Honzo ST Adding Internal Cable Port

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Honzo ST Adding Internal Cable Port
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 18:56 Quote
Sitting on a 2017 Honzo ST as parts start to arrive. Considering some tweaks to the visual aspects, but also considering adding 2 ports to the down tube. One on the left side approx. 3” from the BB shell and one in the right Approx. 2” from the head tube. The purpose would be to clean up the routing of the dropper post cable. I know the cable would need to be a little longer too allow for enough slack to remove the post so I need to do a little testing to make sure it doesn’t end up needing to be too long. Has anyone done this? I expect by measuring twice and starting with a small bit and making 2 jumps up to the final but size it could be pretty clean when cleaned up with a dremel. Thanks.

-Andrew

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2018 at 15:00 Quote
That’s exactly what I did with my aluminum Specialized Fatboy for dropper routing. No issues over one year later.

I did find it’s a good idea to put a little RTV on the open hole where the casing goes in so that water doesn’t get in.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 6:45 Quote
[Quote="husstler"]That’s exactly what I did with my aluminum Specialized Fatboy for dropper routing. No issues over one year later.

I did find it’s a good idea to put a little RTV on the open hole where the casing goes in so that water doesn’t get in.[/Quote

My plan was to use the rubber grommet/cable insulators that they provide for the seatpost hole to help avoid any issues. I have already applied frame saver to the inside so it should be pretty protected and the grommets are pretty tight so short of completely submerging the frame, I think the chance of water intrusion is minimal. Thank you for your response.

-Andrew

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 8:32 Quote
Forgot to mention: I also drilled an oval hole. That really eased the cable casing angle where it goes into and out of the downtube. In my case, I just did it the mega-hack way where you just angle the drill bit once you already have a round hole, but that might not work so well in steel. I then

Online, I have seen people drill two 4 or 5mm hoes (or whatever size it was) and round file to get a similar effect.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 9:25 Quote
My plan was 2 holes, a calculated distance apart and the remaining metal to be taken out with a carbide dremel bit. The Kona grommets already have an angled port in them which I think will allow for a very smooth entrance.

-Andrew

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 14:00 Quote
That's a good plan! Then, some touch up paint or clearcoat around the edges would be great too.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010356
Mobile Version of Website