GT fury rear wheel bearing replacement (blind bearing puller?/removable?)

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
GT fury rear wheel bearing replacement (blind bearing puller?/removable?)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 21:24 Quote
I have a 2012 GT fury.

Looking to change the rear wheel bearings but I'm not sure they can be removed. The left and right bearing inner diameter face seem to be flush with a collet that prevents a blind bearing puller tool from being seated (although I haven't tried but it looks like there is minimal gap to engage).

Just wondering if anyone can provide their expertise or experience.

photo

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 at 22:05 Quote
Anyone have experience with pulling bearings similar to this?

Posted: Jan 20, 2018 at 0:25 Quote
If having a hard time taking it out, you could probably stick it in the freezer overnight. It might shrink just enough to use a bearing tool, if man put it in, man can take it out.

Posted: Jan 20, 2018 at 21:46 Quote
yogegoy wrote:
If having a hard time taking it out, you could probably stick it in the freezer overnight. It might shrink just enough to use a bearing tool, if man put it in, man can take it out.

Good idea thank!, I just need to find a freezer that can fir the whole wheel lol, I think my inlaws might have a deep freeze....or... just thought of this..... a refrigerant propellant from an aerosol spray can!!!!

... thought of another..... pack some dry ice over it.... or Liq N2 from the university!!

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 17:32 Quote
Or go to a local Fry's Electronics (if you have one) and buy Cold Shot in a can.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 at 20:14 Quote
yogegoy wrote:
Or go to a local Fry's Electronics (if you have one) and buy Cold Shot in a can.

I think the freeze method only works well for placing the bearing, since you can have the hub hotter than the frozen bearing. I'm not sure it will work or benefit pulling the bearing since the hub and bearing will be the same temperature....

Anyways I have a bearing puller on order to find out if if can be done...

Posted: Feb 4, 2018 at 19:21 Quote
I purchased a blind bearing puller.

15mm collet pulls the bearing just fine.

There is a shaft (tube) that sits flush with the ID of the bearing and against the inner portion of the inner race, not sure what for but looks like it's for spacing(although the hub shoulder would provide this too) and ease of axle insertion perhaps.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011809
Mobile Version of Website