Rear mech compatibility

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rear mech compatibility
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 8, 2018 at 6:12 Quote
Hi there. I am running a 3x10 with a Shimano SLX M670 triple chainset (42,32,24T) with a 11-36 Shimano SLX cassette and a Shimano SLX M675 Shadow+ rear mech. I want to convert to 1x and put a Race Face Narrow Wide 32T chainring and also change the cassette to 11-42 or 11-46 (both 10 speed). My question is, will my current mech accept this setup or will i have to change the mech as well?

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 at 9:13 Quote
You should be fine using your existing SLX rear derailer in a 1x10 configuration but you will most likely need to adjust the b-tension to space the rear mech away from the largest ring on the rear cassette. Turn the b-tension inwards (clockwise) to space the rear mech outwards so that as you shift to your larger/ easiest gear the mech will have clearance.

If the b-tension screw doesn’t seem long enough for the clearance you need then take it out and put it back in from the other side.

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 at 10:40 Quote
I don't think you'd be satisfied with the performance using the slx 675 rear mech, IIRC it's rated for 36t capacity. You can make it work but the B screw adjustment is crazy. Check out some Youtube vids. There is a new SLX m7000 designed for high range 1 x 10 and would be a better fit IMO.

I'm hoping Shimano releases an XT version soon so I can swap some stuff. Otherwise I'll be picking up an m8000 11spd and using that as some people seem to be having luck with it on high range 10spd...

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 at 2:19 Quote
I have read somewhere that messing with the b screw will push the mech to its limits. I guess i will stick with my current setup for the moment and when the components wear out, I will upgrade to 11 speed. Thanks for your input guys!

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 at 9:07 Quote
Compatibility aside, you want one with a clutch or else that 1x drive train won’t feel right plus drops. Think saving for a full 11 system would be a good call. Either way you will be replacing the rear mech

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 16:06 Quote
To run a 10 speed SLX mech on a 42T cassette you will need a Oneup RadR cage adapter or the Wolftooth Goatlink. It might work on a 46T with both of those but Ive never tried it.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:30 Quote
arphia wrote:
To run a 10 speed SLX mech on a 42T cassette you will need a Oneup RadR cage adapter or the Wolftooth Goatlink. It might work on a 46T with both of those but Ive never tried it.

Why? Shimano now makes both a high range 10spd SLX derailleur (m7000) and cassette. You could alternatively use a Sunrace high range 10spd cassette. That RADr cage, if you can find one, is pretty much the same cost as a new derailleur! Same applies to the 42/16 cogs, pretty much on par with the cost of a new complete cassette.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 16:29 Quote
m1dg3t wrote:
arphia wrote:

Why? Shimano now makes both a high range 10spd SLX derailleur (m7000) and cassette. You could alternatively use a Sunrace high range 10spd cassette. That RADr cage, if you can find one, is pretty much the same cost as a new derailleur! Same applies to the 42/16 cogs, pretty much on par with the cost of a new complete cassette.

Goatlink is $20 and the sunrace 10 speed 11-42 is only $60. That's probably the cheapest way to upgrade to a wide range assuming he really wanted to stay 10 speed. I would run an 11speed sunrace 11-46 cassette with a Gx derailleur personally.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 17:53 Quote
Do not go over a 42t cogs in the rear. Your shifting will get terrible. This is with a goat link and a RAD cage.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015561
Mobile Version of Website