Getting motivated again?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Getting motivated again?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 16:12 Quote
Hey guys, looking for some tips. I have lost all motivation to ride, and have lost all my fitness. It's been a few months since my previous decent ride, and I do miss it but I can't get motivated. I bought myself a brand new bike last year, and i hated it from the very start, the way it handles, pedals and weighs, i blame this bike for lack of motivation.

I used to just look at my previous bike (giant trance) and just want to go riding, but looking at this bike puts me right off. I want to sell it and buy a different bike, but i fear that my motivation is lost that if i buy another bike it may just sit. Any tips? Anyone else gone through something like this? Is it just a phase?

~Elias

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 16:23 Quote
melias24 wrote:
Hey guys, looking for some tips. I have lost all motivation to ride, and have lost all my fitness. It's been a few months since my previous decent ride, and I do miss it but I can't get motivated. I bought myself a brand new bike last year, and i hated it from the very start, the way it handles, pedals and weighs, i blame this bike for lack of motivation.

I used to just look at my previous bike (giant trance) and just want to go riding, but looking at this bike puts me right off. I want to sell it and buy a different bike, but i fear that my motivation is lost that if i buy another bike it may just sit. Any tips? Anyone else gone through something like this? Is it just a phase?

~Elias

I find that watching really good mtb vid's gets me in the mood to ride. I'm almost 70 yrs old, so getting motivated to ride can be a challenge sometimes. I also bought a new bike a couple months ago, and that helps as well. Big Grin

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 17:12 Quote
melias24 wrote:

~Elias

What did you buy? If you bought a bike that is too much for your local trails it's not going to be any fun.

Edit: Genius LT Plus by the look of your profile? Try something else I guess.

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 17:44 Quote
cerebroside wrote:
melias24 wrote:

~Elias

What did you buy? If you bought a bike that is too much for your local trails it's not going to be any fun.

Yeah, genius LT720, its trash at climbing, but awesome in the descents, but our trails are very hilly with limited downhill. I need more of a mid travel bike i think.

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 17:44 Quote
cerebroside wrote:
melias24 wrote:

~Elias

Yes i've been watching alot of videos and it does make me want to ride.

Posted: Feb 7, 2018 at 14:20 Quote
melias24 wrote:

~Elias

Well to be fair, thats what I did, I bought a brand new bike and I have been riding every weekend and even feel myself enjoying it more. Also I have been wanting to lose weight and sitting in a gym is possibly the most boring thing I could think of.

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 at 12:19 Quote
Do you ride alone? What about mates? May be some motivation from them. Also try to go out to ride not only trails, as well as be with bike in short street riding.
Why did not you change the bike? I understand the downgrade of costs then you sale your bike, but I think the fun factor and to be in good mood the more important than stuck with bike that doesn't suit you.

Did you try change saddle position, tires, bar and stem length etc?

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 13:28 Quote
It's depression. Eek
Buy a new bike and send me both of them.
You will be good to go in no time, no more need to get motivated!

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 6:58 Quote
Same size bike? same geometry?
mediums bikes differ from manufacture and even within the same model sometimes. for instance the 2015 Devinci Troy is a totally different bike than the 2016 Devinci Troy, geo completely different.

The smallest difference in geo takes time to get used to. A racer friend of mine told me it takes him 3 months to feel completely comfortable when he switches bikes.

Give it some time, the more you ride the more you will find that you might need to tweak the bars, stem or seat.

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2018 at 18:49 Quote
Try somewhere new to ride too if you're on the same trails constantly!

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 14:39 Quote
SMOKE METH HAIL SATAN

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 12:36 Quote
I've got it easy, a trail dog that never says no! He needs to go out at least once a week, and it's at a bit of a chill pace. It's a great way to scope out new lines, bonus features etc. I also have a cheap winter fatbike to change it up, one mid summer ride on that and I'm loving my regular bike again. I've also started riding with groups again, mainly for DH, just again to change up the routine.

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 5:48 Quote
I have been there . Injuries , not satisfied with progress , burn out . Then over time you get the urge again . I can see how the wrong tool for the job could cause lack of motivation .

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 6:35 Quote
After I broke my collar bone Oct 2018 and spent 5 weeks off work, and up until now off the bike, it was definitely a bummer and makes you lose the drive. Like others has said, MTB videos on youtube help alot. I dont have experience with a trail dog but I'm 100% confident it would help.

Me personally, since I couldn't ride and the trails were also turning for the worst (winter in Toronto) , I would go on hikes through my local trails. I would imagine myself on the bike, which lines I would take, spot little jumps and find areas that I would never get to see because I am always just flying through the trails at breakneck speed( literally).
Then when I got home, I would be itching to get back on and ride.

Hope that helps!

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 23:38 Quote
did you pick up the biking bug again after all this time?

I'm in the process of losing the chonk to get back into biking - its been difficult as I've spent almost 6 months in the last 7 away from home with work commitments but its starting to settle. The trails are awesome at home and my lack of fitness has put me off so hence the decision to diet a large portion off before getting back in the saddle.

any decent recent DVDs worth buying to inspire at the moment?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012998
Mobile Version of Website