Switchblade or Firebird

PB Forum :: Pivot Cycles
Switchblade or Firebird
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 8:38 Quote
Hey there looking at a switchblade or firebird I've ridden a couple dw-link bikes and loved them. I just moved back to the Midwest (Northern IL) from the PNW and I'm trying to decide what bike would be better for the riding here. There is a bike park (Little Switz) within an hour from me which I'll be riding a lot on weekends but trail riding during the week. I'll be taking some trips out west, Northern Wisconsin and the UP just curious if anyone here can give me a little advice which bike would be better suited. Thanks!

Posted: Feb 11, 2018 at 23:13 Quote
Hitchc21 wrote:
Hey there looking at a switchblade or firebird I've ridden a couple dw-link bikes and loved them. I just moved back to the Midwest (Northern IL) from the PNW and I'm trying to decide what bike would be better for the riding here. There is a bike park (Little Switz) within an hour from me which I'll be riding a lot on weekends but trail riding during the week. I'll be taking some trips out west, Northern Wisconsin and the UP just curious if anyone here can give me a little advice which bike would be better suited. Thanks!

Switchblade for sure. The Firebird is a great bike but from what it sounds like you'll have a lot more fun on the blade in your area.

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 at 23:14 Quote
Loving my SB in BC and Phoenix. It will be perfect for you.

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 20:09 Quote
I fitted a minus 2 degree angle set to my switchblade to slacken the head angle by 2 degrees and it made a big improvement in dcownhill composure and front wheel grip in tight aggressive turns.

The switchblade is a fantastically capable bike with the X2 shock, d ont be afraid to upsize the frame and fit a shorter stem either as the geometry is quite conservative compared to a lot of more recently designed bikes.

Doing either of the above will have no negative impact on climbing.

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 15:48 Quote
I am looking at Demoing a switchblade as I have been offered one at a really good price.
I am also demoing a New Bronson at the week end

pros and cons
Switchblade doesn't have as much slack at the Bronson near 2 deg difference but the Bronson isn't available until end of November.

question, wait until end on November or buy SB after demoing it within the next week.

And what is this angle changer you speak of?

thanks Alan

Posted: Aug 10, 2018 at 5:42 Quote
The Switchblade will do pretty much everything, and it will do it with a lot of fun for you. Eventually, upgrade to carbon wheels and it's a whole new level - fast, nimble, snappy!

The only area where you'll miss having a Firebird is in the bike park when you case big jumps, and/or if you do really really steep gnarly descents.

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 8:54 Quote
Just curious why you haven't considered splitting the difference and get a Mach 6?

I picked up a 2018 Mach6 carbon this spring and I've been riding it on some pretty gnarly rocky / root trails at home, and also took it to the flowy kingdom trails and DH / park at Burke Mtn in VT. It easily handles everything I've been able to throw at it.

Posted: Aug 19, 2018 at 20:45 Quote
The Switchblade is probably better suited to the riding in your immediate vicinity... a better trailbike for the midwest. However.... It was a day in Copper Harbor on my switchblade that convinced me to trade it in for a Firebird. I bought the SB because I thought that 170mm was "too much" travel for the trails I typically ride. Thing is, the FB pedals well and climbs just as well as the SB. There is some weird effect of having an unbalanced front to rear suspension travel that I didn't dig with the switchblade. And.... when you want to go rip at the park the travel and the angles are there with the FB. I thought the SB was going to be this magic bullet, mid-travel, jack-of-all-trades ripper. For me at least, it kinda just left me wanting everywhere.

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 19:10 Quote
Got to agree with Brokenbottle. I own a blade and I demoed a new 29 Firebird in Sedona this weekend. Wow was I impressed. Even for an XL it carved up the tightest turns in the single track and climbed almost as well as the SB . If you intend on taking it to a park , the Firebird is much better than the switchblade . Firebird felt about a pound heavier but no big deal .

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 7:33 Quote
This is way late, but for those that stumble on this...

I'm not sure why anyone would consider a firebird over a mach 6 unless you are really...really racing...like for awards.

The firebird is radio, and while it pedals great...it only pedals great for its size. It's a bike that is big and pivot designed it to bomb on 29s.

The mach 6 is significantly more capable on ascents than the firebird, especially if u upgrade to a tighter stem. Imo, the 2017 mach 6 is the perfect bike, IF IF IF you need a bike that can also ride parks, for which the mach 6 can handle any.

I've never ridden the switchblade, but the 429 is a nasty ass race bike, that can also handle some decent size hucks.

Peace

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 19:17 Quote
JCHILLTOPPERS wrote:
This is way late, but for those that stumble on this...

I'm not sure why anyone would consider a firebird over a mach 6 unless you are really...really racing...like for awards.

The firebird is radio, and while it pedals great...it only pedals great for its size. It's a bike that is big and pivot designed it to bomb on 29s.

The mach 6 is significantly more capable on ascents than the firebird, especially if u upgrade to a tighter stem. Imo, the 2017 mach 6 is the perfect bike, IF IF IF you need a bike that can also ride parks, for which the mach 6 can handle any.

I've never ridden the switchblade, but the 429 is a nasty ass race bike, that can also handle some decent size hucks.

Peace

Have you ridden a fb29? I have a 2017 m6 and a 2019 fb29 and the bird is a better climber.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020873
Mobile Version of Website