Scout 275 as a DJ commuter?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Scout 275 as a DJ commuter?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 15:48 Quote
Hi all, looking at changing out the quiver for an enduro bike and an all rounder hardtail.

My question is: is there a significant difference between a dirt jumper and and all rounder hardtail? I understand the longer reach may be less manuverable in the air and mtb tires are slower, but will that make a real world difference aka seat getting in the way?

Looking into a 2018 nukeproof scout 275 but open to options. Will be using the hardtail for a 5km commute daily, dirt jumps through the winter and occasional light trail riding. Current experience on dirt jumps is minimal just mucking around on my full sus trying to learn whips.

Advice / comments appreciated!

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 16:50 Quote
Get yourself a dedicated DJ bike for DJing.
Keep the Scout as a get a rounder, you'll be much happier.

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 16:58 Quote
Should have mentioned I'm living in a pretty small apartment so limited to two bikes enduro and one other. I take it it's a bigger compromise than I thought?

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 18, 2018 at 7:21 Quote
Dropbear wrote:
Should have mentioned I'm living in a pretty small apartment so limited to two bikes enduro and one other. I take it it's a bigger compromise than I thought?

there are plenty of people who bring their enduro bike to the jumps. it works. if you ride really tight transitions, you will notice it, but if you are just screwing around on whatever, than an enduro bike works. djs are worth owning because they are really fun but by no means necessary

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 5:26 Quote
Dropbear wrote:
Hi all, looking at changing out the quiver for an enduro bike and an all rounder hardtail.

My question is: is there a significant difference between a dirt jumper and and all rounder hardtail? I understand the longer reach may be less manuverable in the air and mtb tires are slower, but will that make a real world difference aka seat getting in the way?

Looking into a 2018 nukeproof scout 275 but open to options. Will be using the hardtail for a 5km commute daily, dirt jumps through the winter and occasional light trail riding. Current experience on dirt jumps is minimal just mucking around on my full sus trying to learn whips.

Advice / comments appreciated!

I think the seat getting in the way or not depends on how tall you are and what frame size you get. I picked up an NS Surge Evo for sort of an all-around hard tail. I'm 6'1" and I can definitely get the seat low enough to jump on the NS (and not even necessarily slammed).

And although it's "jumpable," I would not replace my DJ with it. I also don't think it's the greatest xc/trail bike, as far as keeping up with my XC friends. So, although I do like it, I think it's less of a "best of both worlds" and more of a "not great for either." On paper, the differences don't look huge. Top tube a little longer, head angle a little slacker, bb a little lower relative to axle-level, chainstays a little longer, more fork travel (130mm vs 80mm)... but taken all together, it does feel different. A dedicated DJ bike is worth it. And if you ride trails with fast XC/AM guys, then a dedicated trail bike is worth it.

Black Market MOB
photo

NS Surge Evo
photo

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009223
Mobile Version of Website