Specialized Pitch Comp Hardtail Upgrades

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized Pitch Comp Hardtail Upgrades
Posted: Mar 7, 2019 at 4:36 Quote
Nice. Post some pics up when you are done.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 7:43 Quote
ShakeNShred wrote:
Great Thread, folks! I have a 2015 Pitch Comp that is my backup bike. I'm looking to convert it to a 1X11 setup using the SRAM 11-speed cassette I took off my Intense, with the clutched rear derailleur and shifter. So it looks like I'll need a 104 BCD chain ring and that's about it? I have the 11 speed chain needed. Planned upgrades:

1. Convert to 1X11
2. Add dropper post
3. Perhaps upgrade brakes...I have a set of Shimano M506s off the Spider, but I'm not sure they're that much better than the Aurigas currently on the Pitch....

It already has a Rockshox 30 fork on the front, since the old Suntour crapped the bed. Just need to service the lower legs soon.

OK, did the last thing first. Since my Intense now has Magura MT Trail brakes, I moved the Shimano M506s over to the Pitch. Front was a perfect fit (160mm rotor), but the rear required cable cutting. SO much nicer feel to the Shimanos. The Tektros were always squishy, even after bleeds. Need to do a 180mm on the front, but next will be a 1x11 conversion. That'll take some time.
photo
photo

Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 12:47 Quote
Hey!
I just done full service to my PITCH Smile
And i think its ready for trails now...
added some new photos in my profile.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 16:48 Quote
So I've hit a road block in converting this to a 1 x 11. The 11-speed cassette I have is A) SRAM, and B) too tall for the Shimano freehub. Any recommendations for a new one? I don't want to break the bank on this conversion...

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 13:58 Quote
eplanajr wrote:
For a 1x, there is no need for new cranks or a bottom bracket. Just a nw chainring. 104 BCD, in my case a Raceface.

Mine is driven by a Shimano Zee Shifter and an SLX RD with a 11-40 10 Speed cassette.

Which Raceface ring is that?

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 16:23 Quote
And here she is right now. Almost down to frame only. Time to start ordering parts and putting her back together.

My Pitch Comp undergoing a renovation and upgrades. Shimano M506 brakes already on
My Pitch Comp undergoing a renovation and upgrades. Shimano M506 brakes already on

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2019 at 21:25 Quote
ShakeNShred wrote:
eplanajr wrote:
For a 1x, there is no need for new cranks or a bottom bracket. Just a nw chainring. 104 BCD, in my case a Raceface.

Mine is driven by a Shimano Zee Shifter and an SLX RD with a 11-40 10 Speed cassette.

Which Raceface ring is that?

104 BCD
https://www.jensonusa.com/Race-Face-104-BCD-Narrow-Wide-Chainring

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 17:45 Quote
I have a 2018 pitch and want to switch to a 1x setup but i want keep my factory rims for now mainly to keep cost down i want to get the best setup i can get with these rims any seluggestions would be greatly appreciated

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 0:43 Quote
Subway3000 wrote:
I have a 2018 pitch and want to switch to a 1x setup but i want keep my factory rims for now mainly to keep cost down i want to get the best setup i can get with these rims any seluggestions would be greatly appreciated
Look my set up. Wink i have stock rims and have 1x set up. just buy raceface narrow/wide ring. i have 34t and its works fine for me. Smile

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 14:04 Quote
Subway3000 wrote:

Here is what I have

New rear drive train. Switched out the heavy and cruddy drive train for a 1x11 setup from Kore North here in Boise. Great job clean setup and rides awesome

Hope this helps. Its a remarkable difference. I have changed everything but the frame over the past 2 years but its incredible.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 18:47 Quote
Lundy208 wrote:
kaihannah wrote:
Hi There, does anyone know what i would need to upgrade my pitch to a 1x11 setup? thanks

New bottom bracket
New cranks
New rear derailleur
New chain
New rear cassette

All I did for it was get an angle grinder to the front cogs(smallest and largest) and put a chain guide on, works a charm

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2019 at 10:01 Quote
Well, I'm almost done with this baby! I have the SRAM NX 1x11 drivetrain on there, with a OneUp 34T narrow-wide oval chainring up front. I had an aftermarket (WTB) rim with an aftermarket freehub on the rear, and could not convert it to 11 speed, so in my most expensive part of this conversion so far, I bought a new WTB with an 11-speed freehub at ($140) and it works like a charm. I did that wheel up with Stans Tubeless rim tape and it is now tubeless, running a Maxxis Hi Roller II. The Shimano M506s off my Intense are on, and working great. I had to replace the bottom bracket because the stock one was beat to hell. At this point, all that remains is listed here:

1. Convert front tire to tubeless
2. Add dropper post
3. Get adapter and put a 180mm rotor up front.
4. Better grips

So far, this is what I've spent:

New rear rim: $140
New bottom bracket: $12
OneUp Chainring: $47
11 speed chain: $14
Tools I didn't have: ~$50

photo
photo
photo

It took me awhile to figure out two things:

1. How to mount a tire on an Asymmetrical rim. (Go wide side first)
2. How to route the cable for the NX Derailleur (YouTube has a vid)

But I took her out just now and damn. Shifts are buttery. Braking is much improved. It's lighter and the cockpit is cleaner without all those added gears. I could take it out and ride it today if I needed to. A few more items and this thing will be ready for primetime. Smile

Not bad for using almost completely used parts.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 20:35 Quote
ShakeNShred wrote:
Well, I'm almost done with this baby! I have the SRAM NX 1x11 drivetrain on there, with a OneUp 34T narrow-wide oval chainring up front. I had an aftermarket (WTB) rim with an aftermarket freehub on the rear, and could not convert it to 11 speed, so in my most expensive part of this conversion so far, I bought a new WTB with an 11-speed freehub at ($140) and it works like a charm. I did that wheel up with Stans Tubeless rim tape and it is now tubeless, running a Maxxis Hi Roller II. The Shimano M506s off my Intense are on, and working great. I had to replace the bottom bracket because the stock one was beat to hell. At this point, all that remains is listed here:

1. Convert front tire to tubeless
2. Add dropper post
3. Get adapter and put a 180mm rotor up front.
4. Better grips

So far, this is what I've spent:

New rear rim: $140
New bottom bracket: $12
OneUp Chainring: $47
11 speed chain: $14
Tools I didn't have: ~$50

photo
photo
photo

It took me awhile to figure out two things:

1. How to mount a tire on an Asymmetrical rim. (Go wide side first)
2. How to route the cable for the NX Derailleur (YouTube has a vid)

But I took her out just now and damn. Shifts are buttery. Braking is much improved. It's lighter and the cockpit is cleaner without all those added gears. I could take it out and ride it today if I needed to. A few more items and this thing will be ready for primetime. Smile

Not bad for using almost completely used parts.

That's a sweet project. I love mine too. Such an economical bike with so much potential.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 0:25 Quote
I have pitch sport 2016. I have sold my other bike NS surge, and now i have only pitch. It is converted to single speed and it is awseome, i just put new brakes on it to replace that bad tektros, chepasest i could find for a set was alivio mt400 at lbs, which are suprisingley good and powerfull, stock cranks are okay and will stay on the bike, just need a new bb, fork is sountour but i'm thinking to get salsa cromoto rigid fork, anyone have done this conversion yet? Pitch on a rigid fork?

Posted: May 5, 2019 at 10:07 Quote
Has anyone installed a dropper post? If so, external or internal and what size? Thanks!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.189520
Mobile Version of Website