2018 Primer?

PB Forum :: Intense
2018 Primer?
Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 4, 2018 at 21:34 Quote
I rode a bunch of bikes at my LBS and one was a 2018 Primer. I currently ride a 2003 Kona FS and have no experience with most new bikes, especially 29ers. I found the Primer a very nice, composed, comfortable and stable ride. But... before I drop $5K I tried to find some reviews, and there are very few. Anybody have any experience with these? Seems like a good deal for a custom pro build with the SL frame, full Fox Factory 140/130, X01 full carbon, XT brakes, Reynolds carbon wheels, Renthal carbon and Maxxis for $5K out the door. Weight is a hair under 27 pounds w/o pedals. Red/Orange gloss. I'd like to know what other bikes this compares to. I was looking at the Bronson CC as a similar bike. Thanks!

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 at 15:52 Quote
outbackwack wrote:
I rode a bunch of bikes at my LBS and one was a 2018 Primer. I currently ride a 2003 Kona FS and have no experience with most new bikes, especially 29ers. I found the Primer a very nice, composed, comfortable and stable ride. But... before I drop $5K I tried to find some reviews, and there are very few. Anybody have any experience with these? Seems like a good deal for a custom pro build with the SL frame, full Fox Factory 140/130, X01 full carbon, XT brakes, Reynolds carbon wheels, Renthal carbon and Maxxis for $5K out the door. Weight is a hair under 27 pounds w/o pedals. Red/Orange gloss. I'd like to know what other bikes this compares to. I was looking at the Bronson CC as a similar bike. Thanks!

The primer was one of my favorite bikes i rode last season. Very playful and was able to handle some abuse. Felt fast like every 29nr ive been on but where it was new to me (short person ) was it was nimble and felt easy to throw around underneath me.

Posted: Feb 11, 2018 at 12:34 Quote
That's a fantastic deal! There are a bunch of reviews from 2017 when it was released. I don't think it changed much for '18.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 9:48 Quote
Well, I pulled the trigger on the bike build and hope to be riding it this weekend! I'll post a review after I get some miles on it at various local parks here in the Phoenix area. Stoked!

Posted: Feb 20, 2018 at 14:07 Quote
outbackwack wrote:
Well, I pulled the trigger on the bike build and hope to be riding it this weekend! I'll post a review after I get some miles on it at various local parks here in the Phoenix area. Stoked!

You won’t regret it, I love my primer! It’s my favorite bike I’ve ever owned. I work at a shop and it’s the only bike I’ve not replaced after a season or less. In fact the only reason I’d sell it is to buy a new one. In the last three years I’ve owned a Bronson, Remedy 29er, Hightower(and with longer shock like the lt), nomad, tracer and keep coming back to the primer. I’m using a 200x57 dpx2 rear shock which gives it around 150mm rear travel or you can but a recluse link that will give you 140 but even with stock 200x51 the bike is crazy good. I’ve currently running a 140 fox fork, but it jives with a 150. Even with the 150 or 160 fork it has better geos than many current bikes. I put xtr trail brakes on it and wish I went with Vees or Saints because this bike produces some serious speed. On some rides I feel like I’m cheating on the climbs it goes up hill so well and I’ve gotten away with riding with some really fit guys on some long rides when I was really spent from work or multi day rides and surprised I was able to hang in there. If you ride in rocky areas I’d suggest buying or making a beefier down tub protector, what it has is pretty weak. I will add it has a high/long seat tub, so if your on the line of sizes I’d at least sit on one to make sure you can run the proper length dropper.
Intense hit it out of the park with the primer

Posted: Feb 20, 2018 at 20:35 Quote
I wish you the best of luck on your new intense. Also give it a good washing, re torque hardware and thorough inspection twice a month. The only time I went more than 6 months beteween warranty claims was because I was in the hospital.

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 6:53 Quote
ViceGrips wrote:
outbackwack wrote:

You won’t regret it, I love my primer! It’s my favorite bike I’ve ever owned. I work at a shop and it’s the only bike I’ve not replaced after a season or less. In fact the only reason I’d sell it is to buy a new one. In the last three years I’ve owned a Bronson, Remedy 29er, Hightower(and with longer shock like the lt), nomad, tracer and keep coming back to the primer. I’m using a 200x57 dpx2 rear shock which gives it around 150mm rear travel or you can but a recluse link that will give you 140 but even with stock 200x51 the bike is crazy good. I’ve currently running a 140 fox fork, but it jives with a 150. Even with the 150 or 160 fork it has better geos than many current bikes. I put xtr trail brakes on it and wish I went with Vees or Saints because this bike produces some serious speed. On some rides I feel like I’m cheating on the climbs it goes up hill so well and I’ve gotten away with riding with some really fit guys on some long rides when I was really spent from work or multi day rides and surprised I was able to hang in there. If you ride in rocky areas I’d suggest buying or making a beefier down tub protector, what it has is pretty weak. I will add it has a high/long seat tub, so if your on the line of sizes I’d at least sit on one to make sure you can run the proper length dropper.
Intense hit it out of the park with the primer

Great to know... thanks! I thought about going with the DPS2 but figured I'd get to know the bike first and see what its pros and cons are before dropping more coin. If it's not all I was expecting I'll give the Primer to my wife and buy something in the 150-160mm range.

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 6:55 Quote
bambaatacas wrote:
I wish you the best of luck on your new intense. Also give it a good washing, re torque hardware and thorough inspection twice a month. The only time I went more than 6 months between warranty claims was because I was in the hospital.

Yeah, I was reading about your misfortunes with the Intense frames. I hope I don't join THAT club or I will be bullshit mad.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 at 11:40 Quote
outbackwack wrote:
Yeah, I was reading about your misfortunes with the Intense frames. I hope I don't join THAT club or I will be bullshit mad.

Unless you have a history of breaking bikes, you have nothing to worry about. Once you break 6 frames (frames that hundreds are riding daily with no issues), it's time to just resign yourself to the fact that you break things. Or maybe refine your riding so you don't break things. Either one. From my experience, having ridden with guys like that, acceptance and not continually buying brand new $6k bikes is generally the end result.

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 at 21:43 Quote
bambaatacas wrote:
I wish you the best of luck on your new intense. Also give it a good washing, re torque hardware and thorough inspection twice a month. The only time I went more than 6 months beteween warranty claims was because I was in the hospital.

If you are needing to torque the hardware all the time, you're not doing the correct procedure. They use the same collets as Santa Cruz and Yeti. You need to loctite the threads with blue loctite, lube the axle part, then use carbon paste where the collets spread against the carbon. Make sure that they are torqued properly and also watch for uneven wear as Fox bushings wear out pretty quickly. I'm guessing that you're breaking the frames around where the hardware is, particularly at the lower linkage when the lower collet loosens from not staying tight. Do the above procedure and you won't have any problems, that's for all bikes with collet style hardware.

Posted: Mar 22, 2018 at 21:21 Quote
I just got the primer about a month ago as well and I have been trying to find a good fit for more bottom bracket/downtube protection as vicegrips mentioned. Anyone have some good recommendations other than heli tape or other clear thin adhesive coverings. I want somethin to absorb impacts not protect the paint. Thanks!

Posted: Apr 11, 2018 at 11:11 Quote
I have a primer 2018 and love it. it pedals like a monster and is fast and stable down the hills

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 9:53 Quote
Looking at one of these as well. Curious if it can the primer handle 3-4ft drops and rough terrain. Not all the time but
2 rides a month of this with me (200lbs with gear) Smile

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 10:27 Quote
C-los wrote:
Looking at one of these as well. Curious if it can the primer handle 3-4ft drops and rough terrain. Not all the time but
2 rides a month of this with me (200lbs with gear) Smile

I do almost exclusively rough (rough isn't really the word - ridiculous is more like it) terrain and have survived a handful of 3-4ft drops on my Carbine. I would expect the Primer to do the same.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 16:02 Quote
Awesome. Between this and the carbine but I think the primer may be the best all around for what I am looking for. I have a DH bike for the parks and want to look into something that will pedal well but still can get rowdy.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019715
Mobile Version of Website