Rockshox Reverb seized in Santa Cruz Heckler Frame. Any ideas?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Rockshox Reverb seized in Santa Cruz Heckler Frame. Any ideas?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 11:40 Quote
My dropper has seized in my Frame and I’m struggling to remove it. Anyone had any experience and could point me in the right direction?

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 11:48 Quote
Wd40, 5 times a day, for a week.

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 12:45 Quote
Did it come free after that?

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 13:06 Quote
Are there bottle cage mounts on the seat tube? If there are turn the bike upside down and squirt some diesel through the bolt hole with a syringe. 5ml should be plenty. Or wd40. Wd40 stands for water displacement though and is not nearly as good at un-seizing things as people think. If there's no bottle cage mounts can you get the bottom bracket out and get in that way?

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 13:18 Quote
No bottle cage mounts I’m afraid, I’m not sure if I can get at the bottom bracket I’ll have a look! If not, are there any other good ways to get at it?

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 13:23 Quote
09 Santa Cruz heckler

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 13:31 Quote
Lay it down on it's side and keep adding wd40 or diesel to the seatpost/frame join. I can't see another way of getting fluid in there without removing the BB. Be patient. When you think it's got some fluid around the seize bounce on the saddle a bit with the clamp loose.

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 13:32 Quote
Thanks! I’ll give that a go

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 13:35 Quote
Maybe soaking a rag in diesel, wrap it around the joint and leave it for a couple of days might work.

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 14:24 Quote
Would that do any damage to the paint?

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 22:23 Quote
I can't see how. It's not like petrol. I had a 16yo diesel car that regularly had spill under the filler and no sign of damage to the clear coat. If there's chips in the paint I guess it could get under but I doubt it. If your uneasy then keep the rag zip tied to the seatpost further up and let it run down from there.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 7:09 Quote
Gibbo1505 wrote:
My dropper has seized in my Frame and I’m struggling to remove it. Anyone had any experience and could point me in the right direction?

Hey. Did you ever solve this. I have a reverb jammed also and looking to see how people got things lose

Thanks

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 3:40 Quote
andrewlunt wrote:
Gibbo1505 wrote:

Hey. Did you ever solve this. I have a reverb jammed also and looking to see how people got things lose

Thanks

Yeh, in the end it was a case of getting a pair of vice grips and a rag. Wrap the rag round and clamp the vice grips on and just twist and turn as hard as you can and eventually it’ll come free. Ideally have one person hold the bike whilst you do it.

Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 19:55 Quote
I think two choices:

Big ass pipe wrench. Get a buddy to stabilize the frame.

Pull the wheels and fork, clamp the post in a vise, use frame as a lever.

Either way probably leads to a new dropper.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006924
Mobile Version of Website