Buying my first MTB - thoughts?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Buying my first MTB - thoughts?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 7:55 Quote
Hi All - this is my first post here so hopefully this is in the right place. I was wanting some insight here. Been doing a little research on decent full-suspension bikes that don't cost an arm and a leg (trying to spend $1500 absolute maximum).

I'm about 5'10 with a 32" inseam coming from riding BMX and 26" dirt jump bikes. I think the 27.5" wheel size with a 19" or 20" frame would probably be a good fit for me. I will mostly be riding relatively intermediate level trails here in the Columbus, OH area (lots of roots, some decent drops and climbs).

I think I've narrowed my search down to a few bikes:

Fuji Reveal 1.3 ($900 right now)
Fuji Reveal 1.1 ($1100 right now)
Marin Hawk Hill (approx. $1500 right now)

Here are my main questions:

How do the components of the FUJI 1.3 stack up to the 1.1? Are they worth the extra $200?
Do you all think that 140mm of suspension travel on the Fujis will be too much for int. level trails?

I hear a lot of good things about the Marin bike - is it really worth the $600+ price diff from the Fuji 1.3 or $400+ price diff from the 1.1? I also spend a lot of time Kayaking and motorcycling so I'm probably only going to be out on the MTB a couple times a month at most - again relatively casual riding. That being said, I don't mind spending extra if it's really worth it and I'll benefit.

If there are other bikes in this price range I'm totally missing let me know - I also saw a couple offerings from Diamondback (Recoil & Atroz) but the afore-mentioned bikes seem to get more praise for the same price.

Thanks!

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 12:27 Quote
Why not 2nd hand?

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 13:35 Quote
m1dg3t wrote:
Why not 2nd hand?

Well, I'd like to buy 2nd hand but its not very easy to find what I'm looking for. Also, people generally ask too much for their used stuff to the point where its not really worth going that route (at least that's what I've found around here in my neck of the woods). I'd rather just spend a little more and ensure I have components that I know are new and will last a bit before needing replaced. Most bike stores are also having winter sales at the moment which narrows the gap a bit.

I'm more concerned to know what everyone thinks about the three bikes I listed above because IF I buy new it will probably be one of those three. If I find a nice used bike for less obviously I would consider that too.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 3:32 Quote
I've heard good things about the Marin. Idk about the Fuji. I've personally never liked any of their bikes, but I haven't had the chance to ride any of the more recently built stuff. Obviously it would be hard to justify the price difference between the Hawk Hill and the Reveal 1.1 simply because the Fuji is a sale price. If you shop around though you may be able to purchase the Marin at a discounted price.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008352
Mobile Version of Website