PF Bottom Brackets

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
PF Bottom Brackets
Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 11:58 Quote
Are they any better in Alloy frames?
I know they suck in Carbon!

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 17:20 Quote
They pretty much universally suck. Buy a wheels mfg screw together bb that adapts it to a gxp or shimano style bb. Niner also makes a version of their biocentric bb that does something similar but also lets you change the position of the crank minimally. This is more useful for single speeding. Praxis bb also makes a useful conversion.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 18:58 Quote
I must be blessed or i don't know what because i keep hearing people dissing about press fit bb and i never had any problem. Just changed mine wich was 3 years old. It started to kick a little. Put a new one in myself and everything is awsome ( crabon frame also )

Hopefully it wont get bad after saying all this haha.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 21:51 Quote
I haven’t had any issues with mine either. Completely silent and solid. Alloy frame

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 23:02 Quote
Lots of press fit bb's have had creaking issues, but I kinda get the feeling that it may have something to do with inadequate lubrication during installation. Even still, I like using the bottom brackets made by wheels mfg and hope. Praxis makes a neat bb too, but I don't know if it works with other brands of cranks or not.

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 6:41 Quote
So in fairness they work fine if installed correctly. Most of the continual bad reviews are confirmation bias. It's kind of like someone in a doctor's office sees all their patients being sick all day, so they see everyone as being sick. All day people bring their bikes to shops with creaky pf bb. Then the customer goes online and reads about everyone who has their same problem with little dissenting opinion. I mean how often do we come to this sewer to post our glowing reviews of things.
That said I don't like them based on the difficulty of getting two independent bearings in plastic shells to align near perfectly and remain that way through stress, all with simple hand tools. They cannot be removed and repacked easily to prolong life. They cannot be installed or removed by most home mechanics. There is absolutely no benefit to the end user. They are merely a means to reduce manufacturing cost, nothing more.

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 12:50 Quote
Press fit bottom brackets do not always suck. Depending on frame material and bottom bracket brand/type, you use different grease or retaining compounds to keep them in place and from creaking.

After installing at least 300 press fit bottom brackets in all sorts of frames, I have gathered a favourite style. Wheels Manufacturing makes a the that threads together in the centre, keeping both side of the bb in line with each other. This is the main reason my lots of PF30 bottom brackets creak. This thread together style works great.

If you have BB92 style bottom bracket, this style is not an option. The smaller 41mm diameter bb shell does not leave a lot of options for 30mm crank spindles. Enduro makes a cool double rowed bearing that has been great.

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 15:08 Quote
Hi.

I’ve got a 2012 tues currently running an E13 83mm PF30 set up, BB/crank. However, it’s on its second of this set up and they ain’t cheep. Also, just brought a jeffsy so I’ll be riding the tues less.

So, I want to change the BB and crank to a Shimano set up.

Is there somebody in here who can tell me what BB to purchase please?

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 17:28 Quote
Those of you with good luck;
What are you riding, how old/miles is the Bottom Bracket?

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 20:07 Quote
Bb92 in a carbon troy (2014)

I ride 2-3 days a week from mid-may to late october.can't tell millage. Just changed the stock mid october 2017

I clean my bike after every ride, could that help?

I put the new one in with a homemade pressfit tool and carbon assembly compound

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 20:07 Quote
I have put big mud miles on both a gxp and shimano pressfit BBs without creaking.

Aluminum Kona process BB92. The gxp was OEM, but I used loctite 609 retaining compound on the shimano. All I needed was a couple C clamps and a hammer to install the thing.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 3:19 Quote
rolley44 wrote:
Hi.

I’ve got a 2012 tues currently running an E13 83mm PF30 set up, BB/crank. However, it’s on its second of this set up and they ain’t cheep. Also, just brought a jeffsy so I’ll be riding the tues less.

So, I want to change the BB and crank to a Shimano set up.

Is there somebody in here who can tell me what BB to purchase please?

you can get a sram press in converter that allows a BSA BB to be used in the PF30 shell
they work ok (I have run in exactly the same frame myself and fitted for others)
https://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3477&p=625604&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Bottom%20Brackets&gclid=CjwKCAiAweXTBRAhEiwAmb3Xu421o2BkFnlon2mI16oxtB7OVpU8V7jFyHFSUwiRj7UrXixoFV_6WBoC0IAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 7:40 Quote
lance-h wrote:
Press fit bottom brackets do not always suck. Depending on frame material and bottom bracket brand/type, you use different grease or retaining compounds to keep them in place and from creaking.

After installing at least 300 press fit bottom brackets in all sorts of frames, I have gathered a favourite style. Wheels Manufacturing makes a the that threads together in the centre, keeping both side of the bb in line with each other. This is the main reason my lots of PF30 bottom brackets creak. This thread together style works great.

If you have BB92 style bottom bracket, this style is not an option. The smaller 41mm diameter bb shell does not leave a lot of options for 30mm crank spindles. Enduro makes a cool double rowed bearing that has been great.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 7:42 Quote
So I have a 2014 Trance Carbon, with a PF92- 24mm spindle.
What product would be best to replace my Bottom Bracket?

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 19:54 Quote
XCSUR4 wrote:
So I have a 2014 Trance Carbon, with a PF92- 24mm spindle.
What product would be best to replace my Bottom Bracket?

I like these style.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-92/bb86-92-outboard-angular-contact-bb-for-24mm-shimano-cranks-black.html

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006285
Mobile Version of Website