Budget DH Helmet

PB Forum :: Downhill
Budget DH Helmet
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 15:15 Quote
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a new full-face helmet right now and I can't find any good looking used ones, so I want a good budget one. The ones that look the most interesting to me are the Troy Lee D2, the Giro Disciple, and the Bell Transfer-9. I could possibly get a Fox Proframe or a Troy Lee D3 Composite. What are your thoughts on these?

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 15:40 Quote
When I use to roadrace motorcycles, new guys would ask about the same question. My and other experienced racers would always give the same answer. How much is your head worth.? Get the best helmet you can afford. Sometimes you may have forgo the looks, and go for quality, and the best protection.

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 16:41 Quote
661 has quite affordable helmets, including some on sale. On the BuySell section, you can find helmets that are being resold due to fitting, they should also be decently cheap. Troy Lee Designs has helmet sales if I remember correctly, however they will still not be as cheap as the one mentioned above.

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 0:10 Quote
I've always used the O'neal Fury FF helmets. They are comfortable, look cool and the fid lock system is ace!! I've also tested them by hitting the deck and trees at speed and come out ok. The brilliant thing: they are cheap enough to replace after a crash. If I'm not mistaken, all helmets must meet a minimum safety requirement and you then pay more for extra features such as mips, branding, venting etc. There is a worrying trend of riders forking out loads of money to get the very best helmet, like a carbon Troy Lee etc. The problem is, they have a big crash, smash their head but don't replace their helmet. Why? Because they can't afford to. I bet there are hundreds of people out there riding around with cool, expensive helmets that are structurally compromised and dangerous.
Like I said, the Fury is a very nice helmet. Don't get the Backflip though, it is a wierd shape, IMO.

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 at 10:37 Quote
What is the quality of 661 helmets? Im new to DH and Im wondering the differences between some of these price points. When I worked in hockey sales the tech could be old or 'sub par' but were hardly warranted of the vast differences in price. 661 full faces are barely more money then their knee pads... so are they awesome knee pads or cheap helmets?

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 at 15:19 Quote
If you can´t spend a lot of money i recommend the Transfer 9. You can often get the last year´s designs for less money, and it is as safe and comfortable as most more expensive helmets

Don´t get an O`Neal or 661, most of their helmets have an outer shell made of ABS plastic, you want at least a Shell made out of fiberglass or something similar.

I wore a Transfer 9 with a neckbrace in a horrible Crash at a race last year. I hit the ground with the top of my head first and it pressed my chinbar onto the front of my neckbrace. I kept lying on the floor with 6 broken Vertebrae in the chest portion of my spine, The helmet gave out just a tiny bit at the sides, im sure if it was made of a lesser material it would have just cracked the Shell.I definitely also had some sort of concussion in that crash, but since i was put on massive painkillers i cant judge how bad it really was.

In a small Crash some years ago i wore a plastic 661, which also had much less EPS Foam and i already got a concussion from a relatively light Impact.

I now wear a Composite D3, but as far as i can tell, the Transfer 9 is not a lesser helmet than the D3, apart from the bling Smile

So don´t get a 661 or something similar, as the Transfer 9 can be had for Little money if you get a lucky deal.

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 at 16:31 Quote
I just got a new 100% status, absolutely love it. Amazon had it on sale for 149$ not sure if it’s still that price though

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 at 1:49 Quote
I can also vouch for the transfer-9, also headplanted the floor with it and broke my back, head was fine though.
I want to try the giro disciple next, but yeah I think some of the cheaper 661/7 idp ones aren't even properly dh certified so I would avoid them if you can.

Posted: Feb 24, 2018 at 8:26 Quote
Cant go wrong with any of the big brands. 100%, Bell, Shoei, TLD, 6D. Find last years model on clearance and you can get a nice helmet for a good price. Helmets are important. I like the MIPS system a lot of newer helmets are coming out with now

Posted: Feb 24, 2018 at 9:40 Quote
The fly racing default, 661 reset, and t.h.e industries helmets sell for a good price

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 4:44 Quote
Samplidude wrote:
If you can´t spend a lot of money i recommend the Transfer 9. You can often get the last year´s designs for less money, and it is as safe and comfortable as most more expensive helmets

Don´t get an O`Neal or 661, most of their helmets have an outer shell made of ABS plastic, you want at least a Shell made out of fiberglass or something similar.

I wore a Transfer 9 with a neckbrace in a horrible Crash at a race last year. I hit the ground with the top of my head first and it pressed my chinbar onto the front of my neckbrace. I kept lying on the floor with 6 broken Vertebrae in the chest portion of my spine, The helmet gave out just a tiny bit at the sides, im sure if it was made of a lesser material it would have just cracked the Shell.I definitely also had some sort of concussion in that crash, but since i was put on massive painkillers i cant judge how bad it really was.

In a small Crash some years ago i wore a plastic 661, which also had much less EPS Foam and i already got a concussion from a relatively light Impact.

I now wear a Composite D3, but as far as i can tell, the Transfer 9 is not a lesser helmet than the D3, apart from the bling Smile

So don´t get a 661 or something similar, as the Transfer 9 can be had for Little money if you get a lucky deal.

I agree about buying a nicer helmet, it's worth it.
I have a bell and it's pretty decent.

In regards to the concussion though. Concussions are caused by your brain hitting your skull, or something like that. Basically, no matter how nice the helmet is, you will still get a concussion if your head is going 30mph then stops immediately.
That's why football players will always suffer from concussion syndromes, because helmets won't always prevent concussions.

However, in regards to actually protecting your skull and face, the extra money is worth it. I've broken a few helmets in my life, and I would much rather spend more money on gear than risk getting a permanent injury.
Crashing is a huge risk in the sport, it's dumb to cheap out on protective equipment.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 6:38 Quote
The giro disciple is cheaper than all of its other mips counter parts.
In the 400 ranger rather than 600 range.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 8:49 Quote
I bought 2 brand new 661 comp helmets for $50 a piece. One from their site, and another from Amazon.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.035959
Mobile Version of Website