Worth it?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 7:55 Quote
Do you guys think it's worth getting a street trials bike? I do trials on my 160/160mm travel enduro bike every day, and wanted an opinion if getting a street trials bike is worth it? I have been looking at the inspired flow because of the price, I am in high school so it will be a few months till I can buy one but would it be worth making the jump to a street trials bike? I'm not looking to ride comp, just street trials with a wheel size of 24in or 26in. Do you guys have any suggestions on bikes? Preferably around $500 USD new and available in the U.S. Can be pushed up to around $700 USD. So what are some good street trials bikes, with seats and all that can be done on a budget? If not that, do you know of like a street frame that is compatible with a seat, 24 or 26 that is around $200 USD that I can build up by my self to fit my budget? And if I do build up a frame, what do I need to look out for cause I know on some of the budget frames they don't come with a lot of info on what the frame is compatible with, like threaded BB vs Press fit. So if anyone can give me hand that would be much appreciated, and if it would be cheaper to build one up, what suggestions do you guys have for budget parts?
Thanks,
James

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 0:34 Quote
Yes! I am a good bit older then you and have recently regained an interest in trials. If I could go back and work at it starting at high school age maybe I would be somewhere with it by now! I practiced some of the skills quite a bit back in my college days but I only ever had my cross country hardtail to work with. Probably my main regret with it now is not finding a way to put together a trials rig back in those days when I actually had the time to mess around and ride a lot.

Take anything I have to say with a grain of salt because I would still consider myself a beginner level trials rider but I do think the sport and skills are awesome and don't receive enough attention these days so maybe I can at least pass on what I have learned so far.

I think you might have a bit of a problem putting something together completely within your budget, I'd say your best bet is to follow the buy sell forum and ebay and watch for a complete bike that is decent. Right now here on the buy sell forum is an Echo ES that looks like it might work for your needs. If you do decide to build and can budget for all the components I would look hard into a frame from marinobike.com. I have recently gone through the same thing and wound up building on a used frame that in retrospect may not be ideal for trials and what I want to do but I'll make do for now. If I could do it over again I would order a frame from Marino and go from there. They are steel, built to the geometry you spec and it looks like they cost much less than an Inspired!

As far as the build on a budget I would shop ebay for a BB7 front and go with a good V brake setup for the rear. I am currently using old Deore V brake arms with a Salsa booster, TNN ADM pads and they hold pretty well on my old ground rim. For the drivetrain I would find a Shimano hollowtech triple crankset and mount a 22t ring and a 104bcd bashguard like the inspired.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 8:07 Quote
Thanks! Do you know if Marino bikes do street trials frames with seats, discs front and rear and all? I'm not looking to get into pure trials, just street, and also I just looked on Marino bikes and it's a little confusing so if you have any tips on their website that would be much appreciated. Thanks

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 12:30 Quote
Marino can build you a streettrials frame similar to an Inspired for example. You can spec the geo you want. And you can also get a matching fork. Keep in mind that building a bike from scratch can be expensive Wink

Also worth mentioning is that you have to wait for a Marino a long time. I waited 9 months on mine to be made and shipped to the Netherlands...

I say go for the inspired flow. Great bike for a beginner and you can easily upgrade parts over time.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 14:10 Quote
Yeah, I wouldn't get a Marino for my first trials bike. They are custom, so if you don't know what you want / are looking for it isn't best. Also, plan on waiting about 4-6 months to get it in person. (I have three frames from him).

If you can't dish out the money for an inspired. Some of the new Czar street trials bikes are fairly affordable and a good first bike.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 7:27 Quote
Yeah, that's a good point I have no idea what I would want in a custom frame. And I will also take a look at czar cause I have heard of them and they seem preetty great, Thanks

Posted: Feb 17, 2018 at 12:04 Quote
The Inspired Flow does look like a good deal. I am wishing they still made a 26" version.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016226
Mobile Version of Website