
All the other models of your bike come with an internally routed dropper as standard, so it must be do-able. Do you know anyone who owns one? Perhaps a nearby bike shop has one? If so go take a look, see how its done.

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 8:29 Quote
stumpymidget wrote:
All the other models of your bike come with an internally routed dropper as standard, so it must be do-able. Do you know anyone who owns one? Perhaps a nearby bike shop has one? If so go take a look, see how its done.

I haven't found an auric with a dropper near me, but as you said, some other models do come with one standard so there must be a way.

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 16:00 Quote
jamesashton2 wrote:
stumpymidget wrote:

I haven't found an auric with a dropper near me, but as you said, some other models do come with one standard so there must be a way.

Maybe it’s through the bottom bracket like you mentioned, but I wonder if your frame isn’t set up for it.

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 18:57 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
jamesashton2 wrote:
stumpymidget wrote:

Maybe it’s through the bottom bracket like you mentioned, but I wonder if your frame isn’t set up for it.

I actually called fuji today and took it down to my lbs and whatever, the issue is that it is a screw in the bottom bracket, with a sealed steel shell sealing it off from the rest of the frame, so there is no way to put a cable through as it is. If I were to put a cable through, I would have to take this shell out, and then replace it with a press fit BB. I don't know if that's possible, but the 2018 version of the auric comes with a press fit as standard, so it might be possible to do that. What do you guys think? Is it worth dropping 20-30 USD in order to have an internal dropper post?

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 22:28 Quote
jamesashton2 wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
jamesashton2 wrote:

I actually called fuji today and took it down to my lbs and whatever, the issue is that it is a screw in the bottom bracket, with a sealed steel shell sealing it off from the rest of the frame, so there is no way to put a cable through as it is. If I were to put a cable through, I would have to take this shell out, and then replace it with a press fit BB. I don't know if that's possible, but the 2018 version of the auric comes with a press fit as standard, so it might be possible to do that. What do you guys think? Is it worth dropping 20-30 USD in order to have an internal dropper post?

Take this with a grain of salt, but this is what I would do if it were my bike and just personal preference. Honestly, I wouldn't mess with the BB...

What I would do is drop the front derailleur and do a single chainring conversion and go 1x. That also frees up the hole in the downtube from your internal front derailleur cable. Also, you may already have a plugged hole on the opposite side of the downtube, I noticed the other models had it. Then I'd drill a hole in front side of the seat tube between the linkage mount and the BB. Either way it could be done without going to a 1x setup.

Your routing would be similar to that of a hardtail coming out of the seat tube and going back into the downtube, but without actually going around the BB. Also, obviously you'd be bypassing the BB with a less agressive turn.

Im sure you could contact fuji and get an extra plastic/rubber insert for the frame if you can manage to drill out the same size hole as the others already in the frame.

Again, this is what I would do. Your bike bud!

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 22:49 Quote
JasonGoss wrote:
jamesashton2 wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

Take this with a grain of salt, but this is what I would do if it were my bike and just personal preference. Honestly, I wouldn't mess with the BB...

What I would do is drop the front derailleur and do a single chainring conversion and go 1x. That also frees up the hole in the downtube from your internal front derailleur cable. Then I'd drill a hole in front side of the seat tube between the linkage mount and the BB.

Your routing would be similar to that of a hardtail coming out of the seat tube and going back into the downtube, but without actually going around the BB. Also, obviously you'd be bypassing the BB with a less agressive turn.

Im sure you could contact fuji and get an extra plastic/rubber insert for the frame if you can manage to drill out the same size hole as the others already in the frame.

Yeah, thank you, I probably would do that but drilling a hole would void the warranty. I actually just spent the last few hours trying to fish it around, and I actually got it, full internal. It went down the seat tube, through a small gap in between the BB shell and the frame, pulled it into the downtube with like a coat hanger hook type thing, and then pushed it up to the port near the headtube. Thank you though, that is a good idea, as it would get the job done, but there is the problem with the warranty. Thank you though

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 22:58 Quote
Cool glad you got it. And yes it would void warranty.

Posted: Jan 13, 2018 at 6:13 Quote
Drilling the frame doesn't void the warranty with some bike brands, Liteville even showed owners how and where to drill the frame for a dropper. Ragley even showed me where to drill my Blue Pig frame, but then again that is steel. Check with your manufacturer if you consider drilling.

Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 13:45 Quote
This is a bit late for the main post; However I thought I’d share how I routed my cable through the frame on my 2018 Auric. I used a shop vac and yarn. I fed some yarn through one of the 4 available holes on the down tube by the BB and placed a shop vac on the seat tube. The vacuum pulled the yarn through instantly. Then I taped the housing to the yarn and fed it through. Hope this helps someone else down the road

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010625
Mobile Version of Website