Country/Tar & ChipStone Roads/Railroad Tracks - Road or Hybrid?

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Country/Tar & ChipStone Roads/Railroad Tracks - Road or Hybrid?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 8:34 Quote
I've been itching to get into a road bike for a long time, and I'd like to finally pull the trigger this spring. The plan is to find something used off of the BuySell here or on Kijiji. (other recommendations will be considered)

I have owned a Giant Mountain Bike for years, and I enjoy taking that to the trails, but want something I can just hop on and ride for about 15-30km in the morning or evening without having to pack-up my bike and go to the trails.

Most of the riding I will be doing is on Country back roads consisting of Tar & Chip Stone roads, railroad tracks, rough bridges, and probably some poorly paved roads. I'm a big guy, 6'1 over 200lbs and I'm nervous I'll end up damaging wheels/tires and just having a rough ride. I've been reading about hybrid bikes and they seem to be the best option for me.

My Question: Can I put slightly bigger tires and flat bars on any bike? Is there a certain style bike I should be looking at?
My budget is about $400-$600. If I really enjoy it, I may buy a new bike in a year/two.

Appreciate all your information and expertise! Thanks in advance.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 8:53 Quote
Look to see if you can get a used cyclocross bike. The frames are designed to take a slightly wider tire so you can smooth out some of those rough roads.

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 5:04 Quote
Stevescs wrote:
I've been itching to get into a road bike for a long time, and I'd like to finally pull the trigger this spring. The plan is to find something used off of the BuySell here or on Kijiji. (other recommendations will be considered)

I have owned a Giant Mountain Bike for years, and I enjoy taking that to the trails, but want something I can just hop on and ride for about 15-30km in the morning or evening without having to pack-up my bike and go to the trails.

Most of the riding I will be doing is on Country back roads consisting of Tar & Chip Stone roads, railroad tracks, rough bridges, and probably some poorly paved roads. I'm a big guy, 6'1 over 200lbs and I'm nervous I'll end up damaging wheels/tires and just having a rough ride. I've been reading about hybrid bikes and they seem to be the best option for me.

My Question: Can I put slightly bigger tires and flat bars on any bike? Is there a certain style bike I should be looking at?
My budget is about $400-$600. If I really enjoy it, I may buy a new bike in a year/two.

Appreciate all your information and expertise! Thanks in advance.

You might be able to put bigger tires on a road bike but dont count on it, you can put flat bars on it but would also need shifters and brakes which is going to put the budget up. I would buy a CX bike as recommended or if you really have to have flat bars get a hybrid.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 11:12 Quote
Generally speaking anything marketed as a "hybrid" is gonna be heavy as hell, and not too durable. The kind of thing an old guy straps on the back of an RV... Look for a cyclocross or gravel bike if you want something roadish that's gonna hold up off pavement.

As far as mixing and matching tire widths and bar types, the limiting factor for tire width on most road bikes is gonna be fork/stay clearance, and brake clearance for non-disc brake models. Gravel and cyclocross bikes are usually designed for wider tires (up to about 33mm on cyclocross, and around 45mm for gravel bikes). Putting flat bars on a road bike is often do-able, but not always worth the effort. Switching bars means also switching shifters, brake levers, sometimes brakes as well. I'd be more inclined to put narrow tires on a mountainbike than I would flat bars on a roadbike, but reasonable people will differ in this regard. There's no wrong answer.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009595
Mobile Version of Website